Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I crazy disagree that Batman could be black. I'm sorry, but his origin story is heavily based around the wealth and privilege of his WASP-y upbringing, which he later turns around to see in others as corruption and evil. While I do not deny that there are wealthy black families out there, that WASP entitled mindset is not widespread enough nor, dare I say, stereotypical enough among them for Bruce Wayne to be convincingly black.

Comment

I could see Jamie Fox as a member of the Bat family, but not THE batman. The Std has a point,the Bruce Wayne charecter is built around this whole WASPY society. Robin could be black, Gordon could be black.
      However, Black actors in typically white roles have been done. this guy aka Benson was Phantom of the Opera for a time.

Comment

And, of course, the villains for the next Batman movie would have to be... Clayface and Maxie Zeus.

Comment

Quoth violiavampyr View Post
          However, Black actors in typically white roles have been done. this guy aka Benson was Phantom of the Opera for a time.
          There was also Michael Clarke Duncan as the Kingpin in Daredevil. Which was probably the best part about that movie.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
            There was also Michael Clarke Duncan as the Kingpin in Daredevil. Which was probably the best part about that movie.
            Michael Clarke Duncan is often the best part of anything he's in.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth violiavampyr View Post
              New Joker (recastings going to have to happen eventually): CG with Mark Hamills voice?
              I think Christopher Eccleston would be a great Joker. That ear-to-ear manic grin of his is perfect for the role!
              Last edited by XCashier; 07-27-2012, 03:36 AM.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier
                I think Christopher Eccleston would be a great Joker. That ear-to-ear manic grin of his is perfect for the role!
                It's hard to imagine The Doctor as a villain. *shrugs*
                Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

I was browsing imdb and came across this list a "cast" list of the rouges gallery. I agree with most of them. bob Hoskins is great in anything. but what about Peter Dinklidge? he's got the acting chops. could it be done without being too comical?
                  I think Eccleston would make a good Joker (see him be scruffy in Heros). Ledger was really good, but I missed the charisma of DCAU and Nickolson Jokers.

Comment

I would love to see Eccleston as the Joker, I think that would be amazing!

Comment

I agree that Eccleston could be great as the Joker...but speaking of large Brits with huge grins and large personalities, I could also see Robert Irvine as The Joker. (Then again, I am not entirely convinced that Robert Irvine is not the long lost brother of Christopher Eccleston....._

Quoth the_std View Post
                      I crazy disagree that Batman could be black. I'm sorry, but his origin story is heavily based around the wealth and privilege of his WASP-y upbringing, which he later turns around to see in others as corruption and evil. While I do not deny that there are wealthy black families out there, that WASP entitled mindset is not widespread enough nor, dare I say, stereotypical enough among them for Bruce Wayne to be convincingly black.
                      And I respectfully disagree with you, my friend. And here are some reasons.

At this point in history, there have been enough wealthy black families, including some very entitled ones, where this would work.

Also, who's to say Black Batman wasn't adopted by a white family? (See also "Different Strokes," and/or "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air," among others for such examples...though in Batman, it would make more sense if he was adopted earlier in life--see also Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt.)

On a similar but different note, who's to say that Black Batman can't be partly black, with one black parent and one white (very wealthy and WASP-y) parent? At this point in history, that really isn't all that odd.

Would the backstory need to be reworked somewhat in any of those? Sure. But the same basic premise would work...and in any Batman reboot, there's always been some reworking of the plot and/or back story anyway.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Too a greater or lesser extent. Since I-don't-know-when his parents always die by an armed gunman after coming out of a movie. The gunman himself has changed several times though.

Comment

Working...
                        X