X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome back...

Biggest "I'm going somewhere else" complaints are
    1) the fact that we charge closing costs on our home equity products
    2) the rate, particularly for high loan-to-value loans where the rate shoots up to balance the risk of a potential lack of equity in the house if there is any sort of downturn in the market of that neighborhood

Customer the first
    Me: The closing costs are estimated to be $405, contingent on there being no unexpected issues with the appraisal or title search. This covers the appraisal, title search, flood determination and recording costs.
    SC: I'm not willing to pay more than $300
    Me: Unfortunately the services that we will need to have done in processing your Home Equity add up to this amount.
    SC: No. I was told my costs wouldn't be more than $300
    Me: The only quote in the initial disclosures is the maximum possible $750. Loan officers cannot give the more exact estimate as they do not determine what exact services are required. That is part of the reason I have reached out to you directly, to go over this. If you would like to think about it, I can either go over the other details with you by phone or send you an email so you have the basics in writing. In the meanwhile, I can keep your application on hold for 30 days.
    SC: I'm going to Other Bank. They don't charge closing costs.
    Me: [knowing that Other Bank has an annual fee and charges a higher rate for requests under $100,000] I will definitely keep your application on hold for you then. Please remember to inquire about their annual fees and the rate for your request amount so you have an accurate comparison.

Customer the second
    SC: Why is my rate 7%? Your website says 5.5%!
    Me: The website states the lowest possible rates for each home equity product, contingent on credit score and loan-to-value. In order to get a home equity in the lower rate category, we would need your request and your first mortgage balance combined to be under 85% of the appraised value of your home. While I do not yet have an appraised valuation, your stated value of $x makes your estimated loan-to-value 97%, which means 7%, variable, is the lowest rate available for the Home equity line of credit.
    SC: Other bank will get me a rate of 5.5%
    Me: [knowing that Other Bank does not offer home equity products over 90% loan-to-value] I can definitely keep your application on hold over the next 30 days while you explore other options.

And yes, both customers came back to do the loan with me. As did the gentleman mad about the costs being $150 (literally the cheapest I am able to offer.)

So compare elsewhere. I'll wait.

And yes, they don't always come back. But I have an advantage here. See, my department is chronically short staffed, and I have the best loan numbers of those here. I literally do not care if you cancel your application. In fact, I'd rather you do so during this upfront call than wasting my time and cancelling at the end. The costs are the costs and the rate is the rate.

Repair costs

Use to get this all the time when we quoted expected repair costs.

We would point out that we were quoting the highest expected cost, and it could come out cheap. But some customers would get mad, claiming they were given a lower number elsewhere.

Guess where that lead, too often the same person would come back later for another repair but start complaining how some company ripped them off by inflating the bill. A number of times they stuck to the quoted price but did not do a good repair and we would have to do it all over again at full price. And in a few cases the customer came back complaining the cheaper company went out of business in the middle of their repair.

I wonder why?

Comment

Similar but different

I always get people wanting the cheapest parts we carry because they are "getting ready to sell it anyway" or "sending it to auction". And in a couple of months they are back getting more parts for that same car.

Also I get, "they told me $X on the phone". Well I don't know who you talked to or what you told them but based on the info you told me, which took some doing to get since you didn't know basic info about your car, this is the price for the correct part for your car.
      Last edited by Dave in MD; 02-24-2019, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Quoth Dave in MD View Post
        I always get people wanting the cheapest parts we carry because they are "getting ready to sell it anyway" or "sending it to auction". And in a couple of months they are back getting more parts for that same car.

Also I get, "they told me $X on the phone". Well I don't know who you talked to or what you told them but based on the info you told me, which took some doing to get since you didn't know basic info about your car, this is the price for the correct part for your car.
        It didn't help, when I worked in retail auto parts, that the company would frequently circulate ads with misleading statements like..... BATTERIES $29.99 and up or STARTERS from $19.99. The poor schnook who was looking for a battery or starter from his late model sedan or hatchback was in for some tragic sticker shock. Especially the guy that one time with the Mercedes.

Comment

When I worked in the office of the roofing company I got to hear one side of clearly fun conversations...

"Oh, you got another estimate that was lower, can I ask what the bid was? Wow, that's really good and who was it from, if I might ask? Oh... It was from your neighbor's nephew's friend? Okay!"

My parents usually didn't try to talk people into going with our company, for a few reasons the main one being that if a person was ONLY going on price, we would never win. We were not the cheapest. However, the roofers did a good job, with good material, and if there was a problem we'd fix it without arguing. You have to decide where you want to put your money, and the roof is a good place to put it.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
            It didn't help, when I worked in retail auto parts, that the company would frequently circulate ads with misleading statements like..... BATTERIES $29.99 and up or STARTERS from $19.99. The poor schnook who was looking for a battery or starter from his late model sedan or hatchback was in for some tragic sticker shock. Especially the guy that one time with the Mercedes.

