This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lesson in Knives.

So a while back I decided to buy a knife. Not a huge deal. I have plenty of knives. I have, for example, not one, not two, but THREE different sets of butcher block knives, plus two santoku knives, and a others for kitchen use. That's in addition to my dagger and my butterfly knife.

Not one of which would be any use at work, which is what I wanted a knife for. Well work, and just to have; rule #9, after all, is never go anywhere without a knife. But staying specific for work, I open a lot of boxes (beer, liquor, wine, other stuff) and have various uses for a knife at work. And while the knife that comes on a wine key can get most of these accomplished pretty well, it's not always the best.

So I went about getting a knife. And did so rather stupidly. Rather than ask anyone who knew anything about knives (like my Amazon manager that ALWAYS has a knife, which is not surprising as she is also a firefighter), I just figured I'd find one.

And find one I did. After a lovely dinner out with friends, we wandered into one of the downtown tourist-type shops that had t-shirts, sunglasses, and knives. Perfect place to buy a knife, right? After all, it's not like their ninja sword sets that they have are always in terrible condition. Oh, wait....they are. And I knew this.

And yet I still plunked down $37 on this lock blade pocket knife there. An MTech, which is supposed to be a good brand. And I don't know if it was the brand or the shop that had stocked it, but this knife was NOT good. It quickly got very loose, and actually briefly came apart, and I found myself tightening the one screw back in on a weekly or biweekly basis. And then one day when I didn't do that soon enough, the thing fell apart again....and this time I somehow managed to lose the screw. Well, crap. Hey, it could have been worse...the first knife in that shop that had caught my eye had been $180, which I thought a bit steep for a knife that I was going to use primarily to open boxes. Good thing I didn't buy that knife there, as who knows what would have happened. (I still don't know if it was the manufacturer or the shop, though, as MTech does have a good reputation, but my friend bought a knife that same night at that same shop and has had no problems with it.)

But by this point I HAD asked my manager about knives, and she had pointed me in the direction of a brand she likes that she has had no problem with. And I did a bit of research online, but didn't get around to buying one before the MTech decided to retire itself by falling apart. So for a couple weeks I used my butterfly knife at work, but that was a bit unwieldy, especially when it came open in my pocket unexpectedly.

And then a few weeks ago when I was in the local Advanced Auto buying a new sun blocker for my truck's windshield, on a whim I asked them if they had knives. They did. And I picked up a Northwest Trail lock blade pocket knife (same basic idea and function as the MTech, down to virtually identical belt clips) for about 10 bucks. And haven't had a problem with it yet. It's sharp, it works well, it doesn't fall apart, no bits have come loose, and overall, I am pretty happy.

Moral of the story? I guess it's to buy something at a place where they sell to people who are looking to do a job rather than a place that sells to people who are looking for a souvenir or a toy.

A more important lesson is to perhaps do some more research. You may have noticed, as I did, that the MTech knife I paid $37 for at a crappy little Duval Street tourist shop would have cost me only six bucks online. And yes, that's the very same knife. Which still isn't worth six bucks. At least, not the one I had.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

And another lesson: just because it's more expensive, doesn't mean that it'll last longer.

Case in point: my boyfriend currently has 2 computer chairs in his bedroom. One was more expensive than the other, however the more expensive one is bigger and fabric covered. The other one is smaller and leather. (You know how in movies, you get the CEO or some big-shot sitting in one of those chairs who might turn around in them? Well his bigger chair is EXACTLY like that).

Guess which one broke first? If you guessed the fabric covered one, you are right.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

My roommate bought a more expensive can opener that didn't do shit. The two dollar one works fantastically.

Comment

Another great example of this is my favorite wine, which is a Spanish red. Spanish reds are relatively cheap in this country, because America hasn't really "discovered" Spanish wines the way they have the wines of Australia, New Zealand, Chile, and Argentina. My favorite wine, the base crianza version is only about $14, with the Reserva going for about $25, and the Gran Reserva about $35. That is relatively cheap, but I will put up the Crianza against a lot of "better," more expensive wines, and I'll put the Gran Reserva up against almost any wine. Yeah...it's that freakin' good.

I have yet to see if my new (cheaper) knife will pass the test of time, but so far it looks pretty good, especially next to my first (more expensive and obviously way overpriced) knife, which started to go to shit almost immediately.

Still A Customer."

Comment

I'd put good money that the "MTech" one you had was an overpriced counterfeit one.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Never heard of MTech. But I swear by my SpyderCo. I carry it everywhere and totally love it. I can also recommend Benchmade, but they are very expensive and CRKT. I like their stuff too. I collect and Carry different types and brands for different things. Another really good brand is SOG.

Comment

Gerber all the way
              And unto the I offer the 11th commandment of god, that whomsover calleth "Shotgun" shall heretofore and forever lay claim to that seat......until you have to pee!!-your friendly neighborhood Crucible

Comment

I have the same problem with power tools. I break the good stuff yet the el cheapo stuff runs forever for me. Dad is the opposite. He still can't get over me blowing up a $400 circular saw in under 2 hours yet the $70 one I bought to replace it is still going 2 years later.

Thankfully this quirk also applies to drill bits and saw blades, damn they can get expensive.

Comment

Quoth Shpepper View Post
                  I swear by my SpyderCo.
                  Pretty much what my Amazon manager told me when I asked her about knives, and was actually looking at some of them online when I came across the ten dollar knife. And so far, it seems to be working just fine. Of course, if I want or need another knife down the road, from what I've heard, SpyderCo is going to be the way I go.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Moral of the story? I guess it's to buy something at a place where they sell to people who are looking to do a job rather than a place that sells to people who are looking for a souvenir or a toy.
                    Indeed. For a work-knife I'd be more apt to use my gerber multitool, but if I wanted something a little flashier - but well made... I'd probably get a Bawidamann.

Comment

Pepper, fair enough, but honestly, I have no need for a multi-tool. A knife is the only tool I need at work that is not a bartender tool (wine key, "church key" bottle opener, shaker tins, strainer, etc.). And outside of work, the only time I need a tool other than a knife, I have a tool kit for that. And that is rare.

Which is, of course, why I got a knife. It serves my purposes.

Still A Customer."

Comment

One of these puppies is the only knife I will recognize. A piece of Swedish cultural history, as well as a damn fine blade. If you ask to borrow a knife in Sweden, odds are this is what you'll get.
                        The customer is always right, but this is a public house, and you are a guest.

Comment

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=210

This is my girl. I love her to pieces. I was in a store for 3 or 4 hours one day handling all the different knives and I kept coming back to her.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            Pepper, fair enough, but honestly, I have no need for a multi-tool. A knife is the only tool I need at work that is not a bartender tool (wine key, "church key" bottle opener, shaker tins, strainer, etc.). And outside of work, the only time I need a tool other than a knife, I have a tool kit for that. And that is rare.

Which is, of course, why I got a knife. It serves my purposes.
                            to quote you: fair enough

for me the multi-tool is my go-to cos i got use to needing the other tools on it too. but it makes perfect sense to want a knife if that's what you need cos... for the same money you can get an even better knife

Comment

I carry either a Swiss Army knife or a Leatherman tool. Both brands have been well made and reliable, but can be a bit pricey. I had one Swiss Army Knife for the better part of 15 years until I lost it somewhere, and it was a great knife.

I keep one in my car, one in my tool box, and one in my nurses bag I take to work. The pliers are often very, very useful. I don't usually carry a knife on my person unless I'm hiking or boating somewhere, though I used to.
                              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                              X