Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I spent 45 minutes curing at my computer last night..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I spent 45 minutes curing at my computer last night..

Yep. 45 minutes, I couldn't get my WiFi receiver to pick up the WiFi - it seemed to keep picking up the gateway IP address.

Yes, 45 minutes of frustration, resetting my receiver, rebooting my router, rebooting my computer, etc..

... all because I was using a capital letter as opposed to a lower case letter with the WiFi password.

(edit - maybe this should be in Oops?)
    Last edited by draggar; 05-26-2015, 02:03 PM.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Well, you're cure-sed now
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Heal.... heal this router now O Lord... Cure it from its sins and sicknesses
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Now I am cursing at my keyboard..
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
          Now I am cursing at my keyboard..
          I thought the cursor was supposed to be on the screen, not in the chair.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            I thought the cursor was supposed to be on the screen, not in the chair.
            As someone who programs the things, I can testify that very often, it's both.
            "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

This reminds me of the time I spent six hours trying to get my kernel to compile and install, without realizing my boot partition was full.

Comment

I don't care how much curing the computer gets, it still won't be bacon.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                  Heal.... heal this router now O Lord... Cure it from its sins and sicknesses
                  Don't forget to smack the modem with your open palm like you see in those faith healing services.

And if that doesn't work, hammer time!
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Hey, threatening machinery with physical harm can work.

Back in the early 90s, I was working at a 7-11, and we did video rentals. We had this pen-style barcode reader that was unbelievably temperamental. I took to telling it about my access to axes and chainsaws and guns (true, I did have ready access to all of these), plus my uncle the retired Marine who lived not very far away and knew about explosives (mostly true, only iffy thing is I'm not sure about his explosives knowledge).

It got to the point that that machine immediately started behaving itself when it heard my voice, even if it was my day off and I had just come in for a movie or some other minor item.
                    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                      It got to the point that that machine immediately started behaving itself when it heard my voice, even if it was my day off and I had just come in for a movie or some other minor item.
                      The machines are trying to start the uprising, but they're so bad at it they have to resort to half-assed passive aggressive measures and general moping.
                      Patient has severely impacted cranial rectosis. There's probably no cure. - Overheard in ER

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                        Hey, threatening machinery with physical harm can work.

Back in the early 90s, I was working at a 7-11, and we did video rentals. We had this pen-style barcode reader that was unbelievably temperamental. I took to telling it about my access to axes and chainsaws and guns (true, I did have ready access to all of these), plus my uncle the retired Marine who lived not very far away and knew about explosives (mostly true, only iffy thing is I'm not sure about his explosives knowledge).

And I thought I was the only one who talked to machinery . . . can't tell you how many times I've threatened all of the handheld units that I was going to toss them out through the dock and let the next truck that came in run over them.

All I have to do now is say "truck dock" and they straighten right out.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                          And I thought I was the only one who talked to machinery . . . can't tell you how many times I've threatened all of the handheld units that I was going to toss them out through the dock and let the next truck that came in run over them.

All I have to do now is say "truck dock" and they straighten right out.
                          Told you verbal intimidation of machinery can work.
                          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

ugh, amateur. Cure is for living things, you need to cast Technopurge.
                            Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                            Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Working...
                            X