This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Teskeria View Post
    gee, Fireheart, I just thought you read a lot. you mean that ISN'T how you know?
    Actually no it is how I know

Oddly enough, the prostitutes and condoms thing came out of this book that this girls magazine had put together. It contained a bunch of information relating to a whole bunch of things including sexual activity, body image and even a section for boys o.o
    A lot of the info was questions and this was one of them.

The rest of my info came up in this magazine special for older woman that exclusively dealt with sex (with more adult content). I learnt there just how much training a dominatrix really goes through....
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Mmhmmm. Takes about a year, on average, and even then there's specialties you won't have had time to thoroughly learn.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
        true. From what I remember in my Human Sexuality class... the pores in latex are 50X bigger than HIV. And that - in the real world - condoms fail at about a 17% rate. (fail, by the standards of the test, meant "girl ends up pregnant" - not sure if they did a separate test on std transfers with condoms tho)
        Depends. Once study did find that the pores in latex were 50x the size of the HIV virus, but that study was on latex gloves. Condoms are manufactured to higher standards (go figure), so the pores are much smaller, small enough that some studies couldn't detect pores at maximum sensitivity. Moreover, HIV is more commonly spread by infected cells than free floating viruses, so even if the pores were large enough to let the virus through it's still unlikely that they would pass through the relatively viscous semen in the relatively short... erm... window of opportunity. Most studies found that condoms dropped the HIV infection rate to 0-2% when used properly. As for pregnancy, there's about a 2-3% rate of annual pregnancy among perfect users of condoms. The 17% annual rate is for typical users - either they don't always use them or they use them incorrectly. Not great, but those numbers can be boosted dramatically by proper use and combining with an oral contraceptive.

The bigger danger, of course, is either STI's that can be spread without direct fluid contact or johns who use condoms improperly. And of course, since prostitutes have more sex with more partners than the typical user the low probability is still a concern. Checking for obvious signs will at least let them reject higher risk customers, though, which can keep that number reasonable. Come to think of it, the high price and requiring a venue would cut down on that as well - drug addicts and other prone-to-infection types are less likely to be able to afford the high costs associated with prostitutes. I wonder how the infection rate of prostitutes in areas where its legal compares to those where it isn't... might make a decent argument for legalization.

Comment

I'd bet either the CDC or the WHO would have that information.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Guys, this is a thread about sucky customers. Not legalizing prostitution, not the effectiveness of condoms etc. Take that to fratching.
            The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Working...
            X