Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, with bonus gender-bending!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damned if you do, damned if you don't, with bonus gender-bending!

Lately at Elongated Hexagon Inn, we have begun writing "guest letters" once more. We're doing this because it's been discovered that out satisfaction ratings have been dropping, largely because the entire hotel has been infested with stink bugs since the fall. Granted, the entire region is infested with the little shits, because they're an invasive species that no one has yet quite figured out how to kill safely, but that is beside the point. Management was content to lose hundreds of dollars a week and sometimes thousands of dollars a month to the "Please Steal From Us" guarantees we had to issue to people upset about bugs in their rooms until one savvy traveler wrote about the issue both on Twitter and also on a popular online travel rating site. That certainly lit a fire under the asses of management, who swung into action and finally hired an exterminator who claimed to be able to deal with the problem. Then, for good measure, they decided that the way to repair the damage done by their benign neglect of the issue was to write smarmy letters to randomly-selected guests.

These letters are to be handwritten. We are to write them to guests we've made a "connection" with or, barring that, any old five who catch your eye. As I'm the night auditor, I rarely connect with guests. Connecting with one guest is too many as far as I'm concerned. Thus, I've been writing little thank-you's to the first five guests lucky enough to stay on the first floor, as their receipts are the first ones I come to when I'm folding them up so the security guard can stick them under their doors.

Two stories about that:

Gender-Bender!

We shall call the guest Lulabelle Murphy, because it was something equally feminine. I wrote a nice little note to Ms. Murphy, thanking her for her stay, hoping that her stay had been pleasant, and wishing her safe travels. In the morning, Mr. Lulabelle Murphy came to the front desk to extend his stay another four days. Mr. Lulabelle Murphy had biceps the size of cantaloupes, probably as a result of having been beaten up every day of his childhood as the result of having been given a woman's first name and eventually tiring of it. He was a good sport about it, electing not to mention it. Good man, Mr. Lulabelle.

Grumpy Old Man

This morning, a grumpy old man approached the front desk to ask when another of the front desk agents would be working again. I told him I didn't know because one, that was true, and two, we're not allowed to say after the debacle with Jersey Marge becoming infatuated with one of the male desk clerks and trying to give him her personal cell phone number.

This was not good enough for the grumpy old man, who asked if I was the manager. I said I was not, and that I was only the night auditor, and upon hearing this he replied sarcastically, "My mistake! I thought you were somebody who worked here!"

Then he sat down and bitched to his wife about my attitude loud enough for me to hear.

Then he came back up and asked after the desk clerk again. I told him again that I did not know when she would be working, and that we have two agents by that name and I did not even know which one he was referring to. This was also not good enough, and he asked if there was anyone else he could talk to who would know.

As it turned out there was, and she was signing in at that very moment. The grumpy old man, in fact, was my very last customer of the shift. It was literally seconds before my shift ended. The grumpy old man asked if there was a business card he could take, because he intended to write management to tell them what a wonderful job that agent he was asking after had done and also what a wonderful job I had done, the sarcastic bastard.

Then he went away and bitched to his wife some more.

Then he came back. By this time the other agent had arrived, and the grumpy old man approached her and asked her when the other desk agent would be working again. She told him she could not tell him due to policy, at which point the grumpy old man told her that he was retired Coast Guard and that if he was younger, he would have jumped the counter and throttled me because I was rude, I did not know my job, and if I'm going to be working with the public, I need to know how to do my job.

All that, for saying I did not know when she would be working again. Yes indeed, this is definitely the stable, level-headed sort of individual we need to give other employees' schedules to. All this because, I strongly suspect, he was one of the people that employee had written one of those goddamned guest letters to.

Bastard. I can't wait to see what he writes in his review of our property. It's three days into the guest letter requirement and already it's not worth the trouble it's causing.
    Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 01-13-2015, 12:03 PM.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

That sucks that they're making you do that. Honestly, I think I would be a little creeped out to get a hand-written letter from a staff member (as opposed to a computer/generic letter from manager/owner, which would be weird but not creepy).

Comment

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
      Gender-Bender!

We shall call the guest Lulabelle Murphy, because it was something equally feminine. I wrote a nice little note to Ms. Murphy, thanking her for her stay, hoping that her stay had been pleasant, and wishing her safe travels. In the morning, Mr. Lulabelle Murphy came to the front desk to extend his stay another four days. Mr. Lulabelle Murphy had biceps the size of cantaloupes, probably as a result of having been beaten up every day of his childhood as the result of having been given a woman's first name and eventually tiring of it. He was a good sport about it, electing not to mention it. Good man, Mr. Lulabelle.
      He could have easily been named "Sue"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gbtm-93oqE

Also, in my area, they used to run these commercials where they have the "testimonials". They were originally radio spots, but when they did a TV spot, they had a MAN on there named "Bernice". It wasn't pronounced "Ber-neese" like you'd think. It was pronounced more like "Bur-niss".

