This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is all it takes to get along with me

I pretty much hate everybody I work with and the feeling is mutual. It's not an intentional thing on either end. I give simple, clear orders and expect them to be followed. The guys want to do what they want to do. When this conflicts with the plan I've developed, I get angry and it goes down and back up the line.

I'm a confident guy but I'm still subject to self doubt, I wonder if I'm setting the bar too high. Then I get a day when it works and I'm reminded that it really is just them.

We get to site and as usual, things are not organized. I can't get a hold of the contact or anyone who knows what is going on. Rather than pestering me with constant questioning, my CW understands that I don't know what to do, so together we patiently wait and exchange conversation. That hurdle is crossed and we begin the offload of the truck. I suggest a hand bomb to offload things, he says we should use the tailgate. I take a second look at things and realize that he's right. I'm not against guys making suggestions, it's when they go against my orders that I have a problem.

I see that he's loading something wrong. A minor detail that only a trained eye would spot, but it could have damaged the product. I explain things and get it corrected. I don't get any attitude, instead I get a thanks.

We get inside and I remind him to keep aisleways clear, to separate garbage, and to just keep things neat and tidy. I don't get any eye rolls or attitude for this reminder (a reminder that I give because if I don't, it won't be done), instead I get a cheerful "yeah, no problem".

I apologetically assign the task of building chairs. I am not happy that a mover is doing these installer duties, but that's the way my company works. We trade gripes about the office making this decision, then he gets to work. No arguing with me personally. This task is completed without a hitch.

While he's doing the chairs, I'm working on the office furniture. I call him over whenever I need help, and there's no problems with that, he actually comes. There's no decision that what he's doing is more important and I can wait.

He finishes up the chairs, then goes straight to taking the garbage to the truck. I finish what I'm doing and help him out. The truck wasn't loaded to my exact specifications of perfection, but it's clear that some thought was put into it, it's set up for an easy offload. The equipment wasn't loaded how I would like, but it was loaded, and it was strapped in and immobile. I get on guys when none of these conditions are met (and apparently, I'm an OCD nazi because of it), but even though things weren't done to OCD nazi specs, it was good enough, nothing for me to complain about.

We had a good time through the day. We joked, we talked, we laughed and the job got done right and on time. He did all I ask of a co-worker, do what I ask, use your head at least a little, and leave the attitude at home.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Well it's nice that you have at least one person who doesn't make life harder for you.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Maybe you can request that you get this guy on your team more often? It would make your life easier, if nothing else, and maybe if your other co-irkers saw how easily things go with you when they just take a few moments to think or be courteous they might start to settle down a little?
      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Back when I first started working at the warehouse all those years ago, I was lucky enough to work with someone like you for the first month before I was set loose on my own.

He sometimes didn't explain why he wanted me to do things the way he did and some of the things he said weren't enforceable, but I listened and I tried and he never got mad if I didn't do things just how he wanted. He would point out the reasons what I did was a bad idea, then tell me that I did a good job getting that far and off we would go.

He really did help me out a LOT. Not only was I a better worker, I was less likely to hurt myself or someone else or product.

I'll bet your co-worker felt the same way about after working with you. It was a good day and he learned things.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
          Back when I first started working at the warehouse all those years ago, I was lucky enough to work with someone like you for the first month before I was set loose on my own.
          Thank you. I sincerely appreciate the compliment. I just wish more of me CW's could see it that way. I'm not being an asshole, I'm not being an OCD nazi, there are no nefarious intentions. All I'm out to do is to keep people and product safe, and to get the job done right and hopefully efficiently as well.

Quoth greek_jester View Post
          Maybe you can request that you get this guy on your team more often? It would make your life easier, if nothing else, and maybe if your other co-irkers saw how easily things go with you when they just take a few moments to think or be courteous they might start to settle down a little?
          This guy is particularly good, but typically I don't have a problem with anyone on a day where it's just two of us. I'm able to catch and correct errors before they have a chance to anger me. I'm right there so there is no chance for someone to goof off or go against the plan. Not to say it doesn't happen, and yes I would love to work with this guy all the time, but my CW's typically rate as 'adequate' when we're 1 on 1.

It's on the larger jobs where I've got 12 guys or more. I can't be everywhere at once so there is a lot going on that I can't see. When I do see it and issue corrective orders, and I get attitude returned because 'why' or 'what difference does it make' or 'whatever', that's where the problems start.
          D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
          Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Quoth evilhomer View Post
            It's on the larger jobs where I've got 12 guys or more. I can't be everywhere at once so there is a lot going on that I can't see. When I do see it and issue corrective orders, and I get attitude returned because 'why' or 'what difference does it make' or 'whatever', that's where the problems start.
            Ugh. "Big Man" syndrome then; have to look like a big man in front of your peers by not just buckling down to someone else's orders. I'm afraid you're stuck with it, then.
            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
              Ugh. "Big Man" syndrome then; have to look like a big man in front of your peers by not just buckling down to someone else's orders. I'm afraid you're stuck with it, then.
              I'm not sure if that's what it is. It seems to be an "I know better" and/or "who cares, as long as the job gets done", but no matter how you slice it, yeah, I'm stuck with it.
              D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Comment

"who cares, as long as the job gets done"
                The customer, last I checked. A smart one would inspect the results himself and then refuse to pay for any specific job components that were done incorrectly (at least until they were fixed) *and* demand that the guy who did it wrong be sent back with one of YOUR bosses, to watch him and make him do it right this time, at no extra charge. If your bosses were smart, they would realize that on-the-job fuck-ups (meaning, both badly-done work and the goldbricks doing it) COST THEM MONEY!
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth evilhomer View Post
                  Urg, like some sort of "cool kids" peer pressure. Caring and trying aren't cool, and nobody wants to be seen as teacher's pet, so they collectively slack off. Hate that.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
                  X