This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WRONG NUMBER

This took place a few years ago. I was reminded of it by a similar incident recently.

A little information is needed to understand what was taking place. See, I worked in a town where there were two very similar telephone exchanges that were geographically adjacent. This resulted in a lot of misdialed numbers, because people trying to call a number like 857-1234 might instead dial 859-1234 by accident, or vice-versa.

I’m sure you can see where this is headed.

The woman came into the shop to complain that she’d been getting a large number of misdialed calls intended for us. I listened to her complaint, sympathized with her situation, but told her that I didn’t have control over how others dialed their phones. There was nothing I could realistically do.

She had a suggestion. Unfortunately for her, it wasn’t founded in reality. Her idea was that the shop should change its phone number.

I began to explain why that wasn’t really a viable option, but before I could get out two sentences, she waved her hand in a dismissive gesture and told me she didn’t care about how difficult it was, I should just ‘get it done.’

I had to tell her that I was very sorry, but no.

“You don’t understand,” she said. “I’ve had my number for 20-odd years.”

I replied that it still WAS her number. Nobody was trying to take over her phone number.

“But I keep getting these calls! You have to do something!”

I told her, again, that there was nothing I could do. Misdialed calls have been a fact of life since direct dialing went live, and I don’t see it changing any time soon.

“I already told you how to fix this! Are you thick or something?!” She was getting shrill and bitchy now.

Once more, I told her that I could not change the shop’s phone number. Simple as that.

“You’re going to change your number,” she told me. “You’re going to call the telephone company and do it now.”

Once more, “No.”. I followed this with an invitation to leave, which prompted a string of expletives that could probably curdle milk. Finally, after about four or five minutes of her rage-fueled tirade, she made a threat to sue us, and stalked out

Yeah, sure, lady. I didn’t pick the shop’s number, the telephone company assigned it to us. Even if we changed our number, it wouldn’t do you damn bit of good, because guess what? All the telephone books, ads, fliers, etc. will still be in circulation for quite some time to come. Not to mention I’d have to change all the signage, invoices, business cards, post new ads and so forth. I’m not about to throw thousands of dollars spent on advertising and so forth down the drain, and then spend more to fix something that isn’t my fault. Sometimes life just hands you a bad situation for which there is no real solution, and you have to cope with it the best you can. Deal with it.

I can sooooo sympathize. My phone number is one ONE digit different than the police <sigh>

You can imagine .....

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
      I can sooooo sympathize. My phone number is one ONE digit different than the police <sigh>

You can imagine .....
      My phone number in college was one digit different from one of the local hospitals
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

At the old pizza place, if numbers were too close and someone complained enough, the franchise owner would just offer them a bribe...*ahem* excuse me, and inconvenience fee... to transfer their number to us -- I wanna say the going rate was $3,500 -- Thus, any given store had a) its intended, catchy, easy-to-remember number, b) another 5-7 lines for the extra phones and the FAX, c) anywhere from 2 to 12 purchased numbers that all redirected to us. We almost NEVER got any phone calls from people seeking the prior owners of those numbers.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I used to work with someone whose phone number was a digit removed from the local *big retail store*. They took it in stride, unless someone got nasty about it or just wouldn't understand they dialed the wrong number. One day after telling someone twice they had the wrong number, former coworker lied and told them the item they were looking for was on super special sale that day. I felt bad for whichever employee had to deal with that idiot.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I would have just told them it's not in stock and no longer being carried.

I can understand the frustration but it's not the pizza parlor's fault - talk to the phone company about getting YOUR number changed if it's that much of a problem...

Comment

I used to have this problem 2x over

Realtor - Our number was 1 digit different. People would get the number off their sign as they drove past a house for sale. We gave the the correct number - except one time the person apologized and took the number.

One day I got a near hysterical call for my mom. According to her (she had had mini strokes) my computer was getting on line and calling the house and driving her crazy. I told my boss and he let me go home. Sure enough when I got home the phone would ring and when you picked up you got a sound like when the computer was using dial up. I hung up and quickly called the realtor and told them someone had been faxing our house for hours. The person who answered was very nice and said they would post a note by the Fax and e-mail the staff so if someone was expecting a fax they could contact the sender. I called the doctor's office and they acted like a put upon 6 yo but claimed no one would fax them.

Then I called the phone company to see if they could help. The representative was very helpful. She told us to dial 9876543210# and it would stop the autoredail and hopefully the sender would check the number.

I hung up and when the phone rang I followed the instructions. A few minutes later I got an irate phone call from a different realtor including threats of suing me

Our number was one digit different than a Realtor and one digit different from a Dentist.

