This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoplifter ingenuity

Some time ago I wrote about this situation, which offered an unparalleled opportunity for shoplifters.

Apparently we have managed to get permission from the makers of the pillows to alter the setup somewhat, so nobody is invisible anymore in that aisle.

But of course that doesn't stop the problem.

A coworker walked up to the Customer Service desk today clutching a handful of cardboard and plastic. She'd discovered it jammed at the back of a shelf, after trying to straighten out the items on said shelf and wondering why they didn't seem to want to "settle."

So what expensive item were the thieves stealing this time?

Light bulbs.

Okay, fancy-looking lightbulbs but still ...

This is just part of the ongoing joke in this store in terms of the total lack of security -- we have no security guards, no electronic security, and we do not offend patrons by asking to check their bags or backpacks on the way out ... or even asking them to leave said items at the front counter, which a competitor DOES.

Mind you, of course, they DO check any such items when it's staff leaving for the day ...
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Of course they check the staff. Shrinkage is a huge issue!

Customers wouldn't steal or lie, would they? Its only the staff that does that.

Comment

Well, that is the official policy at Grumbel's.

Example 1

Example 2

Assuming those pages actually load properly, which they weren't doing for me.

ETA: Turns out those are Sunday strips which don't seem to be loading, although they did when I first looked for them.
      Last edited by Ironclad Alibi; 03-11-2019, 02:44 PM. Reason: Added comment.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
        Assuming those pages actually load properly, which they weren't doing for me.
        You might be able to see those strips by going to http://retailcomic.com/comic_tag/shoplifter/page/7/ and http://retailcomic.com/comic_tag/shoplifter/page/6/ .

Comment

Thanks. That's how I found them in the first place.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Reminds me of my former PT job. Fairly pricy ladies' clothing store. NO security whatsoever. no tags, no sensors, nada, nothing. and the way the store was laid out, PLUS the way we sometimes were told by corporate to display items, well, we got tons stolen. Like the table JUST inside the one door, where they wanted the cashmere sweaters displayed. Yup. and since it was low, and registers were at the back, no way at all to see if anyone grabbed one or two, OR a bunch and walked out.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
              Of course they check the staff. Shrinkage is a huge issue!

Customers wouldn't steal or lie, would they? Its only the staff that does that.
              I can relate.....I remember when I first started at Macy's, and during training, the HR lady told us that the majority of shrinkage was staff-related. (Admittedly though, we DID have some sticky-fingered employees)

Comment

First day working at Dollar General I was told that all employees and all vendors are nothing but crooks

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post
                  First day working at Dollar General I was told that all employees and all vendors are nothing but crooks
                  Well, thanks for the warm welcome ...
                  Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
                    I can relate.....I remember when I first started at Macy's, and during training, the HR lady told us that the majority of shrinkage was staff-related. (Admittedly though, we DID have some sticky-fingered employees)
                    no the majority of CAUGHT shrinkage is staff, everyone else walks away.

shit at A-z autoparts, You CANNOT stop a shoplifter no matter what.
                    You can confront an employee.
                    AkaiKitsune
                    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Working...
                    X