Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The importance of reading all the words.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The importance of reading all the words.

We don't do cash out on EFTPOS transactions (the official reason being that "it's too expensive", the real reason being it helps us avoid dealing with crackheads who don't even have 50 cents in the bank).

So we have an ATM in the store. On this ATM is a sign reading "Please note, when the ATM is out of order there is NO CASH OUT available at the service desk".

One Saturday morning, the ATM was out of cash after a big Friday night.

SC: "The ATM's not working... there's a sign that says there is cash out available at the service desk."
    Me: "Actually that says there is no cash out available."
    SC: "Why do you have to take everything so literally?"

I couldn't think of a reply to that one (witty or otherwise, not even "Huh?"). Fortunately he wandered off before the silence got embarrassing.

A lesson I was told when I was a young cild herd. Never say "Don't run" because all teh kids will hear is "run".

Turns out this applies to husbands and customers. I'd remove the NO Cash OUts from teh sign pronto.

Comment

Honestly? I think I'd probably have to be restrained from a comment along the lines of "What color is the sky in your world?"
      I suppose simple dumbfounded blinking might work too. What a dingus.

Comment

I see that with SCs and our sale signs. They will say, in small letters "Up to" and then in HUGE letters "X% OFF" and then again in tiny letters "the original price"

Now I will admit that sometimes if you look quickly, you might think that everything is X% off, but I can't tell you how many people will whine and moan when we tell them that not everything is the % off on the sign, but UP TO - meaning some things may be less off.

Comment

Working...
        X