But it was definitely a dude.
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I wouldn't be freaked out, only because I work in retail, and some employees (thankfully NOT me) have to keep notes about interactions with customers, a log book, AND write a personal note to so many per week. those they made a "connection" with. I am so happy that its only for those who work 20+ hours, and being that i'm only PT, i don't come close to that. I hate it anyway. I will say, when I've placed phone orders from a specific outlet store, I've gotten a nice 2 sentence thank you note, which I don't mind.

But in my store they are required to make them "meaningful" and invite them back to shop, etc. No thank you. I come in when I choose.

Comment

I don't understand some people. It sounds to me like he just wanted to be mean to someone, and you were it.

Comment

I really don't get making the employees hand-write personal notes to customers.

No, thank you.
            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

People complain about stinkbugs in their rooms?

They invade my house every single year. In the fall I find at least 10 a week on the curtains or the bathroom mirror.

Who do I complain to?

(I catch them (carefully!) and deposit them outside. They're harmless)

And I NEVER give out my co-workers' schedules to anyone. If you're their friend, you should know it, or be able to contact them to find out.
              https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                And I NEVER give out my co-workers' schedules to anyone. If you're their friend, you should know it, or be able to contact them to find out.
                Agreed, let the stalkers do their ownn legwork.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Ashaela View Post
                  That sucks that they're making you do that. Honestly, I think I would be a little creeped out to get a hand-written letter from a staff member (as opposed to a computer/generic letter from manager/owner, which would be weird but not creepy).
                  I heard this in my 8th grade science class repeatedly:

Teacher: "Okay, BPFH, Gretchen, whose paper is this?"

My handwriting has not improved since then, and a work assignment like this wouldn't give me much incentive...
                  "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Takes a special kind of entitlement to decide that you deserve to die for following policy, but another member of staff doesn't...
                    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

She told him she could not tell him due to policy, at which point the grumpy old man told her that he was retired Coast Guard and that if he was younger, he would have jumped the counter and throttled me because I was rude, I did not know my job, and if I'm going to be working with the public, I need to know how to do my job.
                      Another case of a SC thinking words don't matter, and that verbal threats are okay. If I heard someone say that about me, at my work, I would go sit in the locked office until they left, I'm not joking.

When someone uses the word "attitude" it's generally because they don't have anything specific to complain about.
                      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Stink bugses. How we hateses them, precious.

Our solution in our house (because the house rule is "you have the whole outside to live in, you come inside, you a dead bug") is to flush stink bugs down the toilet.
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                          Another case of a SC thinking words don't matter, and that verbal threats are okay. If I heard someone say that about me, at my work, I would go sit in the locked office until they left, I'm not joking.

When someone uses the word "attitude" it's generally because they don't have anything specific to complain about.
                          I don't blame you. You never know what to expect anymore. Old or not, a threat is a threat and I don't take kindly to them.
                          "My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She's ninety-seven now, and we don't know where the hell she is." - Ellen DeGeneres

Comment

Lately at Elongated Hexagon Inn, we have begun writing "guest letters" once more.
                            Yet another Brilliant Idea™ from Corporate, whose motto is, "You must do it because we don't have to!"
                            In the morning, Mr. Lulabelle Murphy came to the front desk to extend his stay another four days. Mr. Lulabelle Murphy had biceps the size of cantaloupes, probably as a result of having been beaten up every day of his childhood as the result of having been given a woman's first name and eventually tiring of it.
                            I can't understand why Mr. Lulabelle hasn't changed his name by now, or even just gone by "Lou".
                            By this time the other agent had arrived, and the grumpy old man approached her and asked her when the other desk agent would be working again. She told him she could not tell him due to policy, at which point the grumpy old man told her that he was retired Coast Guard and that if he was younger, he would have jumped the counter and throttled me because I was rude, I did not know my job, and if I'm going to be working with the public, I need to know how to do my job.
                            "Oh, this really makes me want to endanger my coworkers now! And yes, I do know how to do my job, and that includes keeping people on both sides of the counter safe!"
                            It's three days into the guest letter requirement and already it's not worth the trouble it's causing.
                            Something that anyone could've predicted. Except of course, for Corporate, who still thinks it's a Brilliant Idea™.
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

All this because, I strongly suspect, he was one of the people that employee had written one of those goddamned guest letters to.
                              I hate this. We don't have a guest letter program, but we do sign responses to guest service emails with our names. I've gotten so many calls like this:

SC: "Is XXX there?"
                              Me: "No not currently. Is there something I may assist you with?"
                              SC: "Oh, I need to talk to XXX. It's complicated and she knows what's up."

Inevitably, when I speak with XXX they have no clue who SC is, and when they call back it's something super simple like they need to change a date on a reservation or something. Something literally anyone else at the desk could have taken care.

I actually called a guest back who left a voicemail asking for a CW and told her that CW wasn't in today. CW was actually standing next to me and gave me a high-five. After some hemming and hawing I finally got that the SC just wanted to request adjoining rooms to her reservations. That was it. That was literally all.

It's like once they get our names, we become their personal servants and no one else can help them.
                              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Working...
                              X