Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rental Home Inspection - Not what I expected!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rental Home Inspection - Not what I expected!

My boyfriend and I rent a home from his mother. As it's officially a tenant/landlord deal on paper, every 2 years the property must be inspected to make sure the landlord isn't a slumlord. The first year, the backyard was unkempt and overgrown, and nothing was done with the front gardens, and there were no issues with it. We were assured that all the town was checking was electricity and smoke detectors and fire extinguishers.

Today, we had our next inspection. The city guy spent a LONG time looking at the material in our driveway that we're using to build a cover for the ac unit. He looked at the weeds coming up next to the garden and wrote notes about that. He told me the side yard needed to be mowed; that part is actually a garden with clover and wildflower! He checked every smoke detector quick and flicked on the lights and fan in the bathroom. He never asked about the number or location of our fire extinguishers. He hemmed and hawed about our rabbits in the pens outside. He didn't like my gardens which involve a lot of greenery and said we needed to keep-up on weeding. He commented on the mound of dirt and unfinished digging which I told him we were working-on when my boyfriend was hit by a drunk driver. He said we need to keep-up on the weeding and mowing in the backyard; we've had nothing but rain for the last 2-weeks, so I said we would get right on it. I also informed him of the gardens are entirely by my hand, rock by rock and every shovel full of dirt because I can't afford a landscaper. He also informed us that the front of the house needs to be repainted (the paint is obviously cracking, but not showing-through), and that we need to install handrails down the entire length of the front steps - there are rails at the top landing, but not the bottom, and never have been. This was NEVER anything that was gone over in the first inspection, and he seemed more concerned with how the house measured-up cosmetically with the rest of the neighborhood than with whether it was a clean, safe place to live. He ignored me whenever I tried to make small talk, so I gave-up. I don't want my boyfriend's mother to get in trouble, but we also can't afford a bunch of home improvements. We are the only ones who see our back yard, so I can't understand that. Also, technically as tenants, why would we be responsible for installing safety measures? I wonder if we got the right inspection. I called to leave a message because this has me worried.

Also, we've never had any complaints or notices regarding our property.
    Last edited by LillFilly; 07-26-2012, 05:35 PM.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Huh. I've never heard of a rental home being inspected unless there was a rent subsidy involved. Weird.

Comment

Generally speaking, inspections of rental property are for safety issues only.

This was apparently a real estate value related inspection; thus the focus on cosmetic issues such as cracked paint and gardens that don't look like the mowed grass the inspector is expecting.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

It could also be that he was including a 'nuisance inspection' as well, depending on your location. I get that all the time since I'm really bad about mowing the lawn before the city tells me "Do it in 48 hours or we do it and bill you." I've seen the same thing about weeding (if they're really bad) and occasionally other yard things. The railings are usually a safety issue, and I'm kind of surprised that it wasn't brought up earlier.

The only reason they'd be doing a nuisance inspection that I would be aware of is if someone in the neighborhood complained. I don't know your specific situation, so this may not be accurate, but that's usually what I see in my neck of the woods.
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

My city has inspectors do drive throughs of neighborhoods to check for obvious violations. And I'm sure they also schedule for complaints as well.

As for the railing, it's possible that the law changed sometime in the last two years. I have an issue in that windows that were installed in the house I'm in were done without a permit, and in the 7-months between the offer going out and the sale going through, an ordinance was passed that makes every replaced window fail code. >_<

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Yep, time to hit the library and go over copies of the ordinances. These guys can also just moan about their own pet peeves without the force of law. See if you can get a copy of his written report and the town clerk to cite you chapter and verse on the rules.

Comment

Well, here's my two cents based on what happens around here:

I'd bet money that someone complained about the weeds. The town has a right to insist that property owners (or possibly renters in some cases) keep up the property according to town codes, which means lawns mowed, weeds cut down, etc. It doesn't matter if it can't be seen from the street.

The main reason people scream about weeds is that they are convinced that it encourages rodents. Try telling them that rats don't live in weeds. They won't listen.

I am very tempted to plant ornamental grasses to fill up my entire backyard, but I don't have the energy (or the money).
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I want to put in a hardy ground cover with large stepping stones along the far side of my house.

^-.-^

Comment

I want a lawnless garden as well, but we have a very hardy grass in right now.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

We're not having to mow this year- the heat has hit the lawn with all the subtlety of a cinderblock to the skull.

Comment

What we're planning on doing is the backyard in flagstone and clover, adding drainage since we're on a hill (which is why it's so dug-up). We've never gotten any notices or complaints about the property and several others were just as bad with not being able to mow from all the rain. My gardens have LOTS of ornamental grasses between stone walkways, so a passerby could get confused I suppose, but it's obvious the design is deliberate! I think he was treating us differently because we are renters and did not seem to approve of my 'do it ourselves' attitude. Does our property look THAT bad?

Oh, and there's a veggie garden in the back too, across from the rabbit pens.
                      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I like it, in fact my yard looks worse. Nevada summer, sprinkler system broken, 100+ degree heat=only weed are growing. In Alaska we didn't have a yard, it was just various bushes that grew and we took a chainsaw to them once a year. On Ft Richardson we had the housing guy who would come around a bitch it the lawn wasn't mowed, rain be damned. Self help won't "rent" mowers if it's raining.

Comment

They're giving you grief for that? WTF? I didn't get any shit from the city until last weekend when the weeds/saplings, etc next to the house were well over 6 feet high! Granted, your community might have different codes, but still, that sounds like an inspector with a baseball bat shoved up his ass.
                          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

The only think that I think when I see your pics are that I'd be careful about the creepers growing up the wall because of the damage they can do.

I think the complaints about weeds is because he doesn't know what the hell weeds really are, so anything that isn't grass or obvious bush equals "weed."

^-.-^

Comment

Quoth Scorpodael View Post
                              We're not having to mow this year- the heat has hit the lawn with all the subtlety of a cinderblock to the skull.
                              Here, too. My front lawn is mostly brown. And I don't care because I want to dig it up and plant hostas and stuff instead. Can't use the outdoor spigot right now though (it has to be replaced actually) so no watering and no planting for me.

On the up side, the weeds are growng much more slowly this year...
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X