This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gateway Update

So, here's the update to http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=38799

Following Cutenoob's helpful instructions, I grabbed pencil, paper and phillips, then started the trouble shooting. I had checked online, but Gateway's list of beep codes did not include the one that was occurring. Onward!

To my happiness, the side panel of the case was removed after unscrewing two hand screws, and the panel then lifted out and off. Yea! Then began the disconnecting, the sketching, more disconnecting, more sketching. The beep kept occurring. I pushed on the cards and such to make sure everything was properly seated. I even disconnected the hard drive. Same frikkin' beep. $#^%*&)*(&*$%$^P(

My older son was helping, which helped calm me down. Otherwise, that computer would be shattered remnants in the parking spaces and I'd be trying to explain to the landlord why my window was gone. I put the panel back on and contemplated my -- probably -- expensive options. My son, however, had not given up. As a last shot, he plugged in the power cord again, and HUZZAH!!! no more beep! I reconnected all the peripherals and waited. It booted smoothly. All the programs were still loaded. I updated everything and it worked smoothly.

It still worked smoothly on Sunday. I downloaded the software and connected the printer. It still worked. Did my homework and uploaded it. It still worked.

I do not know what happened. My guess is that either disconnecting the hard drive caused a reset somewhere, or I jiggled something back into place. I just don't know, but we're happy.

However, in apparent retribution, the modem is now dying and the laptop got a trojan and some adware. It never ends.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect
Working...
X