Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I thought reading comprehension was mandatory in higher education?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
    Ah, good ol' M.U. I still remember the alma mater song, Iä, Iä, Cthulhu ftaghn!
    And let's have a cheer for the football team, the fighting Cephalopods!
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
      And let's have a cheer for the football team, the fighting Cephalopods!
      Scuba suits and ice skates a standard part of the playing uniform...
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
        Chromatix, pick up any basic algebra text, anywhere. If we can get them through high school level algebra, those who want to can usually handle trig and calculus. The biggest hurdle is NOT a poor background in math, but rather, poor reading skills.
        I meant the reading-comprehension test.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
          I meant the reading-comprehension test.
          I don't know that it was ever actually developed as a paper for the prereq. I do know that we also offer reading comprehension classes, and before being allowed to take English Composition courses, students have to pass a certain level of reading AND writing skill assessment tests. I think the attempt was to have students also pass a certain level of reading comprehension before being allowed to register for any level of math, including the remedial courses.
          Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I think the attempt was to have students also pass a certain level of reading comprehension before being allowed to register for any level of math, including the remedial courses.
            Expletive! It should be a pre-requisite for college! It used to be part of the SATs;* did they drop it?

My mother is rolling in her grave! (She taught High School and College English.) God bless her; I was reading at college level in 7th grade - which I know because reading comp tests were given every year. **

*I took them more than 40 years ago...
            I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
            - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

Quoth paxillated View Post
              [Reading comprehension] used to be part of the SATs;* did they drop it?
              Not as of my somewhat more recent 25 years ago.
              Last edited by BPFH; 01-12-2015, 03:44 PM. Reason: 1990 IS 25 years ago now...
              "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Quoth BPFH View Post
                Not as of my somewhat more recent 25 years ago.
                I vaguely remember taking the SAT back in 1988 and to my recollection they didn't have a reading comprehension section.

I recall taking a verbal studies part and a math part (scored way higher on the verbal than I did math, but I digress) so I'm guessing sometime during the 80's it could have been changed.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                X