This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The price is wrong, Bob

This was awhile ago, but I saw the guy again today and it reminded me of my first run in with him.

I'm not clear if the man was buzzed drunk or he's just slightly off his rocker. His whole demeanor was just aggressive and in the beginning he wasn't giving us the pertinent information we needed to finish his sale.

Near end of night. I'm lucky enough to be in charge. An experienced, no nonsense lady is running customer service/10 items or less desk. I hear raised voices and see a stern cashier and a man flailing his arms about. I decide to go on over. First, I stand by my cashier and listen in...

Cashier: This is the correct total. Orange juice $X.XX, cupcakes $X.XX, Strawberries $X.XX and beer $X.XX. The total is $XX.XX.

SC: Garba garba garba(I'm paraphrasing here), no it's not right! The total should be $XY.XX

Goes back and forth. I say to cashier print out a sub total receipt for him to see. She does, he refuses to look at it. He's stepping back and forward, arms still akimbo, getting louder. I read it out loud as the cashier had done. I am not right either he claims.

Moi: What about it isn't correct?
    SC: The price!
    Me: Which price isn't right?
    SC: The PRICE! It isn't right!
    Me: Why isn't it right?
    SC: Because it's wrong!

Dear Buddha...

I try to get him to look at the receipt he starts calling the cashier a "Biddy". As I'm still attempting to make some sense of this, stern cashier says she is refusing him the sale of the beer as it looks like he's had enough. This apparently angers him enough to finally start making sense. "I'm not drunk! I saw the sign saying the strawberries are on sale!". Eureka! Strawberries! Finally a clue! I say "Let's go back and look".

Now as it happens my husband (DH) was there waiting for me to get off work and had been leaning against a nearby empty register. He decides to walk about 6 feet behind us and stand close by as we look at the strawberries. I can already see the problem.

Me: "I see the issue. Sir, it's brand X strawberries on sale, not brand Y."
    SC: "These strawberries were here!" more flailing of arms and stepping back and forth. I stay far enough away that I don't get knocked out.

Me: Some customer probably put them here. No big deal. Just grab a box of Brand X.
    SC: THESE strawberries were HERE. This is the price!
    Me: I understand these strawberries were here, but they shouldn't have been. We are not responsible for where customers place things. Just pick up a box of Brand X and I'll give them to you for the sale price.
    SC: You'll GIVE them to me?

Two steps back this time. He looks offended for some reason, as if I had actually told him how bad he smells. I definitely should have said sell them, not give them. I had made the mistake of thinking he would know what i mean.

Me: You know what I mean. Do you want the strawberries or not?
    SC: I want the strawberries I picked out!
    Me: You can have those, but not for the sale price since they aren't the ones on sale.
    DH: Why are you getting worked up over strawberries man? You know how much time you wasted? You could be home drinking your beer by now.
    SC: You talking to me?!
    DH: Yeah, I am.

SC suddenly calms down.

SC: "Your right man. It's just been a long night." Turns and heads back to service desk.

I picked up a box of Brand X Strawberries and brought them to the register. I told cashier it was okay to give him the beer. The rest was smooth sailing and SC puts on a good act of pretending to be a normal human being.

I really don't know if the guy was giving us a hard time because we were women, or because neither of us knew that mentioning beer was the key to getting him to calm down. This was long, sorry about that. However this wasn't as long as it actually took to play out in the store.
    "Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did."
    George Carlin

A little of side a and a little of side b but a whole lot of drunk.

Comment

"The price is WRONG, bitch!" /Adam Sandlerness
      ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Different brands of strawberries are sold at different prices?

Wow.

My place of employment gets different brands of them and sells them for the same price. Thank YOU, warehouse!!
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglĂłid

Comment

Actually, now it's "The price is wrong, Drew"

IMO, CBS should've just cancelled the show when Bob retired. Drew Carey doesn't do it for me.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Amethyst Hunter View Post
            "The price is WRONG, bitch!" /Adam Sandlerness
            Damn! That's the quote I meant! I need to brush up on my Adam Sandler movies.
            "Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did."
            George Carlin

Comment

I prefer it when he says "Bob" in the TV cut. Gratuitous swearing rarely does it for me. And I'm fairly certain that my grocery store sells different brands for different prices, but only because they're actually different. It's either bulk items, or things packaged differently with different qualities (size, number, etc.), so it's probably not the best example. I'm just gonna go away before I keep rambling.
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                I prefer it when he says "Bob" in the TV cut. Gratuitous swearing rarely does it for me. And I'm fairly certain that my grocery store sells different brands for different prices, but only because they're actually different. It's either bulk items, or things packaged differently with different qualities (size, number, etc.), so it's probably not the best example. I'm just gonna go away before I keep rambling.
                Our organic fruit is differently priced than our regular fruit. But sometimes one brand will be on sale when another brand isn't in regards to blueberries, strawberries, apples...and I think that's it. I haven't noticed grocery store across from ours ever do this. It can be very frustrating when our store does it. It just creates confusion.
                George Carlin

Comment

Quoth Whyme View Post
                  I really don't know if the guy was giving us a hard time because we were women, or because neither of us knew that mentioning beer was the key to getting him to calm down. This was long, sorry about that. However this wasn't as long as it actually took to play out in the store.
                  Probably because, as he said, he had had a long day. He was tired, and so any little aggrivation set him off. The beer thing sort of put it in perspective— hey, it's not much money, and isn't worth the time or effort to yell about. Honestly, probably about a third of the stories you see here are caused by people who are generally nice people, just they got caught at a bad time and reacted in foolish ways. Sometimes a bit of perspective helps them slow down and start acting less like idiots.

Comment

But I found these HERE. Don't you love when customers try to strong arm you into giving them the price they want, even when logic proves otherwise. The "another customer put it there" argument doesn't work, because SC still thinks the store should honor the price. Otherwise it's (dum dum dum) FALSE ADVERTISING. (end dramatics)
                    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                      Otherwise it's (dum dum dum) FALSE ADVERTISING. (end dramatics)
                      The dumbest "false advertising" claim I've ever experienced:

(laundry powder rings up at $2.50)
                      SC: That's supposed to be $1.
                      me: No, I'm pretty sure it's $2.50.
                      SC: But the sign says $1!

I knew she was wrong so I walked her over to the sign, which said "LAUNDRY POWDER 1kg $2.50"

SC: (points at the 1 on the sign) "See? $1."
                      me: (points at the kg) "See? 1 kilogram." (points at price) "$2.50". (ok I said it more diplomatically than that, but this version's funnier)
                      SC: "I don't want it then" (walks away)

Comment

No the price aint right, because if the price was right, youd be standing on the stage dummie!
                        http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
                        Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

Working...
                        X