Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did they rename it? (with reaction gifs)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did they rename it? (with reaction gifs)

So the other morning I groggily drove my sleepy-ass down to the dropsite to pick up newspapers, which I throw at houses at obscenely early hours every day. I picked up my papers, and I had a stop delivery note for a customer.

The address was [123 Jack St Apt 201]. I was very confused, as having delivered on this route for going on 9 years (and living in the neighborhood for even longer), I had never heard of this Jack St.

So I wondered where this guest was, and wondered if they were stopping their subscription...was there a customer I hadn't been delivering to all this time?

I pulled up the Almighty Google on my phone. As far as Google was concerned, Jack Street didn't exist either. I only had one customer with that building number/apartment number combo, but they were on Smith Street. There was a Jack Ave nearby, but it had no buildings on it, and if there had been any they would have been numbered 4567-ish according to the scheme of the street grid there.

This is what the streets sort of looked like:

So I decided to check it out. I went to Smith Street. I looked at the street sign. Jack Street.

Did I slip into some sort of parallel universe? Are the Berenstain Bears spelled Berenstein again? Did I time-hop somehow?

I flipped back through some old paperwork because this customer, being a college student, regularly started and stopped their subscription based on school breaks. Sure enough, their old papers said Smith Street. New paper said Jack St.

So I think I drove through a dimensional portal at some point, because the street name is not the street name it always has been. So hello, new universe!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I don't know when it changed but I can guess why... 2 Smith streets where confusing

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
      I don't know when it changed but I can guess why... 2 Smith streets where confusing
      I get the why, but they could have TOLD someone. Usually there's a notice in the newspaper or something. You know, like the newspapers I deliver every day...
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Considering the short Smith St. connects only via Jack Ave, if the purpose was to avoid confusion why did they rename it Jack St? They could have chosen a name that wouldn't risk confusion with another road in the area, such as Wesson St.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
          Considering the short Smith St. connects only via Jack Ave, if the purpose was to avoid confusion why did they rename it Jack St? They could have chosen a name that wouldn't risk confusion with another road in the area, such as Wesson St.
          If it's anything like my city, streets are vertical and avenues are horizontal. So it's not really that confusing.

Comment

Quoth Aria View Post
            If it's anything like my city, streets are vertical and avenues are horizontal. So it's not really that confusing.

...except for the poor people plummeting down the vertical streets to their death below...
            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

My hometown had really terrible street names. Since I grew up there I really didn't pay much attention to them, I used landmarks instead. But working in the office and taking addresses from customers forced me to try to learn.

For example, there might be a 30th St, a 30th St NW, a 30th St Ct NW, and a 30th Ave. One or two would be in proximity to each other, then the others would be on the other side of town or possible way out in the sticks, a good 20-30 minute drive. I resorted to asking "in what general area is this address" which sometimes helped because they'd at least say "it's out by the Grange" or "it's north of the hospital." Or sometimes they'd make a snarky comment that I must not know the area well. Actually, I know the area extremely well, but I don't remember where 123rd Ave NW is right off the top of my head, picture the opposite of NYC. Lots of random roads, none of them straight lines, none of which are going in numerical order.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                ...except for the poor people plummeting down the vertical streets to their death below...
                Thank you for tonight's best laugh!
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                X