This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding a game.

Again..not sure if this is the right spot, but life advice or work advice section didn't seem right.

Anybody know of a good Turn Based Strategy game for the PS3, PSP, or DS..that includes resource management and army production that isn't Civ related?

Please only turn based..my attention span isn't good enough for Real time .
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Quoth Mytical View Post
    Please only turn based..my attention span isn't good enough for Real time .
    dammit that leaves out populous-you play God, but it's real time

here's a list of all of themever made-apparently 90% are for windows and not consoles-which makes sense.
    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Sorry; 99.9% of TBS will be found on PC.

the other 0.1% is Advance Wars.

Comment

I've played and beaten Advance Wars..all of them out..unless in the last 3 months they've come out with one I am unaware of. However, I know of some besides AW, that I have beaten.

Age of Mythology and Drone Tactics come to mind. One I am trying to find again is VERY similar to Age of Mythology, but set in either China or Japan (sorry it has been a really really long time). I just can't remember the name of it..thought it might be Age of Empires..but every one of those I've found is Real Time. Right now I'd settle for a new Final Fantasy Tactics .

Guess I will have to settle for Roleplaying games, which I find a little lacking on the systems also.

I guess I can include GBA games, since I have a DS..which is backwards compatible

Thanks for the list . Though it is not complete (ie no advanced wars of any kind mentioned) it does give me some ideas

Edit : AHA! There IS one Age of Empires for the DS that is turn based! I am only insane..not delusional! Woot!
        Last edited by Mytical; 05-02-2011, 04:12 AM.
        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Romance of the Three Kingdoms, perhaps? I have no idea if there's one for the consoles (barring the Dynasty Wariors series, but that's more hack&slash), though.

Comment

It was a DS version of Age of Empires that I remembered. Most AoE are Real Time, but this one was Turn Based. If I go the PC route Romance will probably be one I consider though. I like Turn Based, but sadly there are not very many of them, and more are going RTS all the time. I like to have time to consider my moves..
            Last edited by Mytical; 05-01-2011, 09:26 AM.

Comment

I don't know if it fits all of your criteria, but I found Anno 1701 fairly interesting. There's also a second AoE for DS - Mythology. Hard to find, though.
              The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Hmm yes, I mentioned Age of Mythology, but I did not know it was a Age of Empires game. I guess I should have suspected, but never put two and two together. Interesting.

Comment

Well, if your willing to court FF Tactics, I can throw out the Disgaea games as a possibility. There are two out for the PS2 and PSP, the third one is on the PS3 with #4 announced. And they're fairly deep games if you're willing to sink the time into them, or you can finish them in 20-40 hours if you want to just push through. Wicked funny sense of humor in those games as well.

You might also see if there's a Romance of the Three Kingdoms out for the PS3. Not really to my tastes, but it could fit what you're looking for.

ADDENDUM: If you have computer access, you can also look at the free browser games over at Armor Games. There's some really good stuff there, but you have to sift through the crap some. I'm fond of the Protector IV and Gemcraft tower defense games myself.
                  Last edited by Geek King; 05-02-2011, 05:21 PM.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

TBS that includes resource management? Nope, don't know of any that meet your needs. However, I can't recommend Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon for DS enough. You don't have army production, but you do need to balance your units properly and consider what you're up against in each mission. The real gimmick is that each of the three weapon types that a unit may carry has a strength against another, and thus is not as effective against someone holding the third (swords beat axes, but are weaker against javelin/spear carriers). Same deal with magic, 3 types and you have to consider who has what before attacking. You also have to protect ranged fighters, because mages and archers are VERY squishy and if a unit can attack them up close, they're probably dead.

If a unit dies in battle, that's it. There's no reviving anyone. The game auto-saves after EVERY action, so if you screw up and if one of your best units is killed, so simply reloading the auto-save will still result in them being dead. You have to either restart the entire mission, or reload from an on-map save point if there is one. A save point can only be used once, so again, you have to plan out when to use it.
                    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
                    X