Random Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joys of a romantic relationship:

"Hey, you need to get a fresh towel next time you take a shower. I cut my ankle shaving and it's bleeding a lot so I'm using your towel to staunch it."
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
      ... I'm using your towel to staunch it."
      Drat... It'd take more than that one towel if I removed their head...
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
        If someone got hold of an extra PS5 and offered it online for £50- first person to send in and tell me why they deserve it gets it- the chances are they wouldn't get any replies as everybody would automatically assume its a scam...
        Based on what I have seen on Facebook, you will get flooded with replies.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

• Life advice: "Your first mistake was attacking Jackie Chan at all. Your second mistake was choosing to attack Jackie Chan in a room where there was 'stuff'. The exact nature of the 'stuff' is irrelevant; you're still going down in a crescendo of clonks, thwacks and ka-bongs..."
          Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
          They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

• I really hate the phrase "it's the thought that counts." It's an excuse used so a person can do what they want. It's gift giving time, and a person gives a gift that makes no sense for the recipient?* Well, it's the thought that counts. A person doesn't ask for help or instructions before doing a task, and they break, damage, and/or inconvenience someone? Oops, it's the thought that counts.

My parents raised me to ask how I can help, to be thoughtful about gifts, and generally think ahead instead of running into a situation unprepared. I know this is not the case for others, but over the years why can't people learn? At work I constantly have to fix things that people have done to "be nice." I don't even say anything anymore, because I become the mean lady. But honestly, NOBODY ASKED them to do these things. They aren't useful. It is not the thought that counts.

*I have a big rant about thoughtless gifts but the condensed version is, if you're not going to put even a tiny bit of effort in, then just get a gift card to someplace like Amazon or Target, or even a plain VISA. I always get stupid girly crap that I don't use. I hate scents and heavily perfumed stuff, so obviously I get strongly scented lotion. I never ever go to spas, so I'll get a gift certificate to a spa. I read a lot, and people notice, but instead of looking at the titles of the books, or asking, they buy from the best seller table. I don't read that stuff, sorry. At least for those I can sell them to bookstores. Anyway. I feel insulted to receive these gifts. I'd rather get nothing. Maybe I sound ungrateful, but when I give a gift I put in effort because I really enjoy it. Others are clearly doing it out of obligation.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

• Quoth notalwaysright View Post
              "it's the thought that counts."
              Yes. Yes it does. However, it actually requires that you think first.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

• So NAR what books do you read?
                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                  ... but instead of looking at the titles of the books, or asking, they buy from the best seller table. I don't read that stuff, sorry. ...
                  I used to feel that way. But then Hunt For Red October came out on the best seller list and I was talked into reading it. Ever since then I keep an eye on the best seller lists just in case another good book makes it.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                    So NAR what books do you read?
                    Fantasy, sci-fi, horror, stuff like that. Terry Pratchett. Actually, if they were going to get me something from the best sellers, they could get me something by Neil Gailman and I'd be happy. Oh, even Steven King. So I'm not impossible to buy for, I don't think. And again, just get me a gift card. But people think that's impersonal. Haha, buying me stuff I would never like is worse.

What I get is usually Danielle Steel, Julia Quinn, or something like "a mother grieves after losing her daughter to cancer while learning to raise horses." Not a real example, but this is something I would not be surprised to get, and am not interested in.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

• If you can go off on a tangent, why can't you go off on a sine or cosine?
                      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

• Quoth mjr View Post
                        If you can go off on a tangent, why can't you go off on a sine or cosine?
                        If you are on a sine or cosine you keep oscillating around the topic, but if you are on a tangent, you just keep going away from the topic.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Ooh l just started listening to Good Omens on audiobook. The devil character seems to be telling me to buy NAR a subscription to the Danielle-Steel-Book-of-the-Week club ��
                          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• I like gift cards, especially to places to eat, because I know I'll use them up before January is up, early February at the latest. Or, heck, just give me money so I can go use it to wherever I want -- even a gas card would be nice.
                            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

• New president, who dis?

Comment

• Sitting in traffic & thinking about how the Celts used to keep the heads of their defeated enemies so they could absorb their strength (as one does), I came up with a fantastic dialogue exchange for my WIP!

Comment

Working...
                                X