Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ringtail is making kids starve to death!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ringtail is making kids starve to death!

At least that's what a client said I was doing. Normally my job (at a welfare office for those who don't know) doesn't involve dealing with the clients. Sometimes when too many workers don't show up I have to fill in. Typically this just involves taking messages and entering applications into the system, sounds simple but we all know dealing with people is always more complicated than it needs to be. When I do have to deal with the welfaries I start to miss the old days at Target when I would haul carts or clean restrooms.

Today I had to deal with a real walking stereotype. The kind everyone pictures at the welfare office, wearing designer clothes, loads of gaudy jewelery and driving a pimped-out Escalade. She was immediately rude (four hours in a smelly waiting room does that I hear ) complaining about her aid being cut off. After looking up her file, and finding a number of notes from her caseworker about her rudeness and bad attitude, being cut off several times for not providing accurate information, I found that there were forms that she was supposed to mail to us over a month ago. After informing her of this she slides the forms across the desk. "Will I be able to get my check today?" she didn't ask in real nice way , it sounded more like a condescending tone if anything, with that head bobbing from side to side thing.
    "Not today, most of the workers are out on a mandatory training, I'm just filling in." which was bull, many were out at department luncheons, vacations, out sick or whatever.
    "Well I don't have any money for food for my children, what do you think I should about it." Sending in your forms on time is one wild idea! it's not like you're being forced to work or anything.
    "I'm afraid there's nothing I can do. The El Cajon office may be able give you emergency aid until your next check is mailed." Maybe parting with some of that gold around your fingers, arms, in your ears and in your mouth would keep your kids fed for a few years.
    "I have to go all that way to that other office!?" yup, a whole six miles by car.
    "That office is the closest I'm afraid." I'm ready to leave at this point, she had been using that same condescending tone the whole time.
    Luckily for me she's getting ready to leave muttering, "My kids are starving to death because of you and you want me to go driving around the city."
    I shrug and say, "Have a nice day."
    "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

This is why I would not be able to work as a case manager for social services.

That being said, if I did work as a case manager for social services, there would be a lot more money being saved by DSS.

Right up front, I'd tell those looking for aid for their children: "I am not here to raise, feed, clothe, or otherwise care for your children. That is your sole responsibility. I am here to assist you in receiving aid as necessary. I can only help you with this with your cooperation. Failure to cooperate and comply with any directions set forth by this office without good reason will be taken as a refusal of assistance."
    Marvin: "Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to take you down to the bridge. Call that job satisfaction? 'Cos I don't."

Krispy Kreme puts the "ugh" back in "doughnuts".

Comment

TheComputerError, when you do go work for DSS can I film your daily life?
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I'm on WIC right now.

We have one car, a '94 Sable.

My son is 19 months old and we're 6 days from having our second child, and, I probably won't get to stay on WIC after the first of the year, when it really counts.

People like that make me sick.

Comment

*click* Let me take a picture for your file. K Thanks.
          "Wow, that has to be the best genital analogy EVER. "

Comment

I had a woman come thru my line last year who was buying a whole lot of stuff, including beer and cigarettes. Well, the total got to around $130 and she said, "Oh my God, he will KILL me if I spend that much!! You will have to take some of this off!" So she started digging around in her bags for stuff to take off the bill, and my Team Lead came over to help me find the items on the bill and void them off. Milk..take it off!!...meat...Take it off!! Veggies...take them off!! Baby food...put back 20 some jars and keep 2.
            By the time she got done she only had a few items. A couple of jars of baby food, some junk food (think chips and beef jerky sticks)...and THE FREAKIN" BEER AND CIGGY BUTTS!!!!!
            My Team Lead and I both had our mouths hanging open...how could you let your baby go without food but go home with beer and cigarettes????? We still talk about that at the store.

We also had a lot of people come thru who got food stamps following the big windstorm we had (we got hit HARD by the remains of Hurricane Ike with wind gusts up to 80mph) to replace food they had lost when they were without power for several days. Now this was supposedly to replace frozen food and perishables that spoiled in their fridge and freezer. I saw more people coming thru with those buying junk food and that made me really mad. That is our tax dollars paying for that and it was supposed to buy "good food", not junk. One woman came thru and used her card to buy King Crab legs for $55!!!

