This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't uncut your ribbon...

Yesterday, had a lady ask me how to determine if her ribbon was by the yard or by the spool...
    I flip her ribbons over, and say, "See this label here? The one that says 'By the Yard price'? That means it's by the yard. By the spool will only have a bar-code."
    She says she wants X yards of these two spools. Okay, I cut her those X yards, and then she asks me the price of this other spool, with one spool left all by itself.
    I scan, "$3.99, before tax."
    "I don't want it then..."
    "Okay." I take the spool off, toss it in my return bin, scan the other spool, place in bag with her cut ribbon lengths.
    "Oh, I just thought of another spool of ribbon I need... can you cancel the order while I go look?"
    *blink, blink* "Not short of voiding the whole thing, which will require a manager... but you HAVE to pay for this ribbon, since I cut it."
    Discussion in circles while I get a manager to my register, about her wandering off to go looking, and my insistence that she MUST pay for the cut ribbon before she can leave my register.
    SM comes to my register, flips his key, and just stands there while customer decides what she's going to do. Eventually, she decides to pay for her purchase, and go looking for more.
    "$6.39..."
    She pays, and then looks at me kinda odd. "Did you add that other roll on?"
    "The one that was sitting right there? Yes... you didn't say anything about not wanting it."
    "Well, take it off..."
    "Can't, I'm already to the end of the transaction. I'll have to do a return to give you back the cost."
    *expletive deleted*, she goes off to look some more, and luckily does NOT come back through my line.
    "I call murder on that!"

I really, really wish people wouldn't come to the register until they are finished shopping.

Frustrates me to no end when they pull crap like that. Look, you either want that, or you don't. It's not hard. Well, it shouldn't be hard, anyway . . .
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Ugh. Finish your shopping BEFORE you go to the register!

Oh and when I worked at the craft store, I had one SC who wanted a bunch of ribbon at odd lengths like (and pulling numbers out of my butt here because I don't recall the speciffic lengths anymore) 3/16 of a yard....5/8 and so on.

Just buy the whole *^%@#! yard.

Comment

Why is it so hard for people to decide what they want before they get to the register?

I have the same problem at the bank. Customers will come up to my window with no idea what they want and then change their mind three times while I'm trying to do the transaction. It's just plain annoying.
        "Any free samples?"
        "Sorry, not today."

Come on people, we're a bank not a bakery.

Comment

Quoth retaildrone View Post
          Oh and when I worked at the craft store, I had one SC who wanted a bunch of ribbon at odd lengths
          Yeah, our store fixed that. We don't/can't do anything but yards. Huzzah!
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
            You a Michael's slave as well? I've had my problems with ribbon too, jolly good fun isn't it?
            wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?
            ----
            Yes, that’s right. It’s a pair of gold foil headphones. Gold foil. Finally, headphones just as awful as your taste in music.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
              Before our store was re-ranged and renovated a fair bit of our sales was Speaker/Coaxial cable by the metre.. I was so thankful when I first joined the store and did my first transaction that I couldn't put odd fractions of cable, just metres. It annoyed quite a few people though, and of course these sorts of transactions never equalled more then paying $1.50 for the extra length you needed..

Only stuck times where were people didn't ask us and cut their own cable and came up with an odd amount. Now that was rather frustrating, as we just had to round down or up (and STILL get nagged at that it should have a sign saying MORE then just "Per Metre".
              - Boochan

Comment

Quoth retaildrone View Post
                Oh and when I worked at the craft store, I had one SC who wanted a bunch of ribbon at odd lengths like (and pulling numbers out of my butt here because I don't recall the speciffic lengths anymore) 3/16 of a yard....5/8 and so on.
                I was at WM the other day, and a SC was in the fabric department trying to return used tulle. Not only was it all crumpled up and wrinkled, It had been cut into shorter pieces. From what I overheard, she wanted a credit for more yardage than she brought in.

Comment

Are you allowed to wait until AFTER the customer has paid to cut the ribbon? That way you're sure that you don't needlessly cut anything due to customers that can't make up their minds or suddenly remember they need something?

Comment

That won't work for silly people like me who impulsively decide, as you're measuring, to get an extra yard or so, just in case. If I've bought it already, I will get exactly the yardage.

Of course, I've only done that at places that you shop, cut, maybe shop some more, cut, and then go check out; not at cut & check out places.
                    I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Quoth TryNotToBeThatOne View Post
                      That won't work for silly people like me who impulsively decide, as you're measuring, to get an extra yard or so, just in case. If I've bought it already, I will get exactly the yardage.
                      Then you measure the yardage out and then wait until post sale to actually make the cut.

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
                        Then you measure the yardage out and then wait until post sale to actually make the cut.
                        When someone brings up five spools of ribbon to be cut... And I have only the one yardstick... Short of marking the ribbon where it needs cutting... *shrug*

Quoth trunks2k View Post
                        Are you allowed to wait until AFTER the customer has paid to cut the ribbon? That way you're sure that you don't needlessly cut anything due to customers that can't make up their minds or suddenly remember they need something?
                        It's faster to cut the ribbon first, and scan second. Particularly with how suddenly our lines get backed up...
                        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth LadyBarbossa View Post
                          I really, really wish people wouldn't come to the register until they are finished shopping.

Frustrates me to no end when they pull crap like that. Look, you either want that, or you don't. It's not hard. Well, it shouldn't be hard, anyway . . .
                          I can't stand it when customers do that! Yesterday, at the college bookstore I had this jerkoff in front of me (I was shopping, I don't work there) who was waiting in the mile long line like the rest of us. Then he leaves. Then he comes back with something else and wants his spot back. Then he does it AGAIN. You know, I would be cool with it if he said something like "Oh, I forgot something! Do you care if I get back in line" whatever. But let's not get in line and then do our shopping. The rest of us have to shop and then wait in line.

When I worked at Sears I had a lady come up to the register that wanted to do a return. While processing the return the lady leave the resigter and begins looking through the racks. She didn't say anything, I think I asked her if she could come back to the register and she didn't say anthing. So I canceled the return (easy to do in those days) and started ringing up the next customer in line. Then I hear this god-awful noise from across the department:

Devil: "HEEEEEEYYYYYY!!!! You were helping me!!!!!!!!"
                          Me: "Well, you walked away and didn't say anything and didn't answer me. I didn't know if you were looking for something to exchange this for or what."
                          Devil: "Just finish it!!!!!"
                          Me: "Fine."

The lady that was next in line was at least cool about it. She said something about the lady being a b-tch or something, and we at least had a good laugh while Satan was shopping.
                          "What size can I get you, ma'am?"
                          "Red."
                          "Okay...I'll check the red for you, but what size do you need?"
                          "RED!"
                          "..."

Comment

I think I only got that a couple of times at the fabric store, somebody deciding not buy a piece that they got cut. It's unlikely that somebody else will need the exact same amount of fabric, you just expect the store to just eat the cost? I think not! Same with returns on cut fabric. I am amazed that some places will take cut fabric back, and that makes customers think that every place will do so. Irritating.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                              Thank God for small miracles! I am seriously math stoopid, and this bitch was just evil. She even revealed herself as a math teacher! I asked her what school, then said I was taking a mental note so I would not be sending my kids there.

Gotta love a manager who says "You have to be polite till they show their ass."

Comment

Working...
                              X