This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I swear I've been bitten by the crafting bug...:P

So even though I'm at a Waldorf school for placement, I would've thought that I should come out of it intact and all the merrier right?

Well, ever since I did my planning days at that school, I have caught the crafting bug.

First it was quilling. And I am planning on making a thank you card to the school, the class and a bookmark for each of my students.

Then it was needle felting and I am now working on a series of felt squares to make a decorative quilt/wall hanging.

And now I'm trying to teach myself how to knit. I still have a mark from where I stabbed myself with a knitting needle.

Why ME?!
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Quoth fireheart View Post

Why ME?!
    Because you're spifftastic.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Nothing wrong with that. My wife just started quilling and crocheting. Combined with her sewing, embroidery, and scrapbooking, she's not giving me any grief over my miniatures stuff.
      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Welcome to the crafty world! How is learning to knit going? Are you learning with online vids or are you going to a yarn shop?
        Just a warning - once you learn to knit socks you'll be done for. It is beyond addicting.

Comment

I would love to learn to knit. I have crocheting mostly down. Don't look on Esty for patterns, just don't. Also if you keep going with knitting/crocheting I would get bamboo needles. They are pretty cheap on ebay and they are way comfy.

I also want to learn quilling. I keep looking at kits. And I have finally started working on my Warhammer models.
          Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
            Welcome to the crafty world! How is learning to knit going? Are you learning with online vids or are you going to a yarn shop?
            Just a warning - once you learn to knit socks you'll be done for. It is beyond addicting.
            Online vids. There is also a book floating around that explains the various stitches and how to work through them. I'm going to get some better needles and the book next week. I can already cast on and do a very slow knit stitch.

Quoth Elspeth View Post
            I would love to learn to knit. I have crocheting mostly down. Don't look on Esty for patterns, just don't. Also if you keep going with knitting/crocheting I would get bamboo needles. They are pretty cheap on ebay and they are way comfy.

I also want to learn quilling. I keep looking at kits. And I have finally started working on my Warhammer models.
            I currently have a pair of bamboo needles, albeit they're the somewhat larger ones (7mm). I'm going to get a pair of smaller needles next week and practice on those.

As for quilling, I got started by buying a $15 kit from a craft store. The kit had some paper, a tool (which I didn't realise until I got back, opened it and realised I had 2), some glue, a ruler and some very handy patterns. I use a miniature canvas to help me get the sizes I want when I'm gluing my designs together.

Comment

Now I so want to make some quilling 3d critters... >_>

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

A friend of mine owns a pair of the most amazing quilling art pieces I've ever seen. One is a phoenix, and one is a dragon. I tried finding images online, but no luck.
                "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                  And now I'm trying to teach myself how to knit. I still have a mark from where I stabbed myself with a knitting needle.
                  for this(and other crafting skills) I highly recommend the klutz books*, I had never once picked up knitting needles and started knitting a scarf within 10 minutes of opening the book.

*done with both written and visual instructions, and tested by giving the instructions to small children and adults with zero experience.
                  Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                    for this(and other crafting skills) I highly recommend the klutz books*, I had never once picked up knitting needles and started knitting a scarf within 10 minutes of opening the book.

*done with both written and visual instructions, and tested by giving the instructions to small children and adults with zero experience.
                    I did that with crochet and another book (for kids) and the internet. They (Klutz) are good at giving clear descriptions and if you are still confused hit youtube or similar for a video.

I may have to check their book out for knitting I've never been able to pick it up from the other sources I've tried.
                    Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

I'll have a look for the Klutz books, although because I'm Aussie, they may not be available. Patons do some pretty good books though.

Comment

So I bought the Patons books and I helped a class today with their knitting. (I've put my hand up to help with more knitting since it's when I have a free)

Knitting is going fine, although I wound up mis-reading the pattern and I cast on double the number of stitches than what I needed, so I'm going to turn it into a pocket scarf afterwards. (basically fold it and sew it, but sew up patches every so often and leave gaps for me to put things into it )

I wound up also watching cross-stitch. Now I want to make my own cross-stitch. since I have plans on getting an iPad for my birthday (as my birthday present), I thought I might cross-stitch an iPad cover. Unfortunately the blank iPad cross-stitch cases aren't sold in Australia -.-

So I'm going to look around and perhaps adapt a tutorial for an iPad case, but with one section designed for cross stitch.

Comment

Working...
                        X