This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The register of babble

Customer came through my line yesterday and said "Merci beaucoup!" at the end of the transaction. I could not, for the life of me, think of how to say "You're welcome" in French ...

First thing that came to mind: "Spasibo" which is "Thank you" ... in RUSSIAN.

Closely followed by "Bitte" which is "You're welcome" ... in GERMAN.

Just waiting for somebody in authority to come and seize my birth certificate ... "You call yourself a CANADIAN?!?"
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

"It's nothing" is the typical response. "De rien."
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Back in high school, my girlfriend (who was born and raised in the USA as was I), once asked me, "Que hora es?"
      "About eleven twenty."
      "That wasn't English, was it?"
      "Nope."
      "Well, the first one I pulled up was German, and I knew THAT was wrong."

It's probably good she didn't try German: my Spanish is limited to Sesame Street levels, but my German is mostly guessing from similar sounding English words. Wie spät ist es would have flummoxed me entirely. (I mean, "ist es" is pretty clearly "is it", and it is clearly a question, but I wouldn't know "spat" if it bit me.)

Still, that doesn't have the same cultural baggage I guess. As a Canadian you were definitely taught a bit of French. And as a typical Canadian you have forgotten most of it.

Comment

At the time I was in elementary school, our "teachings" of French consisted almost entirely of memorizing how to conjugate verbs. By the end of any given year, we could chant off verb conjugations quite easily.

But conversing in the language? Conversing?? What's that?
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
        X