We had a lot of fraud from that...people didn't have to prove their loss, and we had at least one guy coming in bragging about how he got his FEMA card for all the food that he (wink wink) lost in the power outage. He said his power wasn't even out, but hell, it was free and he was entitled. Wish I could have turned him in...people like that make me sick.

Comment

The thing I like about WIC is that it only lets you buy certain foods, such as milk, cereal, cheese, eggs, and similar necessary items. Food stamps usually also limit the types of things you can buy. Just handing people a check they can spend however they want doesn't work.
              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
              HR believes the first person in the door
              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
              Document everything
              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

"My kids are starving to death because of you and you want me to go driving around the city."
                "You're a month late on this and you're blaming ME? Allllrighty then!"
                Last edited by PepperElf; 12-17-2008, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                  It's a bit of a touchy subject for me...
                  Welfare can be a bit of a touchy subject in general. I'm kinda hesitant about making posts about a lot of the things I deal with at my office because of it. That's why the few stories I post these days tend to deal with the stupidity of my coworkers.
                  "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

Back when I was growing up Food Stamps could only be used to buy regular nutritious food (milk, bread, meat, fruits and veggies). Then a bunch of recipients started whining about how their kids should be allowed to have junk food like "all the other kids", so they expanded the list of allowed foods to include stuff like chips, soda, candy and other junk. My take is, "If you want your kids to have that junk, buy it yourself! Don't do it on the taxpayers' dime."

There was a family whose kids went to school with me. The parents would take the kids' welfare benefits and spend them on themselves, including joining a bowling league. Then they would encourage the kids to steal money from their classmates so they would have food to eat at school. One of the daughters wanted to look at the photos in my wallet and while she had it she cleaned out my money. Her brother apologized (he was really embarrassed by the whole thing) but she refused to give my money back. Those parents and their "me first" attitude and their downright encouragement of the kids thievery really pissed me off.

Comment

Quoth RetailSlave View Post
                      but she refused to give my money back.
                      That's when school security is your friend ^_^
                      I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
                      In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

I remember my parents telling me a story about before they were married. My great aunt and her husband were on foodstamps, and this was when foodstamps were stamps. My great aunt would try to offer my parents $X in stamps for cash so she could get beer and cigarettes! And she had two little girls to provide for!

Then when I worked at the gas station, this one girl said if I gave her $20 for a bag of pot, she'd let me use her Questcard (Wisconsin Foodstamp card) for $20 worth of whatever food I wanted.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                          Then when I worked at the gas station, this one girl said if I gave her $20 for a bag of pot, she'd let me use her Questcard (Wisconsin Foodstamp card) for $20 worth of whatever food I wanted.
                          Bah, cheap bastard. Going rate for Food Stamp fraud is two dollars in food stamps for every one in real money. More if they "need a fix bad."

Yeah. Work takes me to some interesting parts of town. Why?
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                            TheComputerError, when you do go work for DSS can I film your daily life?
                            Absolutely. It'll be the most entertaining (or boring - can't predict life) show ever.

And, it'd be much less embarrassing than my last stint in video.
                            Marvin: "Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to take you down to the bridge. Call that job satisfaction? 'Cos I don't."

Krispy Kreme puts the "ugh" back in "doughnuts".

Comment

This thread reminds me of a stand-up routine (I think it was Jeff Foxworthy, but correct me if I'm wrong), where he introduces a game he called "White Trash" to the audience:

If you are having a party with lots of booze, do this to have a little fun...

1) go to a supermarket that sells the alcohol you need
                              2) stock up a shopping cart with all that is needed
                              3) on the way to the registers, pick up a package of diapers
                              4) while paying, pretend that you don't have quite enough money and try to put the diapers back
                              5) relish the stunned look on the faces of the worker, co-workers and onlookers.
                              "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Working...
                              X