Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I love the smell of the workplace on fire in the morning!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love the smell of the workplace on fire in the morning!

I pull into the parking lot this morning, and was startled to see a group of 100 or so employees clustered together in the parking lot, and two fire engines parked at the food side entrance. It turns out that a belt in the A/C unit in the bakery, currently under renovation, caught fire. No one was hurt, but the blame is being directed at the overnight construction people that come in. I also understand that there was an enormous amount of water on the floor sometime last night, though no one knows exactly how that one happened. It wouldn't be the first time third shift, either store *or* outside crew, has left a mess or caused a problem, but sheesh, a fire! We're a 24 hour store and we were closed from around 4:30am to 9:30. Setup and remod comes in at 8, so we got to put up the freight that was abandoned when they evacuated the store. It was quite lovely, really, having almost two whole hours to work without customers badgering us, LOL. Everyone was given the option to go home fully excused if they were having breathing issues, but also offered the option to wear a mask or work outside if they really wanted to stay. I think only one person ended up leaving because they started retching.

A news crew pulled up and everything, but it only ended up being a bit piece. And good grief, the stench was unbelievable. Imagine the smell that happens when the belt goes out on your car or vacuum cleaner, only 100x worse and bad enough to fill an entire supercenter. It wasn't too bad so long as we stayed out of receiving.

Oh well, at least it was an interesting day!
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

I remember the bakery along from us having an 'emergency'. Turned out that the small oven they used for getting pasties etc up to temperature had an element that was easier to get to than it should be and some cheese got on there.

Huge plumes of smoke erupted. They wanted to evacuate the store. Most customers complied apart from one who still wanted his bread.

When I found out who it was, I wasn't surprised. Not because he's daft or anything. Polish dude who came over during the war to steal our women and fight the Nazis, and remarkably successful on both fronts. He flew over thirty missions as a rear gunner on a ... Lancaster, I think. A bit of smoke didn't really bother him.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
      ...for getting pasties etc up...
      That's just tits!
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
        That's just tits!
        No, no. Pasties, not pasties.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
        X