This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the record, the report button isn't about "snitching"
    Last edited by Dave1982; 10-07-2011, 04:03 PM.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
      Report button allowed for non-snitching purposes? Good to know.
      We just can't win, can we? We try to moderate the site as best as we can and uphold the rules? We get called Nazis. We try and make the site a welcoming and safe online haven for members, and we're told that we're not doing enough. We try and get members to use the report button, and we get responses like yours.

We're volunteers. Believe it or not, we actually HAVE lives and jobs and families and hobbies. We don't do this job for the glamour of it. We do it because we love this site, and want to see it going for years to come. But we cannot read each and every single post that is made each day. Well we could, but then we'd lose our jobs - and quite frankly, I like being able to pay rent and get food.

It's not a big deal to press a bloody button and say "I think this topic is better suited for fratching" or "This is a duplicate" or "I LOVE me some furry moobs".
      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

rads: I don't think it was meant the way you read it, honestly.

I'm a weirdo, I know, but even I thought that "report" was meant for "problem posts" (fratching material, calling others out, etc). I even thought that was the sort of language visible in the report screen, and was going to say so until I went back and re-read it.

To many people, much of the time, "reporting a post" means "reporting a problem", and problems are usually viewed as what I described above.

Yes, now I know, but even I had a bad understanding, and I've been doing something on/with this site for over 4 years. It's something easy to miss.

At least, that's how I read his reply, myself.

Comment

Pedersen summed up wonderfully what I had orignally intended in my post. Up until now I thought it was to bring rule-breaking posts to the mods' attention.
          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
            Pedersen summed up wonderfully what I had orignally intended in my post. Up until now I thought it was to bring rule-breaking posts to the mods' attention.
            My apologies - I'm a bit thin-skinned at the moment (quitting smoking >.<) , and should not have taken it out on you.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
              rads: I don't think it was meant the way you read it, honestly.
              Quoth Mr Hero View Post
              Pedersen summed up wonderfully...
              Quoth iradney View Post
              My apologies...
              And this is why we're a community. We communicate.

(Also bumble, stumble and flail around. "Behind our efforts, let there be found our efforts.")
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

The moderators here are some of the fairest I've encountered, to be honest. Nobody is going to be liked by everybody, but I think that we have an amazing group of moderators. May help that I gave up being a mod on another forum because of the catch 22..(ie either a nazi or a carebear).
                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I look at it not like a "report" button so much as an "attention" button.

I use it for all sorts of things: posts that better belong on Fratching, posts in the wrong forum, posts where people forgot to edit out names/companies, duplicate posts, etc, etc, etc.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Congrats on quitting smoking, iradney!! I can imagine how tough it must be...

Much love to all of us here...I'm sure nobody means to upset anyone else And thanks to the mods for their hard work! If I had more free time I'd volunteer, should more mods be needed.
                    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                      "I LOVE me some furry moobs".
                      I now have to wonder just how many times this has been said in reports...

And, having been a mod on various forums over the years, I know how tough a job it is and no-one will ever convince me to do it again!
                      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Even if you had the ability, would you really want to?
                        Especially around this bunch.
                        Meeeeoooow.....
                        Still missing you, Plaid

Comment

Count me in on the "report button can be used for other purposes other than problems? Cool!" camp.

So, if I spam a couple posts and say "hey y'all are doing an awesome job, keep up the good work!", it's a legitimate use?
                          Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Quoth Evandril View Post
                            Could you just imagine the turnover if the mods COULD read some of our minds??
                            I can see it now...Someone is writing up a contentious post, and even before they click the Post button, a little window pops up that reads "Fratching....*ahem*"
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              I can see it now...Someone is writing up a contentious post, and even before they click the Post button, a little window pops up that reads "Fratching....*ahem*"
                              Actually no. Someone is writing up a contentious post, and before they click the Post button, flying monkeys swoop in and whack them with the keyboard.

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                                "I LOVE me some furry moobs".
                                Well, I know what my next report is gonna say...
                                "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                                "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                                Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Working...
                                X