I hate that. My company runs radio ads that say batteries starting at $79.99.
            And while there are some batteries available at that price they are not stocked at my store and only come with a 90 day warranty not the one, two or three year warranty of the batteries we stock.

Comment

I hate that. My company runs radio ads that say batteries starting at $79.99.
              And while there are some batteries available at that price they are not stocked at my store and only come with a 90 day warranty not the one, two or three year warranty of the batteries we stock.
              They are a plastic shell with a tone off recharged AA's all taped together kind of battery.
              Oh you want the hi end glass mat 3year for $80? OK I got this core over here that sometimes takes a charge.
              AkaiKitsune
              Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

If the car truly is being disposed of, I can see why someone wouldn't want to spend money on it. For example, when I disposed of my Mazda in 2007, the last thing I wanted to do was spend more. By then, it had failed its state inspection twice, and was going to need more work to get legal. When I took it to the dealer, to trade it in, the appraiser started bitching about the tires. My reaction? "Look, I know what this car is worth. The tires are worn, but I'm not putting more money into it. You're already low-balling me on the trade..."

But, there are those who will buy the cheapest parts (or service) possible, and then scream when it fails. I know people (hell, I'm related to one), who buy cheap oil and filters...and then can't understand why their engines fail. Same people buy cheap tools, and then scream when they break.
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

We recently had to have our roof replaced. While cost was important, we didn't choose the cheapest roofer in the area. We checked with the contractor's board, the BBB and the the licensing board and picked the one with the best reputation.

A roof is a 30 year investment, we didn't want to cheap out now and pay lots later. Our work was done on time, clean up was very good, the parts were good quality (we did our research on roofing materials as well) and the 1 very minor problem (leak over the front deck) was fixed the day after it was found and reported.

Around the same time, a co-worker had her roof done by a friend of a friend. Her roof was much cheaper than mine for about the same area. Her roof leaks, she can't use her back porch in the rain, she had to replace 2 tires because of roofing nail damage and now, a year later, the friend has left town, she doesn't know where to find the friend of the friend, she is out thousands of dollars and needs a new roof.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                    A roof is a 30 year investment, we didn't want to cheap out now and pay lots later.
                    My BIL (in the roofing business) complained about getting under bid by such corner cutters.
                    At my mega-tax chain I deal with such hagglers: Yes, I can take out that form, but you will be on the hook for about $10k. That isn't worth the $50 savings in prep fees, IMO.
                    Last edited by taxguykarl; 03-05-2019, 09:07 PM.
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                      If the car truly is being disposed of, I can see why someone wouldn't want to spend money on it. For example, when I disposed of my Mazda in 2007, the last thing I wanted to do was spend more. By then, it had failed its state inspection twice, and was going to need more work to get legal. When I took it to the dealer, to trade it in, the appraiser started bitching about the tires. My reaction? "Look, I know what this car is worth. The tires are worn, but I'm not putting more money into it. You're already low-balling me on the trade..."

But, there are those who will buy the cheapest parts (or service) possible, and then scream when it fails. I know people (hell, I'm related to one), who buy cheap oil and filters...and then can't understand why their engines fail. Same people buy cheap tools, and then scream when they break.
                      I traded in my rusted out, 198K suburban, guy asked me what I wanted- I said not to be charged for illegal dumping. Maybe a soda? Then they start pissing and moaning.
                      Dude the fact it didn't come apart like the Bluesmobile when I parked it is beyond me, just give me something...if it was good I'd still be driving it. Funny thing is I got more then I figured I would.
                      Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; 03-04-2019, 12:50 PM.
                      AkaiKitsune
                      Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

When I traded in my old 1992 Chevrolet Corsica back in 2009, I told the dealer it was worth about $50, which was how much it cost them to tow it off the lot because it died on them the very next day.
                        "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

The ones I deal with that drive me nuts are the realtors who make a sale of a 6 million dollar house, charge $180,000.00 agent commission and then ask US if we can cut their client a deal on our $8,000.00 escrow fee.
                          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
                            Dude the fact it didn't come apart like the Bluesmobile when I parked it is beyond me, just give me something...if it was good I'd still be driving it.
                            My dad had the opposite happen. He was trading in his shitbox '88 Taurus on a newer Saturn. You name it, it was broken on the Taurus. Broken rear springs, inoperative dashboard (remember those digital gauges?), rusted-out top on the fuel tank, peeling or bleached out silver paint, and a lot of rust. Who knows how many times that piece of crap had circled the planet... Anyway, after the dealer had come up with a number, he was told to keep driving it, as his new car wasn't ready yet. A few days later, he was down there dropping off the Taurus. He pulled up, got out, closed the door...and the door fell off onto the pavement Dealer tried to weasel out of it, but he threatened to take his business elsewhere if they did.
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Your dad drove the Bluesmobile?
                              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                              X