Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013 Christmas Card Exchange! Sign up today!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Christmas Card Exchange! Sign up today!

Hello and Merry Whatever-You-Celebrate! Yes, I'm doing this again. Yes, it's a little later than normal, but it's earlier than last year, so that's something, right? Anyway, you all know what I'm getting at, so let's get on with it!

Every year, a number of us exchange Christmas Cards with fellow CS members across the globe. We collect sign ups from people each year, compile a list, send it out towards the end of October, and then we flood the hell out of each other's mailboxes with Christmas cheer.

So last year we had about three weeks for sign ups. This year I'm giving you five whole weeks (plus a couple days). You have until October 26th to sign up, and then you'll be able to see how many people are planning to participate, and if you decide you can't handle that many, you’ll have until November 2nd to opt out. The list will then automatically be emailed to everyone once the opt out period closes. Sound good? Then click the link at the end of this post and sign up!

Now, for a quick FAQ List...

Can I make my own cards, or do they have to be store bought?

Either way. Whatever jingles your bells.

Religious Themes: Yay or Nay?

Again, it doesn't matter. This event is about friendship and holiday cheer.

If I sign up, do I have to send a card to EVERYONE?

YES, and in a timely manner too. I cannot stress this enough. It is selfish, rude, and seriously unfair to sign up and get cards from everyone else and not send any of your own. If you wish to only send cards to a select few members of the CS community, please make such plans on your own.
    Are E-Cards allowed?

No. Once the final list goes out, this becomes a snail mail event. Postcards are allowed, however.

What happens if I sign up and don't send out my cards/don't send out my cards until after the Easter Bunny has visited?

People who sign up and don't follow through make Baby Jesus cry and thus, are automatically placed on Santa's Naughty List for the next year. Oh, and on my naughty list as well. No shows are banned from participating in future events. This is why tallying the cards you receive is so important...it makes sure everyone gets credit and no one gets banned when they don't deserve it.

But what if an emergency comes up and I can't?

I'm not an unreasonable person, and we’ve found that most members of CS that participate are very accommodating. If an emergency comes up, all I ask is that you PLEASE let me know. I will handle things accordingly and you will not be penalized in any way.

How Many People Will Sign Up?

It varies. As the CS community gets larger with each year, the list grows as well. We've had everywhere from 20-60 members sign up in previous years. Unfortunately, my crystal ball hasn't been working lately like it should, so I can't tell for certain how many of you will sign up this year.

We've been using our new sign up method for a couple years now and it works pretty well. The best part is that it features an "Opt Out" period. Sign Ups close on October 26th, but the Opt Out period is available until November 2nd, so if the list swells to an amazingly large number of people and it is no longer feasible for you to participate, you have the option of dropping out before I finalize the list. Once I finalize the list, however, you're in it for the long haul. Also, I can't change your information in the system, so please, please, please make sure your address is complete and correct before hitting the submit button (please?). (PLEASE NOTE: You will NOT be able to submit your sign up unless your address and email information is complete. Please be thorough! And hey! Now’s a great time to make sure your email address in your profile is correct, because that is the email the list will be sent to. Go to the UserCP link at the top of the CS page to update.)

How Much Is Postage?

It depends on where you live, how many people have signed up, and how many of the cards you send will be international. In the past, the majority of participants have been in the US, plus a handful in Canada and the UK, and occasionally a few other far-flung places. As a courtesy, we have provided links to the US, UK, Canadian, NZ, Australian, and South African post offices on the official sign up page. If you are signing up from somewhere else and think we should add your country’s postal service, please send me a link.

It's asking me to login with a username and password. Are those the same as my CS user name and password?

Yes.

I tried to sign up, but didn't get the "activation" email/The final list never showed up in my mailbox!

Check your spam box. If you still have trouble, let us know.

How do I share my joy in having received a card from someone?

When you get a card, log in and go to the Tally up! page and check off that person’s name to let us all know you’ve received their card. This also lets me see if anyone has not sent their cards, so please make sure you tally all your cards and give your fellow CSers the credit they are due! You’ll have until the end of January to get your tallies in.

Did I mention that you have until October 26th to sign up?

So sign up! It’s fun!!

CLICK TO SIGN UP!
    (Look for the Login button on the top right side, sign in with your CS username and password, then click on "2013 Christmas Card Exchange" and follow the instructions.)

Please make sure all your information is correct! The list will be sent as a pdf that can be printed on standard address labels, so please make sure your address is formatted correctly (proper postal abbreviations, etc.). Have I said this enough times? Proofreading is your friend!
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Discussion thread over here!

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
    X