Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most government facilities are tax exempt. I would assume churches would be as well.
    Losing faith in humanity, one customer at a time

Comment

I think I heard something about Native Americans being (mostly?) tax exempt. I have no idea what the criteria are.

In Europe sales tax is called VAT and done a different way - in particular it is normally already included in the price tag.

If you are a business, you can claim back the VAT on some of your business-related expenses, because VAT is supposed to apply to the final consumer, not cumulatively on each step of the production chain. The tradeoff is that you have to charge VAT on what you sell (and give it to the government). I half-suspect that registered charities can do the same.

But sometimes a store will allow a business to quote their VAT number in order to make a purchase with the VAT already taken off. This reduces the overheads for the buyer, but it's only worthwhile for big-ticket items because it's extra hassle to hand over the VAT number.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
        In Europe sales tax is called VAT and done a different way - in particular it is normally already included in the price tag.

If you are a business, you can claim back the VAT on some of your business-related expenses, because VAT is supposed to apply to the final consumer, not cumulatively on each step of the production chain. The tradeoff is that you have to charge VAT on what you sell (and give it to the government). I half-suspect that registered charities can do the same.
        You can also file a request to get the VAT back if you're not from the European Union. We did have the forms when we were in the UK a couple of years ago, but figured it was more of a hassle than it was worth.

When I order anything from Scotland, most of the websites have prices with and without the VAT for overseas orders.
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth CiggyStoreClerk View Post
          They're usually the separatists that think everything non-french is an abomination.
          Did I mention we have a site called "fratching" for discussing issues such as this?
          Quoth Can I Help Your A$$? View Post
          Bah-buh..trying to keep from mentioning that..buh...certainlanguageswerethereinCanadabefor eFrenchand...

Oh, no, I won't say it, because that would be bad.
          If you're not going to say it because it would be bad, then don't say it.
          It's a pretty simple concept.

One more time F-R-A-T-C-H-I-N-G!!!!!
          Last edited by Ree; 12-18-2008, 10:13 PM.
          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Working...
          X