This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready for this?

*waves* Ok really odd little situation going on here.

First off:
    Gateway GT5628
    Intel Core 2 Quad Processor
    500 GB SATA II Hard drive
    3GB DDR2 Memory
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT vid
    About a year old or so...well for us
    And windows Vista. *ARGH*

So we have a power something or other this am. The entire area went "BLINK" and cursing ensued. Luckily I only lost a few things I'd been typing.

Since then, my computer has rebooted it's self 3 times. Excuse me, it goes WHIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrr really loudly (which has now become the sign of Oh shit save again now) and then reboots. No BSOD, no Safe boot, just a reboot.

I have looked around to make sure things aren't overheating or anything, but I could be missing something here. Any advice would be wonderful.

It's either that or it's being blamed on ghosts.
    Today was going to be just one of those days...you know, full of zombies.

Your CPU fan is inadequate to the needs of the CPU. Either it took a hit, or it always has been, and the problem is just now surfacing.

That "Whirrrr" noise sounds like the fan is going into overdrive (could be a cd-rom or hard drive, but the most likely source is a fan, and that is most likely the CPU fan) because the CPU is getting too hot.

Now, for the fun bit: If the CPU is getting too hot, then that means it's doing a lot of work. Since this started after a power failure, the most likely cause is some amount of disk corruption. From what you've said, it's very likely that the hard drive is fine, just some of the data on it has been toasted.

Steps I would take to solve this (some of them are for reasons that are rather technical, so I'll not explain them all unless you really want the gory details):
    • Disable swap memory/virtual memory/paging file. Go into the computer's help system, and search for "turn off paging file". Reboot, and then...
    • Run a scan disk, telling it to find/fix errors. And then...
    • Run a defrag. And then...
    • Turn on the paging file

Those steps, in that order, might be able to bring your computer back to normal. Outside of that, you will need to do a reformat.

On top of all that, though, I'd recommend getting that CPU fan replaced. It sounds like it's time.

Comment

blargh and crud monkeys. Printed and am going to play.

I'm assuming I can price out fans with out too much in the way of an ID10T error?

ACK And I forgot to say thank you!!
      Last edited by Lil Bunny; 11-25-2008, 07:16 PM. Reason: Forgot my manners

Comment

You can price them out, but a good rule of thumb is this: If you haven't done it before, it's best to either have someone do it for you, or to have someone who has done it before watch over your shoulder.

Replacement is probably not difficult, but some cases and motherboards make it very tricky. And, depending on the design of things, it's possible to break either a holder or crack the motherboard or CPU. It's not easy, but it is possible, and without seeing the computer myself, I can't say for sure how tricky your system would be. Of course, once you've seen a couple of them, you know the pitfalls, and have little to no issue doing it. Before then, though...

So, to reiterate: Either get someone to do it, or have someone help you in person with that. You're going to be much happier for it.

And you're quite welcome. I do enjoy getting to help out

Comment

I do have some experiance with rebuilding computers. Read: Enough to make me dangerous. LOL they've all run but given this is my work comp, I think you're right.

Luckily we have a great place here in town that doesn't talk down/needlessly upsell to people not as blessed as them (No offense to other Geek Squad people out there but man I finished with them feeling like someone owed me dinner and a trip back to the 50's with the way I was treated).

Heh, send me the invoice man, you could probably get a few bucks out of my boss.

Comment

Working...
          X