This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new job, new suck...

so my husband and i started a new job a few weeks ago in a big yellow campground in TX... nice little place... very quiet, so consequently very low hours. basically, we work 2 7 hour days to give the pair of managers a well deserved break (they hadn't had a day off in "a really long time" before we arrived), and i work 2 hours a day for another 3 days cleaning the bathrooms (this is important) and other miscellaneous odd jobs.

the players in this little drama:
    SC - a monthly guest on her 4th month staying with us
    DH: dear hubby
    OM: old manager
    NM: new manager
    me

also important tidbit... we've worked at big yellow campgrounds since 2008... i know the computerized registration program VERY well... frequently better than most of the managers and owners i've worked under .. so i am frequently called upon to train new employees.

it started out simply enough. i was covering the office while NM was on lunch. Ms. SC comes in to pay her monthly rent. my DH has been wanting to learn the registration program for quite some time, and we figured this is a quiet enough park, he can easily learn it without stressing about the line building up or the phones ringing off the hook. i start walking him through how to renew someone for a month. there are notes, and when i check them they are a running tally of meter readings for the electric bill. i send DH out to read the meter, and then check the previous months rent amount... and here is where the trouble starts.

the first month she was there her rent was $400, the 2nd month it was $375, and the 3rd month it was $350... and then she says to me "my rent is supposed to be $325 this month and from now on." i'm brand new. i've never talked to this woman before, and this is the first monthly i've had to process... despite the obvious pattern, i can't just take your word for it, i have to run it by my manager. i didn't say that.. but that's what i was thinking. i did tell her i had to ask a manager about the pricing. she gets a little frustrated and asks when OM will be in next. i told her he'd be in tomorrow, then told her that NM is on lunch and will be back in just a few minutes. she got a bit snotty and said she'd come back and talk to OM tomorrow because "you don't know what you're doing." (apparently, according to DH, she thought NM is a jerk. too bad for her OM will be leaving soon). i gently bit firmly told her "ma'am i know the computer system very well, i just need to verify the price with my manager because i'm new to THIS park."

this seemed to calm her a bit, but she was still irritated. DH ran around to the NM's rig to get him (he's parked right behind the building. very close) and while we waiting we started chatting, and i commented that i'd been cleaning the restrooms. she immediately said "oh, did you mop the floors? they're filthy...they haven't been cleaned in months". oh H*** no you didn't just go there!!!! i just spent the last 2 weeks deep cleaning every inch of those bathrooms removing God knows how much neglect... on my hands and knees with Barkeepers Friend and a scrubby pad scrubbing away the soap scum in the bottoms of the showers, on a ladder wiping down the walls and cleaning the ceiling fans, etc etc etc... and literally not even 4 days before this conversation i spent over an hour with a scrub brush scrubbing every inch and every single line of grout in the ladies room...a 3 shower stall and 5 toilet stall bathroom. i was WORE OUT after that day.... and now she says i didn't mop?!?!?!??? i managed to restrain myself to only say "i just scrubbed that whole floor a few days ago." she seemed unconvinced, but fortunately DH arrived right about then with NM, who verified that the rent that month was $325. apparently this person had taken a deal offered by a previous manager or owner for a descending rent amount to drum up more business.

we finished the rest of her transaction without any further incident, and i made a note in the file that her future rent was going to be $325. i'm only there till April. i don't want the next person to get screwed over by lack of notation like i was.

ah well... that's the first suck i've had to deal with in quite some time, and even then in the grand scheme of things it's a relatively minor one... she just kinda irked me real good... but all things said and done, not bad. hopefully the rest of my time here will be peaceful.

Sounds like the SC was trying to get a rise out of you.

I never thought about working at a campground before. It sounds kinda interesting... I want to say fun but I don't want to jinx anything

Comment

Wow. She sounds horrible. She seemed to have it in for you because "you don't know what you're doing" and when you mentioned that you also cleaned the bathrooms, she saw an opening to bully you, and she took it. Absolutely uncalled for.

Comment

A Bet

How much do you want to bet that next month she will claim the rent now is $300!

Comment

I always hate people who bitch about so called uncleanliness in loos. The ones at the supermarket are cleaned twice daily and sometimes more by the janitor; I'm betting that's a hell of a lot more than some SCs clean theirs. And yet, there will still be a regular occurrence of some SC whinging about the loos being dirty. Well, SC, if you think you can do better, feel free to clean them yourself... preferably with your own toothbrush.
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

I'm just happy if the toilet is flushed, and TP is available.
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
              Sorry, I also insist on a cubicle door that a) locks and b) has no holes in the panel from someone's foot/head/fist. I also insist on a loo that is actually screwed to the floor, and that the bowl doesn't have any cracks which leak when someone is using it.

Yes, I have been in some rough pubs in my life. What always boggled me was that the spit 'n sawdust pubs that were home to goths and the alternative scene generally had clean loos in reasonable states of repair (if dated by about 30 years) while some of the mainstream "nicer" pubs had loos that looked like they'd been lifted from a war zone.
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Funny loo story; once, back in the days of yore when I was a student, someone actually managed to steal one of the urinals from the gents in the pub across the road from the college, where all the students went. XD They somehow managed to unscrew it from the wall and carry it thru a packed bar, without anyone noticing. I was drinking in there at the time with some of my fellow A-Levelers and saw nothing. The theft was only noticed when a normie (ie a non student) went to the gents and noticed that one of the urinals was missing, with a fountain of water from the pipe in its place.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

If those genius plumbers had stolen a toilet from the police station, the investigation would have run into a dead end right away - the police would have had nothing to go on.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                    Sorry, I also insist on a cubicle door that a) locks and b) has no holes in the panel from someone's foot/head/fist. I also insist on a loo that is actually screwed to the floor, and that the bowl doesn't have any cracks which leak when someone is using it.
                    I also want a hook for my purse and coat.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                      Can we add no holes about waist high about six inches in diameter to the next stall? (Seen in a rest-stop men's room on a California freeway.)
                      I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth siskaren View Post
                        I also want a hook for my purse and coat.
                        I hate public restrooms without hooks on the doors...whenever I'm forced to hang my coat over the top of the door while I do my business, I always have this paranoid fantasy about someone grabbing my coat and booking it out of the restroom while I'm frantically wiping and pulling up my pants in order to pursue.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                          I hate public restrooms without hooks on the doors...whenever I'm forced to hang my coat over the top of the door while I do my business, I always have this paranoid fantasy about someone grabbing my coat and booking it out of the restroom while I'm frantically wiping and pulling up my pants in order to pursue.
                          It's not that paranoid. There are a few stories of purses being stolen from the hook itself. I don't generally worry about that, but I somehow always keep my coat on while I do my business. Even my long coats, just hike it up under an arm. Not glamorous, but it's worked for me so far. I basically go in with the assumption that I won't be able to put anything down. I don't even assume I can safely sit down. Possibly I've been to too many icky bathrooms. I can "hover" over the seat like a ninja.
                          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Lol, if you're drunk, then as long as there's a hole to pee in... XD
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                              Me too but it's also a bonus if the toilet seat is dry and the sink looks clean.

I've visited some public facilities that looked decent, while others were a total disaster.

I've been in restrooms where toilet paper and paper towels were strewn all over the floor, the seats had been peed on and at least one of the bowls had not been flushed.

If it's THAT bad, I'll hold it and go to the next nearest place. I've dealt with UTI's before and don't want to risk another one.
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X