This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This better be the last time

i dont know if the store can handle a fourth brett favre issue. sportsman of the year: sold out of 300 copies in 20 minutes. after the seattle game: sold out of 500 copies in 15 minutes. retirement issue: sold out of 600 copies in 30 minutes, and people didnt even know we had em. we got those on saturday so it was a surprise and then of course the news broke on all the local channels that we had gotten some in. yesterday was terrible.

"do you have the--"
    "no."
    "can i res--"
    "no."
    "when are--"
    "between 9 and noon."
    "is there a--"
    "no."

i personally took about 30 calls like that. and then we've got people accusing us of a) price gouging (its 7.99 everywhere, asshole.) or b) hiding them.

like my manager said: he poops and farts like the rest of us.
    Kim: She's got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

I'd like to exercise my constitutional right to not give a fuck.

$7.99 and they're complaining?
    Send the complainers over to Canada where books are far higher.
    Had I not got the books I recently bought on sale I would have spent over $150. On four books.
    Pfft. $7.99. Spoiled brats.

Comment

Ummm, whats so special about these books?
      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
        Didn't you know? Any Brett Favre related merchandise is now a rare and valuable collectors item.

Comment

Who now?

This particular trend has yet to cross the pond...
          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

He's some football guy. Apparently he broke a lot of records, has magical powers, cured cancer, and saved the world from an alien invasion. He retired kind of suddenly and everybody freaked out.

I don't know though...I think football's a silly sport.
            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

My store put a limit of 6 copies per person on those magazines.

Naturally this is causing people to complain. "I can only buy 6? The grocery store across the street didn't have a limit on theirs!"

Yeah, and they sold out in one day. You gonna buy any or not?
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

If they paid teachers and retail workers and manuel laborers and food service workers and other people that deserve the money a lot more as much as they pay professional sports players (who, in my opnion, DON'T deserve that much money), I'd shit myself dead. Okay, okay, I'll stop that rant right there.

It's Nascar stuff in my hometown that people go nuts over, especially since Dale Earnhardt was born in the area or something like that (next town over, they have the statue of him up.) If it's not one thing people are losing their minds over, it's another.
                Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

Pretty much every local channel on Thursday morning at 11:30 was featuring Brett Favre and his interview. It's pathetic.

Everyone on Facebook was joining or creating groups dedicated to him or begging him to stay.

I must say, he's a positive influence on young men and probably one of the only good sportsmen in the NFL (considering most athletes these days are arrogant and do many illegal things outside of work)...but still.....idol worship is one of the devil's play things.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth marty View Post
                    If they paid teachers and retail workers and manuel laborers and food service workers and other people that deserve the money a lot more as much as they pay professional sports players (who, in my opnion, DON'T deserve that much money), I'd shit myself dead. Okay, okay, I'll stop that rant right there.
                    Ugh I SO agree.
                    Or how about paying the people who save lives even HALF what someone with Bret Favre's salary is? I need to be a professional athlete. I can sit on a bench all year, not do a damn thing, and still bank a million.

Athletes don't deserve a fraction of what they make. It's a game. A sport. Something children do to pass time and enjoy fresh air.

But hey, at least golfers have to actually do well to earn their millions.

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                      (considering most athletes these days are arrogant and do many illegal things outside of work)
                      Nah, never. No one in the NFL ever does anything wrong.

*Looks up Pacman Jones and Michael Vick*

never mind. :-p
                      Answers are easy...it is asking the right questions which is hard.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                        obviously you are not in the Green Bay area. if you were, you would be shot, stabbed, blown up, tourchered, tarred and feathered, your dog and cat would be violated, your house would be burnt in effigy and your car would be then be violated and then they would get really really nasty and mean. and I say these things not really with all that much scarcasim. think of rabid sococer fans in other parts of the world and the few holligans who start fights and riots. that describes most of the area here -- a whole town.

I am a transplant here so I do not bleed green and gold (LOL just a little as I like to say as the Packers go so does my pay try getting a tip from a pissed off drunk depressed Packer fan after a horrible loss)

Plus the Packers are one of the American football teams that has WORLD WIDE recoginition mostly myth and legend some guy from Austrailia quit (I think) his job and MOVED his family up to Green Bay for the season and managed to get tickets to all of the home games
                        Last edited by Racket_Man; 03-11-2008, 02:10 PM.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                          obviously you are not in the Green Bay area. if you were, you would be shot, stabbed, blown up, tourchered, tarred and feathered, your dog and cat would be violated, your house would be burnt in effigy and your car would be then be violated and then they would get really really nasty and mean. and I say these things not really with all that much scarcasim. think of rabid sococer fans in other parts of the world and the few holligans who start fights and riots. that describes most of the area here -- a whole town.
                          Not just the Green Bay area. Try most of WI.

UGH. Let me say this: I hate football. I hate the Packers. I hate BF. I ONLY LIKE BASEBALL.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Brand new here, but this seemed like a good post to respond to.
                            I am a Wisconsin native, who now lives in Kansas, and as someone earlier alluded to....I do bleed green and gold.
                            I do believe pro athletes are overpaid (Brett's salary this season was to be a little over $10,000,000).
                            Brett has meant a lot to not just Packer fans, but all football fans though. His retirement wasn't all that unexpected. He had been working up to it for a few seasons.
                            BTW...the fan moving from Australia....not myth......and i got my copy (courtesy of my brother in Milwaukee).

Great site guys, hope to contribute some ER stories when I have a bit more time.
                            Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.---Bullet Tooth Tony

Comment

Racket Man, my coworker is from Wisconsin and has a bumper sticker in his cubicle that says "And on the eighth day God created the Packers."

He came over to my desk yesterday to tell me that Oprah's latest tome (Eckhardt Tolle's A New Earth) had fallen from the number 1 spot on the B&N non-fiction bestsellers, in favor of the upcoming Brett Favre: The Tribute, which is available for pre-order and does not even come out until April 15th.

I am so glad I am not working in the store for this! (Sorry, B&NGoddess...)
                              Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 03-12-2008, 02:41 AM.
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X