This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throwing and Tantrums

I didn't want to threadjack Really's thread about customers throwing stuff. Also has a bit of MiM.

A number of years ago, or about two SM's and three ASM's ago (or so, I've stopped counting), it was a busy day at Random Craft Store. I was called up front to help get the lines down so when I got up there I got some of the customers who had been up at the front of the very long lines (even with three other people it was still busy). Before any of them could get over to my register a lady comes walking up out of the blue and tries to get in front of everyone else. Other customers were not amused.

I politely tell her that there are others that have been waiting longer and she jumped in front of them. She stared at me for, like, a couple of seconds then threw a package of very small CLEAR seed beads* at the floral display before screaming that we were pieces of shit and it's no wonder she goes to [competitor] before flinging her hand basket at the nearest customer and storms out. The whole front has gone silent at this point, the customer who the woman flung the basket at thankfully wasn't hit, and it took a bit to get all of those beads up.

By the time I had left for the day the customer who had thrown an adult-sized temper tantrum had called the store to complain. The SM wrote me up for 'failure to assist a customer' even though he had seen and heard everything -- and he hadn't even made sure the other customer was okay! Course this is the same SM who, despite being told how wonderful all the hard working people are, made several of these same people quit.

*If anyone who does even the slightest bit of jewelry or costume making you'll know how small seed beads can get. The smallest is tiny enough that even with good eyesight it's hard for me to even see the hole sometimes. The package the woman threw was one of the smaller sized ones, generally there's probably a good thousand or so of these things in a single package.
    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

I know seed beads well. You have my sympathies.

And the manager who wrote you up was a dickhead.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Yes, the manager was a dickhead. That bitch should've been arrested for destruction of property and attempted battery. The more sucky customers are allowed to get away with this crap, the more they will do it.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I too know seed beads. Those things are a bitch to work with.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Like I've said before, throwing items at a cashier or another customer is NEVER acceptable, even if it's just a bag of marshmallows. It STILL counts as assault, and any manager who would allow this to happen is a colossal prick.

Comment

I've never yet had anything thrown near or at me, so I don't know how I'd react. If it was at a place with cameras, my reaction is to try* to make corporate pull the footage to show the situation. This makes me wonder how New Manager would react. I actually can't imagine any of our managers doing what yours did. That sucks. And it's a no win scenario for you, really. I mean, if you helped the psycho lady you'd have gotten complaints from the waiting people, maybe even multiple complaints.

*as far as I know, footage is hardly ever viewed. I only know of twice for sure. Once as evidence to thwart a potential lawsuit, and another to see if a cashier was stealing. She was.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

And this is why I'm happy to live my life behind glass...
              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

This is why I'm glad our local craft stores (with one exception) have gone to the serpentine-line-feeds-multiple-registers model.

Crafty people are in general sweet and reasonable people, but when they go bad it's an ugly, ugly thing.

Comment

Manager should have been written up for failing to ban line-jumping bitch and for writing a completely bogus complaint!

Comment

Well that sucks. Tell me you can appeal that write up. Xcashier is right there should have been an arrest--I have not doubt the non-SC's would have been happy to give a statement.
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

She complained? About WHAT exactly? She queue-jumped, she was in the wrong, you politely told her that she needed to get to the back of the queue. Your manager is also a dick.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
                        She complained? About WHAT exactly?
                        Spineless manager + customer who thinks she's "always right" = trouble for workers. Al lit took is OP doing their job -- that's not what the she-beast wanted, so of course, it's interpreted as rude/bad service
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                          Well that sucks. Tell me you can appeal that write up. Xcashier is right there should have been an arrest--I have not doubt the non-SC's would have been happy to give a statement.
                          This was years ago back when I worked more then a day a week (if that) at Random Craft Store. It wouldn't have mattered anyways, under that SM I fully expected a write-up every three months (write-ups in this company have a 90 day shelf life) even if it was over something stupid. It wasn't until AFTER he was fired (and I was there the day he got fired) did the write-ups stop.

Even if we wanted to have the person arrested we couldn't do it, Random Craft Store doesn't prosecute for ANYTHING.
                          Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
                            This was years ago back when I worked more then a day a week (if that) at Random Craft Store. It wouldn't have mattered anyways, under that SM I fully expected a write-up every three months (write-ups in this company have a 90 day shelf life) even if it was over something stupid. It wasn't until AFTER he was fired (and I was there the day he got fired) did the write-ups stop.

Even if we wanted to have the person arrested we couldn't do it, Random Craft Store doesn't prosecute for ANYTHING.
                            I smell some good stories here, please continue!

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
                              Ah, but it wasn't the *store* that was assaulted. It was *you*. So *you* could file assault charges against her.

Of course, the odds of the store not trying to punish you for it... :-(

Comment

Working...
                              X