Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took it to BestBuy because I just moved and don't know any local places here.

It is not a power issue. The tech said that it is likely the motherboard.

I could send it in to have a definitive answer, but I think that I will probably just buy a new laptop.

I am using my old desktop right now, and bought a wireless adaptor as a quick fix, but as you can imagine, it is slowwww and a pain in the butt, so I am hoping for some good deals on laptops in the next few weeks.

I really wish I knew more about computers!

Comment

oh... well, if it's the motherboard... you're kinda boned. You can't buy those individually. They're supposedly integrated into the computer itself.

Which is why I still have RW's broken laptop. It needs a new motherboard and The SO says it would be cheaper to get a new laptop then to replace the board.

I would love to know where you CAN get a laptop motherboard if they do exist separately.
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
        I would love to know where you CAN get a laptop motherboard if they do exist separately.
        Those are probably a manufacturer only type of thing. I know that the service tech's we had coming here to fix dead laptops would bring in motherboards for them, when they were under warranty, so they can be had from some source. Probably very expensive to get though.

Eric the Grey
        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Considering the laptop I need to fix is a Sagar, I'd have to agree with the very expensive assessment.

*le sigh*
          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
            oh... well, if it's the motherboard... you're kinda boned. You can't buy those individually. They're supposedly integrated into the computer itself.

Which is why I still have RW's broken laptop. It needs a new motherboard and The SO says it would be cheaper to get a new laptop then to replace the board.

I used to get my non-warranty parts from a company called Blue Sky, or something like that. They went under about 6 years ago. Since then, I've been ordering parts off of eBay. You'll find some companies selling the individual parts or you may lucky enough to find someone who destroyed their LCD screen and are trying to get something for the rest of it. Just gotta make sure you don't pay too much for it if you eat the cost.

CH
            Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

Hi, a computer reseller / geek here. We've had multiple issues with HP Pavilion DV6*** and DV9*** series here. It's the VGA part of the motherboard dying and at least here it's covered by HP so that if you call them they'll take it in and replace the mb for free / in warranty. Of course this might be different in the US... But that's what we've had here lately. Like a couple months or so.
              A man can be stupid and not know it, but not if he is married.

Comment

Working...
              X