Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SC unhappy about getting what he asked for.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for making me break rule number 1 again! That was too too funny!

Comment

how could he even think that you should check the part if he gave you the part number. what a dumbass
      "Let's connect to some ones cyberbrain who is meditating, so we can download enlightenment" one of the Tachikomas (Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig)

Comment

Quoth garth1 View Post
        See, this is what we would have if Microsoft built cars, and we get the "blue screen of death".
        Apple makes cars: All cars are the same cutesy model that run fast, and get 120 miles per gallon, but only work on 5% of the roads. All problems are indicated by a frowning dashboard light, and restrating will usually fix it anyway.

Linux cars: Buy whatever stock frame you like and install their engine in it. But you'll have to make your own emissions system, radio, speakers, tires, and drive train before it will work right. Or you can hope someone already has some worked up that will work for your driving conditions.

Unix cars: Work great, as all the bugs have been worked out in previous versions, but takes twenty minutes to start in the mornings and navigating roads takes twice as long. Only available in Model-T. Requires a rocket scientist to diagnose troubles.

The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

When I used to work on my car, I had a factory chassis/service manual for it. Original 1968 Olds Cutlass ... glorious car.

I knew parts, I knew numbers, and the folks that owned the wrecking yard were the parents of a kid who was in my old Boy Scout troop.
          "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth Jadedcarguy View Post
            Steering and brakes are different systems, and take different fluids in different places. I honestly hope this numbnuts has been pouring power steering fluid in his brake reservoir. That will be an expensive repair.
            Aren't brake fluid and brake fluid basically the same thing?

In the military, we didn't differeniate, hydraulic fluid was hydraulic fluid, whether it was going in the brakes, the steering, or the transmission. The government supply system only gave us one choice.

Of course the military also freely substituted jet fuel (JP-4) for diesel fuel. All of the diesel trucks on the helicopter base I was stationed on used jet fuel, as did the Sull-Air compressors we had.

Aparently the major difference is that jet fuel doesn't have any type of cleaning agent added to it, so it leaves a lot of carbon in the engine.
            Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

Steering and brakes are different systems, and take different fluids in different places. I honestly hope this numbnuts has been pouring power steering fluid in his brake reservoir. That will be an expensive repair.
              You know, a few years back, I remember Paul Harvey's radio show where he talked about people who had no idea what fluids went into what areas of the car. He advertised for some company on this, saying all you have to know is what color the fluid is. If you look in a certain compartment and see yellow fluid, then you buy yellow fluid. Or if it's green, you buy green. Or, if it's orange, etc. I myself am not an experienced mechanic, but do know enough about what fluids go where. I also cannot recall what color many of the fluids are, except antifreeze comes in at least three colors, green, orange, or pink, and oil is much of the time a dark brown color. On the other hand, I do not know what color brake fluid normally is, gold, I think, or yellow, don't know for sure. I have an SUV and just let the mechanics work on the more difficult systems like this.

I have actually heard of people that have poured antifreeze into their power steering tank, or poured oil into their brake system. Hell, I even knew a guy who tried pouring kerosene into his lawn mower, because he had heard any fuel that burns was good enough as a substitute for gasoline. (Thankfully, I convinced this friend to dump the kerosene out before he started the mower).

Comment

Quoth LifeCarnie View Post
                Aren't brake fluid and brake fluid basically the same thing?

In the military, we didn't differeniate, hydraulic fluid was hydraulic fluid, whether it was going in the brakes, the steering, or the transmission. The government supply system only gave us one choice.

Of course the military also freely substituted jet fuel (JP-4) for diesel fuel. All of the diesel trucks on the helicopter base I was stationed on used jet fuel, as did the Sull-Air compressors we had.

Aparently the major difference is that jet fuel doesn't have any type of cleaning agent added to it, so it leaves a lot of carbon in the engine.
                Yeah but in the military you also have high ranking numbnuts damanding to know why they havent put brake fluid in the 5 ton. A private had to finaly tell him its becuase they dont need them. They all had air brakes and the blue liquid he was saying was brake fluid was just windshield wipper fluid.

Comment

If PS fluid were in the brake system, it would actuate the brakes, as fluids do not compress. Water would work until it got hot. The problems arise in the "mixability" of the two fluids, as anyone who has mixed milk and alcohol know, it doesn't always work out right. Brake fluid also has a much higher boiling point than PS fluid, so he could run into brake fade as the fluid starts to aerate. The seals in the brake system could also be incompatible with PS fluid, and he could develop leaks. It's always best to use the right fluid.
                  Last edited by Jadedcarguy; 03-20-2008, 03:20 AM.
                  I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

I'm no grease monkey (meant that affectionately BTW), but I know where my fluids go! I also have a Haynes manual if I have any questions.
                    Know why it's called the American "Dream"? 'Cause you have to be asleep to believe it! --George Carlin

Comment

If PS fluid were in the brake system, it would actuate the brakes, as fluids do not compress. Water would work until it got hot. The problems arise in the "mixabilty" of the two fluids, as anyone who has mixed milk and alcohol know, it doesn't always work out right. Brake fluid also has a much higher boiling point than PS fluid, so he could run into brake fade as the fluid starts to aerate. The seals in the brake system could also be incompatible with PS fluid, and he could develop leaks. It's always best to use the right fluid.
                      I had to put PS fluid in the brakes once five miles from home - a hose popped and i manged to patch it up enough to roll home with hazard lights and carefully planned brake application (damn the guy in the lil sports car who cut me off and i nearly ) course first thing i did when i got home was purge the system and replace it along with all the master cylinders - which probably needed to be changed anyway

Comment

Quoth Alexandra View Post
                        I'm no grease monkey (meant that affectionately BTW), but I know where my fluids go!
                        Oooh... the things that can be done with a straight line like that....

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

My mind wasn't in the gutter though!
                          Know why it's called the American "Dream"? 'Cause you have to be asleep to believe it! --George Carlin

Comment

Quoth Alexandra View Post
                            My mind wasn't in the gutter though!
                            Neither was mine...

... the sewer is much more cozy.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
                              a person's inability to pay attention/think/act accordingly is not my problem, period; i'm not a babysitter and i won't hold your hand.
                              See, it's due to people like that, that I must defer to the wisdom of Rene Descartes:
                              It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well.

--Rene Descartes, Le Discours de la Methode, 1637
                              'Nuff said.
                              "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
                              --StanFlouride

Comment

I just had to replace my radiator(and now a thermostat). I didn't do any of it myself, I just paid for it and had my boyfriend and a friend of mine install it for me. I didn't argue, or try to butt in, I had them do it(and gritted my teeth when they accidently let all of the freon out). I know nothing of cars and I don't try to. I just leave the important stuff to people who do.
                                Check out my cosplay social group!
                                http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

Working...
                                X