Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully someone more intelligent happened across him and at least gave him some more leash. I can understand not wanting to let him roam around; he could get hit by a car or get his leash caught on something and get hurt. But geez, call someone as soon as you find him, or look for a tag and see if there's a number or address and find his owners! Between this and my mom telling me about Oprah's puppy mill show I get very

Quoth Whyme View Post

It's also the same reason I can't work in daycares anymore. Over a decade in childcare, plus a few more nannying and I never had a serious problem with a child. The parents on the other hand were driving me bonkers. I had to get out before I found myself bitchslapping sense into some of the idiot parents. I swear it got worse as the years went by.
    This is why my dad won't umpire for Little League. He only does adult leagues cuz he doesn't want to deal with the parents. He'd rather deal with the players themselves.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

For those of you wondering what became of the dog: He was stuck there till 8am when a welfare officer was able to go pick him up. I wasn't able to get anyone sooner and got no further reports so no one else noticed him.

Dumbasses. ><

Comment

Can you catch the idiots who did it, box them up, and ship them to Nunavut?

Comment

i was thinking more along the lines of floating them off in a remote part of the ocean near antarctica...where they only have each other.

won't take long before fate sets in...

idiots + 'bright' idea = instant fail
          look! it's ghengis khan!
          Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth StevieJD View Post
            Gotta play devil's advocate on this one.

Tying the dog to a permanent object (lamp pole etc) in regular sized towns is actually acceptable. Most of the time the owner is running up the street looking for the dog and it would be better to fix the dog to a specific location than taking the dog further from the owner and possibly out of site of the owner.
            I don't think it was so much that they tied the dog to the pole, though. In fact, I don't even have an issue with that. It was the fact that they left such a short leash, and that they just left the poor thing there and didn't even note the exact location, then reported it.

Also, some dogs will stray quite far away from their owners, so there was no guarantee the owner would be along soon.

They should have either stayed with the dog and looked at its collar to find the owner, or they should have taken it to animal control, themselves.
            Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

That poor baby. I'm sure s/he has been traumatized and the owner as well.

Heck, not being able to find my cat for 45 min one night shook me up so bad I haven't forgotten. And she was in my apartment.

People can be such assholes. Makes me sick.

I hope doggie and owner had a nice reunion.

Comment

Quoth Reyneth View Post
                Heck, not being able to find my cat for 45 min one night shook me up so bad I haven't forgotten. And she was in my apartment.

One time I let my rats run around my apartment. I put them up after about half an hour but I couldn't find my baby. I spent *two hours* looking for her and couldn't find her. I conjured up all kinds of stories of her running outside and getting eaten/trampled/etc, or being stuck behind the stove or fridge and starving to death, etc etc. I had to go to work after two hours, then rushed home on my lunch break and found her snuggled up in a hole she had chewed into my comforter.

And god those people are jerks. How long did they wait on reporting it?

Comment

Dear RCMP:
                  While I understand that you are not in the business of picking up lost pets, wisely leaving that to the professionals at Animal Control, I do believe you guys arrest people for animal cruelty, yes?
                  Did the caller happen to give their name?

I think that they, above everyone else, would undserstand if you were to pick them up and confine them in a small space for a while "while you checked things out". You wouldn't want them "wandering around" while you investigate to see if they've actually broken any laws. It should all be sorted out by Monday morning.

Things to consider while investigation possible animal cruelty: how cold was it last night? By trying the dog up in an open space, they prevented it from seeking shelter. Was it windy? Wind chill. Did they provide food? Exactly how long was the dog there before they called? Long enough to count as negligence?
                  I'm reasonably sure that, under the laws in my area, by picking up the dog (or catching its leash, or whatever), they became responsible for the dog's welfare. Certainly by tying it up they did. So if there's anything wrong with that dog (case of the sniffles), that's their fault.
                  Last edited by SpyOne; 04-06-2008, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Someone should tie them to a pole & just leave them there. F*cking jerks!
                    "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
                    ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Well, calling it animal cruelty is a it of an overreaction, in my opinion.

It was more a case of people just not really using the head that the good lord gave them.

The dog did not belong to them. They saw it to be a runaway, so they used its leash to tie it up, thinking they were ensuring its safety. They even called someone to get help for it. They just weren't on the ball enough to remember exactly where they left the dog. They did have a general idea, though.

As I said, some people do not view animals with the love and affection that others do. I have found that many people who grew up on farms have an attitude that animals serve a purpose and for them, the idea that another person would view the animal like their own child, is a foreign concept.

I think this was just an example of someone really thinking they were doing the right thing but failing miserably at it.
                      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Devils advocate here...

First, a little background. I am a dog lover. I have a 90lb lab who sleeps with me, rides in my truck with me, even crawls up into my lap sometimes while watching TV.

Tying a dog to a lamp post IS NOT CRUELTY. 3 feet of slack is plenty of room for the dog to lie down or stand up but not get out into the road.

It the middle of the night, you've had a couple drinks, you find a stray. You tie him where he can be seen and call the authorities.

Might I add that 3 feet of room around a post is a lot more room than the dog would have had than at the shelter. Last time I was at the pound they did not have 6 ft wide cages.

Could things have been handled better? Probably, but the attitude that these horrible people should be castigated is the same knee jerk reaction we get from SCs.

I grew up on a farm. We raised happy sheep and cows. Named them, loved them, scratched their backs. But we knew why they were around.

Next time you eat a hamburger, ask yourself if you'ld rather be the abused dog or the cow.
                        Eben56
                        If ultimately you let the people that fuck you over decide your attitude then they won.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                          Yes, at least it could have wandered home if so inclined. Now it's stuck there till 8am as that's the earliest I can get an animal welfare officer there. So it'll have been there for at least 8 or more hours by the time I can get someone to him thanks to these two twits.
                          Let's hope that someone who is more humane than those two will come along and help the pooch. I would.
                          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

I have to lean towards the Devil's Advocate side. This was the by-product of raging possibly genetic or alcohol inflicted stupidity/horribly bad judgment, not intentional cruelty. While I would certainly like to smack the two them upside the head ( For 5 or 10 minutes. With a rolled up newspaper yelling "BAD MONKEY, BAD" ) I don't want to inflict grievous and protracted bodily harm.

The dog was out there for about 7 or 8 hours total in the end.

Comment

I don't suppose they happened to leave some water for the dog to drink overnight?
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I have to say, I was never bothered by the idea of tying dogs to parking meters, trees, etc., particularly while the owner runs into a store, until this February. I was in Chicago with my fiance and we were walking around a little area in the suburbs that had a street of shops and businesses. Outside one of the shops was a beautiful border collie tied to a parking meter. Ordinarily no problem, but I was really upset for three reasons:

1. It was easily 10 degrees outside and had been snowing/sleeting for a week. The sidewalks had a path cleared, but all the ice and snow near the meters was still there.

2. The dog had a VERY short leash, and was tied in such a way that he only had about a foot and a half of leash to move on.

3. The short leash meant the dog was tied in such a way that it COULD NOT avoid standing on the ice, and was whimpering when we walked by.

We were able to move the leash enough that the dog had enough room to move to a clear area, but I was upset as I did not know how long the poor thing had had to stand on the ice and it was clearly in pain from its paws being so cold. If we hadn't had a train to catch, I would've started going into the nearby stores and looking for the owner. I'm sure the owner just didn't think, and the people in Gravekeeper's situation sound like they also had a lapse in common sense. However, it doesn't excuse the fact that the poor dog, like the dog in Chicago, had to suffer for people's stupidity.

Comment

Working...
                                X