This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE Problems

I am having problems with Internet Explorer.
    For some reason a lot of stuff will default to open with IE, and my problem is that having use AOL I think has fubared IE.

Computer is Dell Dimension 2400 running Windows XP Home Service pack 3 Celeron(R) CPU 2.40 GHz 640 MB Ram.

I have downloaded IE 7 to disk and tried to install but still when trying to open IE will say connecting and eventually use 99% of system resources and I endup doing a forced shutdown and restart.

Wondering how to fix this, Thought maybe uninstall IE and reinstall from disk.

any ideas suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
    Meeeeoooow.....
    Still missing you, Plaid

i perfer mozilla firefox because its stable and its better than IE but if you have any questions, in here online to help you......consider i loce computers

Comment

download IE from Windows update after uninstalling IE from you computer

Click on start

Control Panel

Add/ Remove

Find IE

Uninstall

then go to IE

go to tools

then windows update

Comment

It sounds like there's either a corruption in a file, or there's a missing system file when booting up, so it can't find all it's components to run.

My suggestion would be disabling IE from the the Windows Add/Remove Windows Components then reinstalling from your XP Install/Hard Restore discs. If that doesn't work, let me know, there could be something worse going on.

ETA - IE won't show up in your normal Add/Remove Programs list, iirc. You have to find it through Windows Components.

Also, if you can get it off Windows Update, great.

ETA Again - Have you checked your system for malware?
        Last edited by Fenrus; 12-08-2008, 07:30 AM.
        Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

thats true...................do you have any anti-spyware programs that can remove adware..........

Comment

Yes that was exactly what I was thinking uninstall reinstall . as for anti-virus I got AVG Free, Avira, Comodo, Crap Cleaner and Spybot ( I know I know Spybot isn't actually anti- virus but it makes my comp happier).

Will wait until it's a time when I'm really awake and functional to attempt the fix.

Thanks very much
            Meeeeoooow.....
            Still missing you, Plaid

Comment

Please pick one AV and one firewall, either in a bundle or separate, but keep it at one each. AVs and firewalls don't play well together and your system takes a hit because of it.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

OK I admit I'm being too paranoid. Cutting back to reasonable now.

I just got carried away after having my two cousins sharing the computer and getting popups for things I didn't even want to know existed.

No not the strange pervy stuff, but all the beanie baby webkinz stuffy colectable crap OMG how and why would anybody get into that crap.
                Meeeeoooow.....
                Still missing you, Plaid

Comment

I have Kaspersky on one computer, still have Norton on the other. Kaspersky is much better at stopping all kinds of crap than Norton. With Norton, I end up installing and running Spybot about once a month, then I uninstall it, but keep the files for the next time. I do the same with Lavasoft's AdAware Free.

I don't have Kaspersky on the laptop because my husband gets whiny when he actually has to respond to Kaspersky's prompts about downloads, which is how we ended up with a trojan and adware on the laptop sometime during the weekend.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth ParkingWitch View Post
                    OK I admit I'm being too paranoid. Cutting back to reasonable now.
                    Yes. The rule of thumb is:

1 antivirus because they don't like each other. (most actually detect other AVs as potential viruses.)

1 hardware firewall (standalone or router) and one software firewall as anything more won't stop anything more and slows down the throughput.

1 Spyware scanner set to autoscan and one that you manually scan. Same reason as the firewall.

As well, if you have any combo sets (like Norton Internet Security, which has AV and Firewall as well as other stuff) decide what you want out of it and only install those. Just because you set it to passive or disabled does not mean it's not doing anything. And at that stage, all it's doing is eating up resources.
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                    X