This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun at the markets

Having recently got back to NZ from my vacation a couple of days back, I missed out on an opportunity to set up a stall at a market this weekend, so I decided to go for a wander there anyway and see what kind of stalls were already selling there, one stall was quite a lovely place that sold hand-made things like plates, bowls, etc - all made completely by herself (fired in a kiln located on her premises) and priced quite reasonably for the quality of them, I got into a bit of a conversation with her and asked roughly how much time went into the pieces, she replying anywhere between 15-20 hours total.

Enter Madam Cat-Butt. She is one of those stereotypical rich snobs that won't buy anything unless she can pay the absolute minimum for something, this was quite visible from the way she was looking at the price tags with distaste, picking up a plate that was priced at around $40 and saying "Hmph, I wouldn't pay a cent over $10 for something like this..." deliberately just loud enough for us to hear.

Not taking a bar of it, the stall owner said politely but firmly "Madam, my goods are very fairly priced, each work has anywhere up to 25 hours of labour put into them, by stating such an insulting offer, you are saying that my work is not even worth 50 cents an hour, or that I'm lower than chinese slave labour. Now please put that plate down and move away from my stall."

MCB glared at the stall owner and snapped "You can't talk to customers like that! I'm going to make sure you are out of here by lunchtime, mark my words"

The stall owner shrugged and rubbed more salt in the wounds by saying "Consider them marked"

Seeing MCB stalk off, I politely excused myself for a moment and shadowed MCB, seeing her head for the stall of the people that run the market, sure enough she was kicking up one heck of a stink, saying that she had made what she thought was a fair offer and that the owner should be flattered she thought it was worth that much, etc etc.

The market organiser pretty much burst into laughter, saying "Not only would I have done the same, but I'm certain any other stall owner here would have given a similar response. Now please leave this market, you are no longer welcome here."

Not getting the response she sought, MCB gave a dagger-glare and stomped off outside. This should be the end of the matter, right? WROOOONG!

About an hour later, I decided to go outside to get a bit of fresh air, who should I see but MCB standing vigil at the entrance, accosting people about to enter, saying they should not enter because the stallholders did not respect their customers and they should take their business elsewhere.

Enough was enough - I saw the local community constable doing his patrol (Markets like that sadly do attract petty theft, so the police have a small presence there), I went over and had a quick word with him, he intercepting MCB and telling her that she was being trespassed from the property and to leave immediately or she would be arrested for trespass and disturbing the peace.

So that is not one, not two, but THREE cans of pwnade opened on one EW in the space of maybe 90 minutes.
    Last edited by Kagato; 01-11-2015, 10:10 AM.
    Violets are blue,
    Roses are red,
    I bequeath to thee...
    A boot to the head >_>

Hopefully the female dog has learned her lesson and won't come back. Yeah...

Comment

If she does any time in the next 2 years, she will be arrested for violating a trespass order. (standard length for a New Zealand trespass order)
      Violets are blue,
      Roses are red,
      I bequeath to thee...
      A boot to the head >_>

Comment

WOOHOO! She got totally pwned. Sucks for her that all the people she complained to/about had back bones made of steel. Hah. That'll teach her. Well, probably not, because those sorts of customers never learn, but at least she got her just desserts.

Comment

Quoth Kagato View Post
          If she does any time in the next 2 years, she will be arrested for violating a trespass order. (standard length for a New Zealand trespass order)
          That's excellent! Of course it has to be enforced, something that sadly seems to not happen on this side of the divide...

Comment

That is freaking awesome, thanks so much for standing up for those stall holders!
            Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
            What's the difference?
            We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Those three servings of PWNADE(TM) add up into a big ol' PWNZER. Good on ya all!
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I'm glad I've never had that happen so badly with my stuff at conventions or markets; I've given people $5, $10 off deals here and there if the probability is poor I'm going otherwise sell the item, or I just want to be rid of it, or what they have is what they have and I'll do the deal. Never been insulted like that though. I don't know what I'll do when that happens!
                "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I like to "wheel and deal" a bit at markets and fairs. I would never go more than 20% lower on my initial offer.

But to offer only 1/4th the marked value on handmade wares? No, I almost never haggle on handmade wares because, Like the Artisan said, it takes a long time to make the items. In fact, they could reasonably ask $20 more (depending on the area).
                  I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

What a hag! And she just kept going and going... The ending is amazing, told to leave by law enforcement. Just great.
                    Last edited by notalwaysright; 01-12-2015, 03:45 AM.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

What a twat. And she had the nerve to call herself a customer? She wasn't intending to buy anything, she just wanted to show how "superior" she thought she was. Nobody needs "customers" like that.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Bloody hell! Where was this, Titirangi?
                        Is it Asshole Day or what? - MoonCat
                        It's ALWAYS Asshole Day. - Jay2KWinger

Comment

Just goes to show...you can't have haggling without hags.

Comment

Working...
                          X