X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And on New Year's Eve?

I get this lovely, gem of a call....

SC: I just got a call about 4 - 5 minutes ago from someone saying they are from your fraud department and they said that they suspected fraud on my card and now there's a hold on it
    ME: I'm not seeing any hold on your account, but I'd be more than happy to connect you with our fraud departm--
    SC:THEY'RE PROBABLY CLOSED! I just want to make sure I can use my card. All this and on new year's eve!

Really? How about having to listen to you imbeciles on New Year's Eve?
    "My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She's ninety-seven now, and we don't know where the hell she is." - Ellen DeGeneres

It was probably a scam call anyway, considering that you didn't see a hold.

Comment

Maybe but if transactions were verified inn the call he recieved, there would be no hold. Charges verified=all good.
      "My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She's ninety-seven now, and we don't know where the hell she is." - Ellen DeGeneres

Comment

SC was off to a good start too. You should ALWAYS call your bank to verify stuff like that.
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Slightly sideways to the topic, we've had our bank call to verify charges we've made on our cards more than once. They don't ask to verify card or account numbers, they only ask if they're speaking to <name on account> after calling the phone number they have for the account, and on a positive they simply start listing business name and amount of recent charges for a 'yes' or 'no'. What boggles me is that invariably the charges will all be our usual local stuff and I'm left wondering why the hell one of our accounts got flagged for a fraud check? I think our bank (credit union really, not that I'm exactly sure what the difference is) sometimes gets just a teensy bit paranoid what with the proliferation of security breaches at so many companies.
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
            (credit union really, not that I'm exactly sure what the difference is) sometimes gets just a teensy bit paranoid what with the proliferation of security breaches at so many companies.
            Credit Unions are "member owned". Meaning, if you have an account, you partly own the 'bank'. As such, you generally get better interest rates and lower fees. Some places even have members come in to vote on major decisions (not all do this).

Banks are "privately or publicly owned". They answer to the owner or the stockholders. They have more resources to offer more services. But they are more profit driven, meaning, they give worse interest rate and higher fees.

(note: this is to my best understanding, please correct me if I am wrong)

Paranoia is good, better then indifference.
            I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
              SC was off to a good start too. You should ALWAYS call your bank to verify stuff like that.
              Of course. It's very important to do so....just don't be a dick about it.

Comment

Future bills

Quoth shanarocks View Post
                I get this lovely, gem of a call....

SC: I just got a call about 4 - 5 minutes ago from someone saying they are from your fraud department and they said that they suspected fraud on my card and now there's a hold on it
                ME: I'm not seeing any hold on your account, but I'd be more than happy to connect you with our fraud departm--
                SC:THEY'RE PROBABLY CLOSED! I just want to make sure I can use my card. All this and on new year's eve!

Really? How about having to listen to you imbeciles on New Year's Eve?
                Why is it that I think that later this person is going to find bills on their card?

They did not give you enough time to ask any questions.

For all we know they asked for the credit card number and the code on the back and the customer gave it to them.

This customer jumps to conclusions, so be prepared when the brown stuff hits the air movement device.

Comment

Yup. And, in the event that his card is used fraudulently, it'll be our fault because we didn't shut it down. The nerve of some people....

Comment

Quoth shanarocks View Post
                    Wait a minute. If the fraud department is probably closed, how did they just call the card holder?
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                      Wait a minute. If the fraud department is probably closed, how did they just call the card holder?
                      Good question.

I would think that a bank's fraud department would be open 24/7, or am I wrong on that?

I've had a call or two in the past when my bank was Walk-All-Over-You wanting to verify specific charges on my card. Both instances I had authorized the charges but for some reason the bank thought it suspicious (one instance was one wee early last minute Christmas shopping I was trying to do and apparently the site I later learned didn't process payments at that time of day. Other instance was an overseas retailer where I was purchasing a long wished for DVD set.) Both times everything was sorted out with no heart attack or stroke on my part.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                        I would think that a bank's fraud department would be open 24/7, or am I wrong on that?
                        I used to work in the loss prevention department of a bank, and we worked 8-5 on weekdays and 7:30-1:30 on Saturdays, although this was a local bank. I would imagine a large bank like Chase would have have a 24/7 fraud department.

Comment

Quoth ironclad alibi
                          That's the customer being a dumbass with assumptions right there. I was *trying* to get him connected to the fraud department.

Quoth siskaren View Post
                          I used to work in the loss prevention department of a bank, and we worked 8-5 on weekdays and 7:30-1:30 on Saturdays, although this was a local bank. I would imagine a large bank like Chase would have have a 24/7 fraud department.
                          I work for Big Patriotic Bank. Almost every department is 24hrs. Almost.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                            There's also a phone scam that claims to be the fraud department. They either just try a bank card at random on the chance that the victim might have one, or else they just say "your credit card". Both continue with some social engineering to try to get the account number and other details.
                            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                              There's also a phone scam that claims to be the fraud department. They either just try a bank card at random on the chance that the victim might have one, or else they just say "your credit card". Both continue with some social engineering to try to get the account number and other details.
                              Exactly why I wanted to transfer him to our fraud department.

Comment

Working...
                              X