Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You don't need it but if you aren't going to listen, fine I'll take your money.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You don't need it but if you aren't going to listen, fine I'll take your money.

I hate this time of the year. I really do. They pass I don't know how many signs telling them they either need to carry chains or that the freeway is impassible. Do they pay attention? No! (friggin morons)

Woman is buying cable chains. She does not need chain tighteners. They are not designed for cables. The only reason to use tighteners on cables is if you are using a cable size that is too large for the tire. If you buy from me, you are not getting anything but the correct size.
    But no, she wants to argue that she needs it. My mother-in-law tries explaining it but it's not getting through the woman's thick skull. Over and over the woman is arguing that she needs the tighteners, until my MIL is so fed up she throws up her hands and says "Fine, I'll sell them to you to get you out of here".

After the transaction the woman wants to discuss whether or not needs them only this time she's not sure she does!!!!!!! I would have told her no, but as long as I tried to explain that she sure as hell wasn't going to get her money back now! MIL simply told her "No" and turned away.

I know businesses around here that would not hesitate to sell someone something they don't need. We do not do that. The other night my last chain request obviously didn't know his vehicle didn't require chains unless he was sliding around for some reason and simply wanted them. (he simply saw the controls, came in and said he thought he needed them) His truck chains would have cost him quite a bit and I could have easily sold them to him but I explained the situation to him. He couldn't even bother to say "thank you". This is what we get for operating honestly.

I dislike these people so much...

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
    ~Clerks

In Finland, it is mandatory to use winter tyres (of any kind) during certain months of the year. It is allowed to use them whenever the weather (forecast or actual) warrants it.

In Sweden, it is also mandatory to carry snow chains. If you're already using winter tyres, and stay on the highways, then the chains will hardly ever be needed.

In both countries, you must have either running lights or dipped headlights on at all times - day or night, summer or winter.

In Finland, the standard driving course includes experience with compromised traction surfaces - eg. gravel, aquaplaning, and/or ice. It also includes night-driving experience.

Is it any wonder that so many champion drivers come from up here?

Comment

I heard today that Quebec provincial law now requires all vehicles to have snow tires between certain cutoff dates, and that Alberta may do the same thing next year*. Weirdly, I also learned that studded (ice) tires are NOT legal in Alberta!

*With the number of idiots sliding around out there today, I said "go for it." It can only help... That said, I have all-seasons on my little car, but it's a front wheel drive and I know how to use the low gear, unlike all the idiots spinning their wheels!

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
        In Finland, the standard driving course includes experience with compromised traction surfaces - eg. gravel, aquaplaning, and/or ice. It also includes night-driving experience.
        Sounds like where I grew up in Ohio. Except it wasn't part of the training, just our normal winters and my first car.

I'm sure yours are worse though. That kind of training sounds like fun to me, but then, I've always wanted to take one of those security driver's training courses that bodyguards and the like take.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
          In Finland, the standard driving course includes ... night-driving experience.
          We should have that here, considering the <8 hours of daylight in winter in most areas.... I don't mind night driving, it's the twilight that really throws me off and that I try to avoid.

Comment

I'm dealing with flatlanders who visit winter rather than live in it.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
            ~Clerks

Comment

Quoth SuperB View Post
              I'm dealing with flatlanders who visit winter rather than live in it.
              Oh god, the snowbirds. HIDE. NOW.
              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Yet another thing I don't have to deal with living in Florida.

I have no idea what the difference a snow tire makes or how tire chains work. ^_^

One time, many years ago it 'snowed' in Florida. Like 1/16 of an inch. Pretty much everything shut down... until it melted 2 hours later.

Comment

Winter tyres tend to have two defining characteristics, and one optional one:

- Softer rubber compound, so they don't stiffen up in the cold. (This in turn makes them *too* soft in summer.)

- Deeper, chunkier tread, to grip on snow and push away slush and heavy rain. (This makes them less suitable for high-speed running, which is discouraged anyway in winter.)

- Optional: hard studs, to grip on ice. These are discouraged/illegal in some places, because they increase road wear, but I think this is stupid because you can't predict when you'll encounter ice. They are *not* illegal in Finland, though they are strongly discouraged outside of the cold-weather seasons.

There are also "all-season" tyres, which are acceptable for use at any time of year, but don't have as good performance in winter conditions as proper winter tyres.

Comment

Quoth Mara-chan View Post
                    Yet another thing I don't have to deal with living in Florida.

I have no idea what the difference a snow tire makes or how tire chains work. ^_^

One time, many years ago it 'snowed' in Florida. Like 1/16 of an inch. Pretty much everything shut down... until it melted 2 hours later.
                    Oh, I *HATE* you.......

Comment

I kinda hate the Floridians too right now... it's -23C with a north wind that's bringing the windchill factor down past -33C. It is snowing, in a miserly sort of way, and the wind is a "lazy" wind - it doesn't bother going round you, just whips straight through...

On the other hand, it's a good excuse to drink a lot of rum and eggnog, hot toddies, and mulled wine.

Comment

Would you hate me too if I told you I live in south america and he coldest it ever gets here is 18CÂș ?
                        I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Working...
                        X