This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Know How to Do Tax Exempt Dammit

So, this woman walks up, and I swear the first thing out of her mouth is This is tax exempt, no hi or anything. She then proceeds to tell me how tax exempt works, and this is how you do it, and "something in your computer tells you it's tax exempted"

Blah Blah

This wouldn't be sucky, except for her ending line....

You'll probably have to call your manager over, so they can tell you how to do it.

A, You just TOLD ME HOW TO DO IT (If this was some other store. Because what she described made no sense.)
    B, I know how to do my fucking job, thanks for playing.

I know why she acted like that, I do. But GOD. The ending line kills me every time.

That woman was completley sucky but as someone who used to buy stuff tax-exempt I can understand a high level of frustration. I have been bounced around between 3 different cashiers in a Target because none of them knew how to do an exempt sale. I have stood in line for a freaking hour at a Dicks Sporting Goods because even every freaking manager on duty had no clue how to do one. In the 10+ exempt purchases I did, I think there was only 1 time that the first cashier I went to knew how to do it off the bat.

Still not excusing the lady at all, but boy am I glad I don't deal with that anymore.
    Losing faith in humanity, one customer at a time

Comment

Quoth AriaBlue View Post
      B, I know how to do my fucking job, thanks for playing.

I know why she acted like that, I do. But GOD. The ending line kills me every time.
      Oh, my Goddess! How I hate when people feel they need to tell you how to do your job.

One of my favorites is when I'm looking for the back that has their prescriptions in it and they see on they think is theirs because the container looks the same. Yeah, you're the only person out or all these bags that getting that particular container.

This is the best one -
      Our bags hang on two rack with last name beginning with A-J on top and K-Z on the bottom. This woman started in, "Oh that's mine up there, it's a blue container, that's mine, that's mine, that's mine, etc.". When she took a breath, I told her no, ma'am that's not yours. And got hers. How was I positive that wasn't hers? Well, she was pointing at the Hs, on the top. Her last name started with and S, which is on the bottom.

Let us handle our damn jobs, m'kay? Thankyouverymuch.
      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

These guys suck to no end. Usually when people try to tell me how to do my job, I ignored them. If they press the matter I usually asked, "I'm sorry, do you work here?"

YES
        "Excellent. Then I have the same level of training you do. Let me do my job."

NO
        "Then I believe I've had the most recent training on what to do. Let me do it."
        I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

ah yes. At my job there is a nifty little button that says "notax" you press that, and no tax, so I'm lucky like that.

Its always fun when people tell me how to do my job. Especially if I'm making someone else's drink. "I said no foam!"... "ma'am, this is one of the other six people standing around you's drink."
          http://footloosecomic.com Pirate Faeries!!

Comment

Aw man, tax exempt is never fun to go through.

I'm native, and in Quebec, stores have to take off one tax for natives. It's a law. A lot of people don't know how to do it, which can get frustrating. I do, however, understand that they probably don't get a lot of native people in the store saying they need the tax off, so I'm always patient about it.

It's the douchewaffles that refuse to take the tax off that make me mad. They're usually the separatists that think everything non-french is an abomination.

Comment

Quoth Animae View Post
              Especially if I'm making someone else's drink. "I said no foam!"... "ma'am, this is one of the other six people standing around you's drink."
              Oh that makes me LIVID! It happens to me so often. People get a liiiiittle too close to the employee side of the counter and sometimes are almost behind it, tellking me how to make their drink, when 9/10 times I'm making someone else's.

The customers trying to come behind the counter thing is exactly why I've started putting a chair at the opening of the counter. I HATE more than anything when people don't respect the limits of where they are and are not allowed to be.
              Just wait until I get my hands on a cattle prod.

Comment

I love the people who ask for tax exempt but have no proof they use tax exempt except for their word. Sorry, that's not how it works.

I also know how to do my job, there's only a small handful of things I don't know how to do [ which mainly is custom framing and floral, receiving, and management duties but they aren't relevant to my current job status ]. I've been working at the store for a good number of years now, so I hate when people come in and think I don't know how to do things.
                Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Animae View Post
                  Especially if I'm making someone else's drink.
                  I had the opposite problem the other day at Burger King. I ordered a chocolate milk shake with my meal, and the lady goes over to the milk shake machine and starts doing a strawberry shake. I was fairly sure that it was mine, since I think my order was up next, but I was afraid to say anything about her doing the wrong thing just in case it wasn't mine (there was also drive-through, although I don't know if the counter people were also doing the gathering of food for drive-through or if DT-specific people did it). Well, it turns out it was mine she was doing wrong, and after I pointed out I ordered chocolate instead of strawberry, she had to throw away the entire strawberry milk shake and make me a chocolate one.

Comment

Quoth AriaBlue View Post
                    I know how to do my fucking job, thanks for playing.

If I wasnt so lazy, I would steal this for my sig right the hell now.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                      Oh that makes me LIVID! It happens to me so often. People get a liiiiittle too close to the employee side of the counter and sometimes are almost behind it, tellking me how to make their drink, when 9/10 times I'm making someone else's.
                      No kidding!! People will start yelling at me because they did not ask for mayonnaise and what kind of idiot am I. I ask "Is your name Craig?" They snap "NO! And NO mayonnaise!!" I respond "Well this is Craig's sandwich so maybe you should wait your turn."
                      Last edited by Ree; 12-18-2008, 10:10 PM. Reason: Edited quote

Comment

Quoth CiggyStoreClerk View Post
                        It's the douchewaffles that refuse to take the tax off that make me mad. They're usually the separatists that think everything non-french is an abomination.
                        Bah-buh..trying to keep from mentioning that..buh...certainlanguageswerethereinCanadabefor eFrenchand...

Oh, no, I won't say it, because that would be bad.

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
                          I love the people who ask for tax exempt but have no proof they use tax exempt except for their word. Sorry, that's not how it works.

I also know how to do my job, there's only a small handful of things I don't know how to do [ which mainly is custom framing and floral, receiving, and management duties but they aren't relevant to my current job status ]. I've been working at the store for a good number of years now, so I hate when people come in and think I don't know how to do things.
                          Sounds like you are another craft store hell employee. Customers get bitchy about tax exempt. It is slightly convoluted to do tax exempt on our crappy registers, but every cashier is told how to do it (usually).

Last bitchy tax exempt customer I had was all "do you know how do THIS???" because the customer before her had something up with her order that not even the MOD could figure out. I felt like slapping her. "Yes, bitch, now just fill out the fucking green paper..."
                          you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

I don't want to sound like an idiot but... Why are some people and items exempt from taxes??

Comment

Some schools will get tax exempt numbers, so if the teachers go out and buy something, they don't have to pay tax on it, because its for the school. I got this a lot when I worked at a toy store. There are more examples than this, it is just the first one I thought of.
                              http://footloosecomic.com Pirate Faeries!!

Comment

Working...
                              X