This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Penguin.

So it's been a while since I had anything post worthy, but in the life of anyone who does retail, a lot of crap shall fall. It was only a matter of time before this happened. BG I work for a cinema.

It was one of our busiest weekends in a long time, all our screens were sold out, and understandably, the concessions stand was very busy. So busy that with every box of popcorn sold, inevitably, some falls on the ground in front of the stand. We clean after every walk in since it'd be pointless to try during a busy period. All available staff were on the tills and still feeling flash mobbed.

Enter HER: a woman in her 50's, who can only be described as...well, the penguin, ala batman returns, only wearing bright red lipstick and sporting a beehive hairdo.

She waddles up to my till, a look of disgust already on her face, so I know this is going to be good (heh).

Penguin: "I want two tickets for *movie* and can I just mention, when I walked through the door there was this terrible smell!

Me: *thinking* (was it the stench of your dank, and entitled demeanour perhaps? ) Oh?

Penguin: And then I see all this popcorn all over the floor down here! Don't you have someone to clean that up??

At this point I look at the massive queue, the mass of staff struggling to serve everyone before Showtime, then back at the crazy old woman. Surely she can see we are swamped, a few pieces of salted popcorn are not going to cause a "terrible smell". She was acting like she was standing on a landfill site. There couldn't have been more than a few scant pieces of popcorn on that floor. And given that's where people queue, cleaning wouldn't be feasible without moving all the customers.

Me: We are very busy at the moment, we can't serve and clean at once, I'd need to move all these people to do so.

Penguin then waddled off having paid for her items with a grumpy huff.

What is wrong with some people? It's like they go out with the intention of nitpicking every opportunity they have. You're supposed to be having a day out, cheer up you miserable moo!

Every person working retail has encountered this type of person at least once. If they're lucky. Most of us have had to deal with this multiple times. It never gets any easier. It doesn't matter how hard you're working, or that you're dealing with a wave of customers, this customer will always berate you for overlooking something, and it's usually over something totally unimportant, which just makes the whole complaint even more maddening.

Comment

We had another one of these types shortly after her. An old woman shouting at us for "forcing" her to walk all the way up the steps to grab a copy of our film listings. Guess she didn't see the lift right next to the stairs. But after chewing us out for this, she stormed off without her listings. I went down the stairs to the foyer with the intention of filling the leaflet holders up, only to find they were fully stocked...She had walked right by them.

Comment

Quoth Legacy_of_Torment View Post
        We had another one of these types shortly after her. An old woman shouting at us for "forcing" her to walk all the way up the steps to grab a copy of our film listings. Guess she didn't see the lift right next to the stairs. But after chewing us out for this, she stormed off without her listings. I went down the stairs to the foyer with the intention of filling the leaflet holders up, only to find they were fully stocked...She had walked right by them.
        So it was her own damn fault then. I hate that she made you think the leaflet holders were empty, only to find them full. Customers are stupid but they make it seem like we are the ones who aren't doing our jobs properly.

Comment

Completely her fault. I even looked around to see if I could spot the cantankerous old hag, with the soul intention of pointing out what a moron she had been. Sadly, she was nowhere to be seen

Comment

She probably would have accused you either of a> making her look stupid, or b> filling them up after she saw them...
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I love that term, making someone look stupid - you're not, the idiot did a good enough job on their own, all you're doing is pointing it out

Comment

cheer up, you miserable moo!
                You're assuming she knows how . . .

Comment

I wonder what would happen if, upon her complaining about the mess, you simply stopped serving her and attended to the mess?

I know, but I can dream...

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                    You're assuming she knows how . . .
                    Good point!

And had there not been a huge line of perfectly well-mannered customers standing behind her, I might have begun cleaning up around her feet, if only to show her how ridiculous that notion was.
                    "Excuse me madam...and again...and again."

Comment

Penguin: And then I see all this popcorn all over the floor down here! Don't you have someone to clean that up??

At this point I look at the massive queue, the mass of staff struggling to serve everyone before Showtime, then back at the crazy old woman. Surely she can see we are swamped, a few pieces of salted popcorn are not going to cause a "terrible smell". She was acting like she was standing on a landfill site. There couldn't have been more than a few scant pieces of popcorn on that floor. And given that's where people queue, cleaning wouldn't be feasible without moving all the customers.

Me: We are very busy at the moment, we can't serve and clean at once, I'd need to move all these people to do so.

Penguin then waddled off having paid for her items with a grumpy huff.
                      You can't do it, of course, but I would have loved for you to have announced to the waiting crowd that they were going to have to wait for food because Penguin here has DEMANDED you clean up this mess RIGHT NAO!!!

Then wait for the crowd to murder her before going back to serving...

Comment

Working...
                      X