Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer wanted a 105% discount. Sigh.

Well, it took nearly two weeks, but I finally got my first tried and true SC at Dillard's yesterday. The district manager was talking with me when this woman comes to checkout with two clearance tops. In this overbearingly cheerful manner, she explained how she was a wonderful customer who shopped at Dillard's reguarly. She said she found the shirts in the 75% clearance rack and all but demanded an additional 30% off, because

1) She was such a gosh darn fabulous customer
    2) There was a lipstick stain on one of the shirts (it was barely noticeable... I had to squint to see it, and you could get it off with a wet tissue no problem)

I can't believe I'm still babbling, because the point is she was demanding A 105% DISCOUNT!!!!!!! She made us call our manager (who she knew by name, like that would make a difference)! A manager, not the manager, came down, gallantly listened to this psycho, and calmly told her they simply couldn't do it. You all should have heard her. She was actually trying to rationalize her logic, saying how she'd end up with 20 dollars in her pocket. Best of all? She bragged about how she wasn't a pushover and how she wouldn't just "say, 'oh, okay'". Um, idiot? In this case, that's what any sane adult would say, because that's all you can say!!

In the end, we were victorious. But, seriously, there's looking for a bargain, and then there's just being greedy. Still, at least SC made a total ass of herself, and my co-workers and I had a great laugh at her expense once she'd left.
    "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Two weeks? That's GOTTA be a record!

Also, 75% off at Dillard's is a huge sale anyway. Cheapskate.
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Well, see, that's not necessarily a 105% discount.

Now, if she wanted a 30% off the original price on top of the 75% off, then, yes, it would be.

However, when post people want an additional discount, they want either a larger total discount on the original price (e.g. aksing for an 85% discount instead of 75%), or they ask for a discount on the new discounted price. A 30% discount on top of a 75% discount works out to a total discount of precisely 91%.

Yeah, she was a total entitlement whore, but she didn't really ask you to pay her to take the stuff.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Shit, I'm embarrassed. My ignorance actually surpasses my customer's. I'll go stand in the corner now.

Comment

It was just a negotiating ploy.

I love telling them the 75% discount was in error, thank you for bringing it to my attention, if you don't want the item I will adjust the price to the correct discount and return the item to the shelf.
          SC Motto "I am more important than you and others and don't you ever forget it"

Comment

We tell our customers that discounted merchandise is sold "as is". Not that it would have made a difference to this idiot.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Marxfan View Post
              Shit, I'm embarrassed. My ignorance actually surpasses my customer's. I'll go stand in the corner now.
              Oh, now, your customer was still being a twat.

Besides, I'm an utter math geek, and math is usually a weak suit for smarter individuals.

Take that as you will.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Besides, I'm an utter math geek, and math is usually a weak suit for smarter individuals.
                Aw, thanks, but there's no need to say that. Besides, all my knowledge is purely trivial. But I can take comfort in the fact that, no matter how little I know, or how senile I may or may not become one day, I'll still be smarter and cooler than my customer ever was. Same goes for everyone else! Treat yourselves to cookies!

Comment

Quoth Marxfan View Post
                  Aw, thanks, but there's no need to say that. Besides, all my knowledge is purely trivial. But I can take comfort in the fact that, no matter how little I know, or how senile I may or may not become one day, I'll still be smarter and cooler than my customer ever was. Same goes for everyone else! Treat yourselves to cookies!
                  Woohoo! Cookies!
                  Your true character is who you are when no one is looking.
                  --Unknown

Comment

Ok, do they not get the concept that if something is that drastically discounted, then you can probably expect small defects or for it to be out of season?
                    "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

Ok, do they not get the concept that if something is that drastically discounted, then you can probably expect small defects or for it to be out of season?
                      Apparently not. She just wanted more because she's a greedy entitlement whore.

Comment

I just love looking through the 'clearance' sections of stores. You never know what you'll find

In fact, I noticed something the other day at the hobby shop. Some time ago, I'd bought a 1930s Mercedes kit. Nobody seemed to want it, since the box was pretty beat up (nearly flattened), but the parts inside were fine. I asked the owner how much it was, and he was willing to let it go for only $5. Needless to say it came home with me

Imagine my surprise when I went in there on Friday...saw the same kit in similar condition...for well over $30! Gotta love those discounts!
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Getting a 75% discount at Dillards is a helluva deal! That was greedy and cheap of her to want more than that. Besides that point, sales are final with discounted items regardless if it's pristine,out of stock/season or stained.
                          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I found my prom dress at a store like that. It fit me very well and actaully didn't make me look too bad so I looked at the tag and nearly cried. WAY to expensive. BUT I held onto it and got nylons and the shoes to match the dress, even got a pair of earings (that I can't wear now...grrr). Went up front and waited till no one was around and asked for a favor. If the girl at the counter could ring everything up for me. She did and it came to about sixty more then I had. Nodding I thanked her and offered to put the items back.

Standing there the girl looked around and flagged down this older gentleman and said that she was really sorry but she ripped my dress and was wondering if for such an inconvience if I could get a discount for her her mistake. I was ready to stop her cause there was no rip and the guy said okay and flipped the key. I then had two dollars in change. Girl winked and said that everyone should look nice at Prom.

Hehe...I have a feeling the manager knew what the clerk was doing the whole time.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                              IGirl winked and said that everyone should look nice at Prom.
                              Aww, that was a really sweet gesture. Makes me all mushy inside.
                              -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
                              -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

Working...
                              X