This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have arrived

I am standing at work right now talking to a customer who has been chewing my ear off about photography gear, without any intention to buy anything, a typical occurrence at my job. I really just typed in "Customers Suck" on Google while half-listening to him.

Also I have a bum foot today, really not in the mood.

I am a 29 y/o male, wedding photographer, life-long underachiever who has been stuck working at a camera retail store for 7 years in New Jersey. If that doesn't scare you, maybe some of my posts in the future will.

Looking forward to venting with all of you and sharing some of my own tales. I will be leaving this job in 2 years, but the 7 past years have left me with a treasure chest of stories... Many with the theme of "How did I keep my job after doing this?"

Also after I leave retail, I am sure I will have stories of brides and photo clients to gripe about here as well.

-Mike

Welcome aboard! We're friendly types 'round here. Feel free to PM me or another mod if you have any questions!
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Dude, up until you said NJ I figured you were my very good friend who moved up to OR a few years back.

Though come to think of it, he has been working in camera stores for more than 7 years so far...

Welcome aboard anyway!
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth CameraStore View Post
        Also I have a bum foot today, really not in the mood.
        By "bum foot", do you mean that you've been tempted to put your foot up the customer's ass?

I am a 29 y/o male, wedding photographer
        Ever had a guest try to offer advice on a photo setup? I've been that guest. Situation was the photographer was taking photos of various combinations of wedding party members, and had them sitting on a decorative garden bench. Unfortunately the bench had deteriorated somewhat, and the subjects had to brace their legs to keep it from falling over (was visible that something was up). I suggested that if the bench were sat on a couple of the rental chairs, that would keep it from falling over, and the chairs wouldn't be visible behind the women's skirts. Photographer thought it over for a couple seconds then told his assistant to grab a couple chairs.

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
        Dude, up until you said NJ I figured you were my very good friend who moved up to OR a few years back.
        NJ, OR, same thing - can't pump your own gas in either state.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

7 past years have left me with a treasure chest of stories... Many with the theme of "How did I keep my job after doing this?"
          Sounds good already....We're waiting
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post

Though come to think of it, he has been working in camera stores for more than 7 years so far...

Welcome aboard anyway!
            It's risky business

Thanks!

Comment

Oh dear. You've just described the typical waft we get here on a daily basis. I feel your pain. While I don't shoot weddings, I have shot nightclubs, social/corporate events and parties for almost 10 years now, and 6 years of camera related retail. I have a feeling we'll be commiserating quite a bit here. (Strangely, I'm also 29...)

Comment

Working...
              X