This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I do? Christmas lights...

My neighborhood has a lot of pretty and interesting and fun combination of lights; not a lot of people do it but there are a few. There's a mix of religions that can be seen as well and it's fun to look around.
    One neighbor who lives a few houses away from me go SUPER over the top every year with their christmas ornaments and halloween ornaments.
    It's RIDICULOUSLY over crowded on their lawn that I'm just worried it's a fire hazard.

It's not a, oh they've got ten or twenty things; I swear it's around 30 - 40 things and no, I'm not counting decorative lights. I'm counting those full blown up, light up figurines. I think there's things ranging from a snowglobe to baby Jesus and the three sheperds/astronomers/and mary and joseph leaning over him.

They're not just little ones too, I think the smallest one is around 2 feet tall and the tallest is around 5 ft ish? 6 fit? Not sure, didn't walk too close to them. But theres barely over a foot of space between each one.

Like I said, I'm worried it's a fire hazard.

Besides approaching them - which is something I can't do due to a variety of factors- can I call some local authorities about it?

Does it look anything like this?

(Click on the picture to expand it.)

It probably isn't a fire hazard. To run a display that big, you can't wire it haphazardly. If you do it Griswold style, you'll be tripping breakers. Also, when you invest that much money, you don't want to put your investment at risk.

I would suggest you go down to the house and ask about the display. Most of us like to brag. Ask how he/she lights it all up without blowing the electrical system. Could be a good education.

Stop by Planet Christmas to learn more.

And before you ask, this is not mine. I don't do blow molds. I have a 28' Christmas tree with over 20,000 lights. You can see last years display here.
    Last edited by Ree; 12-06-2012, 10:36 AM. Reason: Resized image
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

You can place a call to the non-emergency line for your local fire department and just mention it to them. They don't need to know where you are, just that it's visible and you're worried.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

that looks as grand as a couple of houses in my town. The guy does up his whole yard with lights, blow-ups, old blownware statues, etc. people come from literally miles around to walk around it. He changes things up from year to year.

And the good thing is is it is in my delivery area so I get to driver by it all the time.
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

There is literally an entire town down here that does this.

http://www.lightsoflobethal.com.au/home

The town of Lobethal will make up a massive display every year in December which is due to be switched on this weekend.
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

we have some farms that put up giant displays. sometime i'm going to have to drive over during the night to get a picture of it.

right now though i just have a string of solar lights up. and i still have some halloween stuff up too cos im lazy

Comment

Can't be any worse than my supervisor's neighbor, who has obnoxiously haphazard, gaudy light displays every year, plugs all the lights into indoor extension cords, and then wraps the plugs in tin foil.

How this has not yet caused a spectacular fire is astounding. Supervisor doesn't think this neighbor's family tree forks, FWIW.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I remember seeing a picture of a house that was done up completely over the top. The neighbor right next store used a few strings and spelt out "Ditto" with an arrow pointing to the glowing house.

Comment

Like this? http://orlando.about.com/b/2010/12/1...orlando-10.htm
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Some places do such a beautiful job. There's a house back home that decorates every year. They're a small farm so going out there (they charge $5 for entry to pay for the electricity and supply hot cider and hot chocolate to everyone that comes on property for the full month its open) is fun. They even have a petting zoo for the kids.

However doing it in the city is something else. That can be a serious safety hazard. You should let the fire department know. The city may shut them down.

Comment

I used to know an electrician who worked with the fire department all the time. He had an emergency beacon he was entitled to stick on his truck when he was racing to a fire - because the firefighters couldn't work on some types of fire until the electricity had been shut off.

My point is: modern firefighters either include an electrician on their team, or have electricians who work with them. Make a call to the non-emergency fire department for your part of town; they can send a sparky out to make sure it's safe.

And depending on the local laws, the homeowner may well be required to let the sparky investigate it. It's an issue of civil safety not just for them, but for their neighbours!
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Okay, will do! non emergency line... thank you!!

Comment

Working...
                        X