Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doggie DNA test, now with 100% more pictures of fuzzfaced cuteness!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doggie DNA test, now with 100% more pictures of fuzzfaced cuteness!

So, a few shops around here sell DNA tests for dogs that will reveal the breed. At $75 a pop, they aren't cheap, so weren't a high priority for us. With my new job, however, we have the money floating around to afford it.

We got it back about a month ago, and Mogli is a purebred german shepherd, going back at least 3 generations.

For those who don't remember, we picked up Mogli from a shelter not far from here. He was picked up as a stray, and given the name by one of the girls who works there. He was full grown when we got him, but he was 39 lbs back then, and is 80 now.

Photos from back then:

You can see his ribs in this shot. This was mere days after we got him.

A photo of him since discovering how awesome water is:

and finally, a youtube video of him being told he's going to his favorite doggy boarding place that allows free play throughout the day:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3QhYoumkFk

He's no longer afraid of me. He's quit picking up rocks, and now he eagerly learns new commands, tricks, and works hard to please us. My favorite part? He's my morning coffee buddy. If I get a call while on call, and go to handle the issue at my computer rather than to the coffee grinder to start coffee, he'll get annoyed, and get in my face and whine and look between me and the couch where we usually sit together in the mornings.
    Coworker: Distro of choice?
    Me: Gentoo.
    Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

He looks good! You should be able to feel (but not easily see) his ribs to be a healthy weight.

Pure GSD? Could be, I can't place the lines though, maybe I'll have my wife look at the pics tonight and she can tell me (lines meaning where it came from, working / show lines, where (USA, West German, East German (DDR), Czech, etc)

I know I'm probably wrong but he looks like West German working line.

GSDs are typically quite intelligent, expect him to learn how to get into trouble.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

"In the case of Mogli, Midorikawa, you ARE the dogfather! (or mother )

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
        He looks good! You should be able to feel (but not easily see) his ribs to be a healthy weight.

I know I'm probably wrong but he looks like West German working line.

GSDs are typically quite intelligent, expect him to learn how to get into trouble.
        Yeah, you can easily feel his ribs, though his fluffy winter undercoat makes that hard sometimes. :-P He's at the Vet's approved weight, and hasn't had a hard time maintaining that weight. He's so physically active we end up feeding him a bit more than recommended on his food bag to maintain his weight.

As for his intelligence, he's very very smart. It took him all of 3 tries to figure out how to catch a treat balanced on his nose.

Usually he's fine left at home to roam the house, but every so often he gets a mischievous streak and goes on a rampage. Nothing destructive to the house, just messy. One day he pulled the trash out. Another he ate an entire loaf of french bread left on the counter for 5 minutes. Another day, he pulled his food bag out of the laundry room and dragged it around the house. We also discovered he loves pepperjack cheese, and ate the block of it I pulled out for hamburgers while I was in the restroom.

Comment

Oh he is looking so good. And happy. It great that he's gaining weight. in the before pictures his head looks too big for his body he is so thin.

Hooray for saving dogs!
          Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
          Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
            Yeah, you can easily feel his ribs, though his fluffy winter undercoat makes that hard sometimes. :-P He's at the Vet's approved weight, and hasn't had a hard time maintaining that weight. He's so physically active we end up feeding him a bit more than recommended on his food bag to maintain his weight.
            Greek yogurt (NOT lowfat), large curd cottage cheese, and maybe some pasta will help put some meat on his bones (and I won't say anything about an occasional box of macaroni and cheese!).

As a treat, maybe 1-2 times a month give raw chicken backs. His size and activity, 4-5 half-backs (what most grocery stores carry) or 2 full backs (what most butchers will carry). Rinse them in very hot water and feet it raw - the bones will easily be digested and they'll scale his teeth and keep them clean.
            Quote Dalesys:
            ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

He looks really really smart-- I watched some of the videos you had on youtube... 1) dang he's loud and 2) I love the way his ears perk and the way he moves when he hears you guys! I wouldn't even be surprised if he started speaking English. Or German.
              You get the idea. : pets puppy:
              "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
              "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
                He looks really really smart-- I watched some of the videos you had on youtube... 1) dang he's loud and 2) I love the way his ears perk and the way he moves when he hears you guys!
                1) This is the video for those who didn't see (turn down your volume, or you'll be blasted off your chair. Mogli has a set of lungs on him.): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc_w8pFtmwU
                2) I love talking to him and watching his ears go up. I'll actually sit and talk to him throughout the day, since the wife works early, and I work late, so we never see each other these days.

and, a while back the neighbors, wife and I took our dogs for a sunrise snowshoeing hike up in the mountains that put us in a place to watch the sun rise behind Park City, UT. Was beautiful, and the dogs loved it. Here's the video of the neighbor's dog and Mogli playing at the summit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBrv-YKicuc

Comment

*SQUEEEEEEE!!!*

I love shepherds! Especially those ginormous ears they have. Mogli's looking amazing. So glad he's loving his new home.

*snuggles puppy*
                  I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Working...
                  X