Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O.k., I don't post much on the board. I have been a member of the board in it's various forms for over 5 years now. I am what you would call a long time member, but not especially well known. So much is the case I bet that most of you have stopped reading by now, if you even started.

I don't post much because I don't have a lot of time. Also I can be somewhat irreverent in what I have to say, and the tone can be taken the wrong way. I have the privilege of being able to read from work during the day, but I try to be selective in what I read. Threads like this one do tend to irritate me somewhat. I'll explain why.

I really enjoy reading Gravekeeper's threads, especially the cats. I have however stopped reading after his initial post. As a long time member and someone who has seen a lot of good and bad threads and posts, I have found most of what follows a Gravekeeper post to be banal and somewhat childish. I am not attacking anyone in particular, I am just explaining what I believe I am reading.

I understand the Mods frustration because it is their responsibility to try and read as much of what goes on, on the board as they can. They have lives and families too, and to have to waste their time reading one word posts and calls of "me first" must be onerous.

The bandwagon jumping will always go on. However I think it's time that some people started to take a step back and think about what they type before they reply. Ask yourselves: does what I have to say, really need to be said? Will it contribute constructively to the overall content of the board? Do others really need to read it? Would it be better sent through a PM?

If I've offended anyone, please understand that it was not my intent. Thank you for reading if you bothered.
    "smacked upside the head by the harsh of daylight" - Tori Amos "The Beauty of Speed"

a sucking chest wound is merely mother nature's way of telling you to slow down - Arm

Comment

Quoth NotSoInnocent View Post
      HOLY CRAP!!! I have reached the holy grail!

I'M THE FIRST TO RESPOND!!!!

*MOD EDIT - Please edit quotes. We have already read the whole thing once, and don't need to read it again.
      CURSES!!! FOILED AGAIN!!!!!

I hang my head in defeat..

Hell, I'm even two days late on this one!
      Last edited by Ree; 03-11-2008, 09:57 PM.
      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth The Gatekeeper View Post
        However I think it's time that some people started to take a step back and think about what they type before they reply. Ask yourselves: does what I have to say, really need to be said? Will it contribute constructively to the overall content of the board? Do others really need to read it? Would it be better sent through a PM?

If I've offended anyone, please understand that it was not my intent. Thank you for reading if you bothered.
        Hey, there, Gatekeeper.

I have to say this is good advice for any reply on any board that isn't specifically for dross and goofing about. I can't even begin to count the number of posts I've never posted because I re-read what I'd written and realized that I didn't actually have anything to contribute to the discussion.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
          "Available in the frozen sections of all major supermarkets..."
          OK, this is too much to explain to my roommate, so she will just have to think I am crazy for laughing like a lunatic at my computer screen. Thanks, Raps.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
            Hey, there, Gatekeeper.

I have to say this is good advice for any reply on any board that isn't specifically for dross and goofing about. I can't even begin to count the number of posts I've never posted because I re-read what I'd written and realized that I didn't actually have anything to contribute to the discussion.

^-.-^
            Thanks for the support AB. Apparently not everyone agrees. Which is their right of course.
            "smacked upside the head by the harsh of daylight" - Tori Amos "The Beauty of Speed"

a sucking chest wound is merely mother nature's way of telling you to slow down - Arm

Comment

A couple of questions, how did that guy get his car locked into the car park? I know, it has closing hours & silly him, he didn't read the signs. But really, that still puzzles me.

Leaky toilet/smoke detector: um, no I got nothing. If the toilet was somehow spraying, and the detector was one of the really nice ones that also reacts to heat & to water, then yeah, there's a connection. But I've never even heard of a toilet spraying.
              I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Quoth TryNotToBeThatOne View Post
                A couple of questions, how did that guy get his car locked into the car park? I know, it has closing hours & silly him, he didn't read the signs. But really, that still puzzles me.
                If you read a few of Gravekeepers posts, you'll find that lots of people completely and utterly fail to read the carpark signs and let their cars be locked in.

Some of these laureates even end up calling in several times to whine to him that they need their car.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Personally I'd just like to be able to post the funny without someone or something bringing down the Wrath of Mod(tm).

So please guys, gals and unspecified net roaming creatures in between, behave and avoid divine judgment. For the sake of my sanity, if nothing else. -.-

Comment

My sanity would be appreciated as well.

I know most people don't read Site News posts, so I figured I'd post this here. Rampant fanclubbery was funny for a while, but jokes have a best before date. It's gone stale. Other fads, such as the pineapples of yesteryear, came and went, but this has been snowballing for some time with no sign of ending.

Call this a prophecy if you will, but if the rampant rush towards being the first to respond and the empty hero worship continues, I'll get around to getting a Site News in place and we'll just delete any fanclub posts on sight. I don't want to have to do this, but I will if I have to. I can't speak for Gravekeeper, but as the owner of the board I consider it embarrassing that so many people are putting up contentless posts in response. I have pointed out URLs to his threads to other people before now, but it was annoying to have to point out that the threads following them were generally ignorable.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                    X