This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bakers! Specifically PIE

Okay so I have been trying to make little pies to freeze and send to someone special. And I'm having a hell of a time with it too.

I'm currently using this mold, LINK, which is adorable, has a self made steam vent, and is supposedly easy to use. Note the supposedly part.

SO...I need more pie crust ideas and filling ideas. I want to try starting a blog on this where I can put together a list of my failures as well as a list of my accomplishments. The someone special has agreed to be my test subject with my evil horrible (okay not all of them are evil and horrible...some are awesome) coworkers have been getting the, not even good enough to send to him, pies. Very very much have not been good...if they haven't had my good stuff I think a couple would believe I don't know how to boil water.

I've been using a basic pie recipe; flour, lard, ice water. But for some reason it falls apart to easily. So I went and got a boxed pie crust...horrible stuff to me, don't know why, but I wanted to see if it would fair any better. It did NOT. I know the dough is cold enough...like currently cause I was a idiot my house is 47 degrees F. Long story, not getting into it, thanks.

So help and ideas would be appreciated...thanks.

The pie crust my family uses is from a 1920-something Betty Crocker cookbook and is awesome.

It apparently hasn't changed... Pie Crust Recipe at Betty Crocker

If it falls apart, it's likely been overworked. I could never get the hang of crust, myself, but I do know that if you much about with it for too long, it gets nearly impossible to make work.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Personally, I find that an all-butter crust works (and tastes) better than an all-lard, all-shortening, or lard/butter shortening/butter crust. Try taking a look at Alton Brown's directions on pie crust (I believe there's a video over at the Food Network website), he does a great job of explaining how to make it work. Also, try switching out the water and using vodka instead--sounds weird, I know, but works wonders. Also, are you letting the dough rest properly after mixing it together? The the flour really needs this time to be properly hydrated so that the right amount of gluten activates, giving the dough structural integrity. Oh, and make sure to add in a good pinch of salt with the flour. Won't make the dough salty.
      Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Another idea for shipping the pies is to put them into a jar. It is time consuming doing the jar (I have yet to find an easy way to line them with the dough) but the pies are good and they are safe to travel.

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/09/...-pie-in-a-jar/

Comment

I've had really good luck with some of Ben Starr's recipes. DYING to try this pie. http://benstarr.com/recipes/pumpkin-bourbon-pecan-pie/ Pumpkin Bourbon Pecan Pie. YES.
          "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

kukla beat me to it. It was the first thing I thought of.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Overworking a crust usually makes it tough, not fall apart. So can putting too much flour on the rolling surface or the rolling pin (I avoid that problem by using wax paper).

You may not be putting enough water into it. It's a tricky thing, the amount of water you use to make the pastry.

I put the water in a sprinkle at a time and don't starting working it until it holds together.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                I put the water in a sprinkle at a time and don't starting working it until it holds together.
                To add to this, a spray bottle with some ice water is perfect for adding small amounts at a time at lower temperatures so the fat doesn't melt.
                Last edited by Ree; 12-07-2012, 10:48 PM. Reason: Edited quote of whole post
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth kukla View Post
                  Another idea for shipping the pies is to put them into a jar.[/url]
                  Way to expensive but a good idea for those not being sent.

Comment

One that I've heard mentioned a lot (never tried it myself - don't make pastry dough) is to use vodka instead of water. The easiest way to get into trouble with pastry dough is to develop the gluten, which takes both water and working it. Alcohol will help make the dough workable, but doesn't react with flour to develop the gluten, and it evaporates when the pie is baked. By using vodka, you can add more liquid than if you were using water, and still get the same results.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X