X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullet Points.

Weekends.
    In fast food hell, there are no weekends. There are only short, chaotic bouts of madness presented to you by screaming, wailing, neurotic customers constantly marching past your counter, or rolling past the drive through window. See enough of them, and you will succumb to the madness yourself.

At least, this was the reason i gave myself for the knife fight in our lobby that had occurred the weekend before, involving one of our employees and an obvious ghetto inhabitant. To be fair, if someone had called my mother that, I probably would have gotten as well. But hey, at least he didn't pull a gun, and the police responded quickly enough. Plus, the employee was fired, so chances of it happening again were slim.

Still, in an effort to ensure that everyone continued to play nice (customers and employees alike), our managers and owners did what every other business does in Louisiana when they want to keep the peace:
    They payed an off duty cop to sit in the store, in full uniform.
    Yes, gun and all.

Now, this was his first night in, and it was not an officer I had seen before. I was fairly certain that I would have remembered someone who made me, a 6 foot 1 inch tall guy actually lean my head back a little to look up at. I was certain that no one would mess with him as he sat at the counter/bar area.

Of course, i was wrong.

Most teens had the brains to walk in the door, see the officer, order, and then all but run like hell out of the store. The few that DID stay, were very quiet.
    Except one group.

They came inside to order their food. While they worked on scrounging enough money together to actually PAY for their food, they took turns hitting on the girl working at the front counter. When that failed, they began demanding everyone hurry up and make their food. The entire time they were waiting on their food, I could hear them laughing and saw them trying to be sly and point at the officer, who just sat back and said nothing.

Finally, they go off and sit in one of the back corners, only to get louder and more obnoxious as time goes on.

As things slowed down, i went to walk up to the officer and actually talk to him, when I noticed he was turned towards the obnoxious group.
    He had his finger up, as if he appeared to be counting.

Before i could ask, I heard one of the teens/twenty somthing's shout:
    "Yo, dawg, whatchya doin???"

Police officer ignores them.

Obnoxious's Leader:
    "Why you be point'n at us???"

Police officer:
    "I'm not pointing, I'm counting."

Obnoxious guy from back of group:
    "Whats'da matter, you 'fraid you outnumbered?"

Police officer:
    "Nope."

At which point, our friend the police officer pulls the hand he had near his belt, and sets it on the counter. As he opens it, he lays a bullet on the counter, standing straight up.
    He does it again for each member of the group.
    As he does so, I see each members face:

After pulling their jaws off the floor, and deciding that lead beats stupidity, they quickly decided to leave.
    Now, it could have been my imagination, or the fact that I left the fast food business a few months after that, but I could swear that we never had many problems with teenagers again after that.
    "Chaos in the midst of chaos isn't funny, but chaos in the midst of order is." - Steve Martin

haha perfect! brilliant strategy there, I have to say. The cops counter to the "outnumbered" comment was absolutely epic.

Gratz on getting out of fast food (and, I hope, Louisiana) while I'm here
    Your true character is who you are when no one is looking.
    --Unknown

Comment

Are police officers allowed to do that. I mean moonlight in their uniform?

That just doesn't seem right.

Comment

Uh, um...wow. I mean he didn't even say anything to them (except to inform them he was counting) and the point was well "stated". Bravo for theatrics!

Quoth ebonyknight View Post

Yes. They are. It happens in a lot of places. They get paid to act as security.
        Last edited by Broomjockey; 04-09-2008, 05:11 AM. Reason: merged
        "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Yeah, I remember that at one of the gas stations I worked third shift, we had an officer in the back. Unfortunately, everyone else knew that, too, so it wasn't very effective.
          You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Yup, they're called Details. The guys in my department live off the second income they provide. I'm not sure how the rest of the country does them. I'm in Massachusetts.

Comment

I think it's probably pretty common. We have several uniformed officers that rotate shifts at the security desk here where I work.

Comment

yeah, in south salt lake at least some companies not only pay the officer but will pay the city to allow them to have a cruiser parked in front of the store...
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

ha ha, nice pun.

Comment

That's a GREAT story!

I'll have to share my own cop story soon.

Comment

Oh man, I love that cop!

Sure, it's a common thing. I work at a hotel near the highway so our officers are generally there in the morning when everyone checks out. I don't know if the company pays them for this service but they sure do get free breakfast every day. They even sometimes hold their morning meetings in our breakfast room. I love when they do that because I'm a sucker for a uniform.

*cleans up the drool on the desk and slinks away*
                      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Oh man, what an awesome story! I wish I'd been able to talk our neighborhood cops into doing something like that. We did have "armed security" who were never around when we needed them, and almost never bothered to respond to calls. Pretty useless. Sometimes an officer would come in for coffee or something, and I always noticed at least one person enter the parking lot, spot the cop car, then turn around and head back the way they came.

Comment

This is epic. I love it. XD

Comment

As wonderful an image as it is, I have to question the wisdom of it. First off, if a camera caught that, that is an overt threat and there'd be proof of it. Second off, how's he know that these punks don't decide to wait for him after for "disrespecting them" like that, if they happened to be in a gang? Just seems like a bad idea.
                            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
                            X