This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The older generation

Just to set the scene a little, I’m a commercial landscaper but we do allot of tree work, felling and such. This day was just that, a simple tidy and fell, clean up and we get to go home.

The tree in question was a 40ft Silver Birch on the edge of a car park, so we had to drop it into the first 5/6 bays since there was a building to one side and we tend to leave a little bit more room then necessary since Mr. Murphy and his law tends to show up now n again. So we cone it off, place signs clearly stating that there will be men working overhead and that we will be felling this tree.

Around quarter to 9 the car park starts to fill up and most people can see what’s intended and what’s going on so they park well out of the way. Then this older gentleman pulls up, within inches of the cones, in his brand new Mercedes and starts leaning on the horn.

I ignore him for a few minutes as it’s a big tree and it’s getting close to the time when it should be dropping. Clearly this annoyed him as next thing I know he’s out of his car, stomping through the cones and tapping me on the shoulder. It went something like this

Me: The charming young landscaper
    SOG: Sucky old guy

Sog: WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING!!!!!
    Me: SIR, I NEED YOU TO STEP BACK BEHIND THE CONES (now admittedly this was shouted as I’m wearing ear protection and there’s a chainsaw going off not 10 feet away)

At this point I step through the cones and walk to the back of his car and he follows.

Me: What can I do for you?
    Sog: (Still shouting) THAT’S MY F***ING SPACE YOU’VE CONED OFF!
    Me: Well I’m sorry if that’s the case bu…
    Sog: (interrupting) I don’t care if you f***ing sorry I want them moved now

It’s around now I’m getting slightly peeved as he can obviously see what were trying to do and there are plenty of signs around the place.

Me: I’m sorry but that’s not possible. For safety reasons it has to be coned off while we’re working. I’m afraid you’re just going to have to park somewhere else

Now this is a big car park and it’s not even half full at this point

Sog: No I’m f***ing not. That’s my space. That’s my Office (pointing to the building next to the tree) and I’ll park where I f***ing want!

Me: Sir, once again I’m afraid you will have to find somewhere else to park

Sog: Oh really and why the f**k is that?

It’s at this point the tree decides to help me make my point and drops. The bulk of it landing right where he would have parked his car. The old guys face was a picture.

Me: (trying to keep the smirk off my face) That’s why. Now if you’ll excuse me I have to get this cleaned up.

So I turn away and get on with my job, he gets into his car and moves it away while giving me dirty looks.

Now I could just about understand it if the car park was full but I guess he was just pissed that he had to walk his fat arse an extra 15 feet to get into his office.
    The general laziness of some office workers never ceases to amaze me, but then what do i know i'm only the gardener........
    All of these things the worker has done
    From tilling the fields to carrying the gun
    We've been yoked to the plough since time first began
    And always expected to carry the can.

I would have told him..."Sure, be my guest". & when all hell broke loose I would have laughed my ass off...lol. Why is it that some people have to learn the hard way about certain things?

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
      Why is it that some people have to learn the hard way about certain things?
      because, that's the only time they'll pay attention.

oh, I wish I could've seen his face, I would've laughed my ass off!
      We Pick Up the Pieces

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
        I would have told him..."Sure, be my guest". & when all hell broke loose I would have laughed my ass off...lol.
        But then when the tree fell on the guys car, he would've sued because Titchyboy should've known that he was a lazy idiot

Comment

Heh.

It's all in the timing.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

that was a sweet puff with awesome filling.

ah, to see that look just once in my life.
            look! it's ghengis khan!
            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

My friend is an arborist whose employer does a bunch of work for the city of Cambridge, Massachusetts.

There are two things in Cambridge that don't go well together, narrow streets and bad drivers. As a result, he has many a similiar story and I don't think it has anything to do with age.

One of the stories I remember is, they had a bucket truck set up on a street, coned off, and blocking one lane. So cars traveling both directions were sharing one lane, which wasn't a problem since it was a lightly traveled side street, until an SC showed up.

This 30ish woman in a nissan sentra refused to go around. She stayed behind the bucket truck and just laid on the horn. Finally one of the guys working with my friend went to see what her problem was. It turns out that she didn't feel that she should have to go around. She wanted them to break down their equipment and move the truck, so could drive down THAT lane on the road. Of course, they laughed at her. and told her drive around, like all of the sane people. Of course, this woman didn't, she just sat there blowing the horn and being ignored, until the police showed up.

After speaking with the woman and my friend (who they were familiar with from working with him in the past), they ticketed the woman for disturbing the peace.

She was livid. Oh well, the police can't be having the fine upper crust residents of Cambridge being disturbed by the unnecessary honking of a horn. It makes it hard to hear the chainsaws.

It turned out that one of the residents of the street had noticed what was going on with the mad honker and had called the police. He told my friend that he found the woman to be incredibly selfish for doing what she did and didn't feel bad that the cop ticketed her.
              Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

Quoth LifeCarnie View Post
                My friend is an arborist whose employer does a bunch of work for the city of Cambridge, Massachusetts.
                Now that it's spooky - My story was from Cambridge, U.k
                Last edited by Broomjockey; 03-11-2008, 12:19 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag
                All of these things the worker has done
                From tilling the fields to carrying the gun
                We've been yoked to the plough since time first began
                And always expected to carry the can.

Comment

She deserved the ticket .. what a bitch!
                  "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Man, to have been able to drop it on his car.......
                    ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

entitlement drones...

"Sure, go for it..." (minutes later) *CRASH!*

http://youtube.com/results?search_qu...e+falls+on+car
                      HI, I'M NEW TO ALL OF THIS wave of approval ™©®

Comment

Selfish, lazy screwed up SC's just what you want when you are doing dangerous work.
                        Am I sad because I am looking forward to the day when the people I will be dealing with will no longer be able to talk back?

Comment

Thank god the idiot didn't just pull in there (though we may all have been a bit better if he had).
                          "Chaos in the midst of chaos isn't funny, but chaos in the midst of order is." - Steve Martin

Comment

Doesn't anyone think of that poor car?
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Kind of funny, there's a bit of gag around campus these days.
                              Q: "How do you get a building named after you?"
                              A: "Give a looot of money. Or work here for 50 years."

Reason is that one of the grounds people, an arborist (& thus why I thought of this during this thread) has worked here for 50 years & had a building named after him a couple years ago.

When they're doing roof work, tree work, whatever, they have it all marked out with cones & tape. Despite the absolutely crappy parking most people just cuss a bit & move on. They don't do crap like that guy in the OP. Geeez.
                              I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Working...
                              X