Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entitlement mom and idiot co-worker...

I sometimes hate my job, especially management and some customers. This mother came in with her kids to pick up a birthday cake and balloons for her kid's birthday party, which was sometime today. I sent the bagger back with the helium balloon and a request from the mother for 5 smaller balloons to go with it. I get her order range up and we're waiting at least 10 minutes for the bagger to come back with the completed set. I call the head manager to find out how to ring up the smaller balloons, and he says there's a prompt on the computer for it. I can't find what he wants, so I use the one that fits best, my first mistake in order to allow her to pay. Five minutes later, the bagger come back with the helium and 3 balloons, not the 5 that she requested. She leaves and I assume that she's done.

No f***** luck. Apparently, the balloons have flown away due to the wind and she wants a free replacement. Idiot bagger doesn't tell me and disappears without asking management if it's alright to blow her up a new set for no extra charge. He's gone for another ten minutes, frustrating other baggers and cashiers during a rush, and comes back looking for her. She comes in asking for the manager because he had not found her. They meet up and he gives them to her. I assume that this interaction is end of story. Of course, I was wrong. She wasn't even grateful or appreciative to us for making another set free of charge - she acted as if was expected.

I get called into the cash office because according the the head manager, by following his instructions, I overcharged her. Idiot bagger does not get chewed out, even though he should have too IMO, because he didn't ask for approval to replace the set free of charge. Instead, I get chewed out for not calling HM or the produce head up to help me out. After he's done, I timidly bring up the fact that the bagger didn't do what the customer requested and didn't consult HM about the replacement, which he (HM) would have okay'd, but of course he says it's not my business and I have to learn to focus on my job better and not to second guess his judgment. He also said that if there were anymore incidents like this that I might lose my value to the store.

I told the bagger that I had been chewed out for what happened and that he had escaped punishment. He told me that it wasn't his fault, and he had nothing to be sorry about. He also spun the story that the job is not his first priority - his widowed mother is and that it (the job) doesn't matter that much to him. In another words, it is okay for him to f*** up on the job - he does not care that other people suffer punishment for his f***ups. Management still feels sorry for him that he lost his dad, but quite a few of my co-workers are getting fed up with him, hoping that he'll do something that gets him fired.

I'm actively looking for another job. I just don't know how much long I can work for a place that passes the blame for another employee's failure onto another.

It's not that management is pasing the blame you said yourself that the employee in fault does not beliee he is in fault. Next time he screws you up you make sure to say that you want him brought in as well to share the rest of the story as it was played out. Make him fall on his ass when he has to admit to screwing up and that the job really doesn't mean anything anyways.

Comment

That's one thing when management feels sorry for someone when they lose a family member but when said individual lets it affect their work performance & places blame on their mistakes on others then that's another thing completely.

Comment

Working...
      X