The Realtor's customers were polite and took the corrected number. They often had copied it in haste from a sign in front of a house for sale.

One time it was another realtor who left their fax machine on autodial for hours. We tried contacting the Realtor and Dentist but they weren't missing a fax. Then I called the phone company to see what we could do. They suggested punching in 9876543210# to the fax signal. It would knock the autodialer off line.

We did and got an irate caller from the realtor who was doing the faxing. He cursed me out and said he would sue me if his client lost the house he was trying to bid on. I told him flattly that I would testify for his client to sue him because he had been faxing a private house for HOURS. Then I gave him the number. Talked to the realtor later apparently he was quiet contrite when he contacted them.

The Dentist office was more difficult. We got calls almost daily from distressed patients. They insisted they were looking at the appointment card and dialing the correct number. One time it was an hysterical mom, whose child had an accident and knocked out an adult tooth. I gave her first aid instructions, got her to calm down, and gave her the correct number. We tried calling the office and telling them their patients were confused and got told off. We tried to pass on messages from distressed patients got told off. They wouldn't let us speak to the Dentist. Finally my Dad had enough and made an appointment. When he got there he had a word with the Dentist - they pulled the appointment cards. They were in a fancy font - the receptionist had designed them. The problem was the top of the 6 came so far down it looked like an 8 especially to an person with any vision problems. (most of the distressed patients sounded older or were obviously upset). The Dentist made his staff rewrite the number on the card, until they could be replaced with a clearer less fancy style.
              Last edited by EricKei; 02-21-2016, 06:54 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post

You can imagine .....

Back a while, a hotel must have either had a misprint or a new number, because we started getting a lot of insistent callers trying to book or change reservations. It got to the point where we just took the bookings, because at 11pm we just wanted to get off the phone & go to sleep... Tried alerting the hotel, but couldn't find any that had a number even remotely like ours! Then after a few months it ended as quickly as it had begun.
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

RUI -- Probably an advertisement with a bad number in it.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

My parents had an 800 number for their business, in addition to their regular local number. They had this for years, then one year around this time of year we started getting wrong numbers. We'd answer the phone our usual "Good morning, Roofing Co, how can I help you?" And get what was essentially angry gibberish. "I did my taxes and used the free version and you're charging me this is theft I used the FREE VERSION why am I being charged?!?"

Soooooo, a popular online tax preparation site accidentally put our 800 number in the information you see on your credit card statement. But (as far as we could tell) it was only on a limited number of statements, possibly in one geographic area? We're not sure, but quite a lot of the people had heavy accents, so we spent a while trying to understand them. Anyone ever tried to call a company like this to alert them to a misprint? It. Is. Impossible. One time we got through to someone who apologized an promised to send a check for our inconvenience, which obviously was a lie.

Know what we did? Cancelled that 800 number. It was horrible and funny at the same time. I mean, I clearly answered the phone with the roofing company name and they'd launch into a tirade without taking a breath. Did they really not wonder about the lack of a phone tree? No, of course not, my bad.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

We used to get a lot of misdials at work. One was a dept store. One was Firemen's Fund. Another was our 800 # somehow being mistaken for, I kid you not, the Grateful Dead hotline.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                        ... our 800 # somehow being mistaken for, I kid you not, the Grateful Dead hotline.
                        Me too I ate one sour too.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I think I've mentioned this on here before, but a few years ago, my cell phone number somehow got listed as contact info for the parents of "Wyatt", in relation to medical issues.

After receiving a few voice-mails from some medical clinic, I called them back to let them know they had the wrong number, and the woman whom I spoke to seemed a bit annoyed with me, like she thought I was trying to fish for info on "Wyatt" or his parents.

Comment

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
                            After receiving a few voice-mails from some medical clinic, I called them back to let them know they had the wrong number, and the woman whom I spoke to seemed a bit annoyed with me, like she thought I was trying to fish for info on "Wyatt" or his parents.
                            I had something similar. When I called the doctor's office, the person said that whoever called me was the day staff, and she was the night staff, and didn't have any of that information. I asked if she couldn't leave a message or note for the daytime staff. She couldn't, and told me to call during the day. I considered the idea that I had actually gotten an after-hours answering service, instead of the physical office, but wouldn't she have said that? I was a little cranky, and just started deleting the messages until eventually they stopped.
                            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

My childhood phone number was one off from a podiatrist's clinic. The old ladies with bad feet were awful. They REFUSED to believe I knew that I was at home, asking if I was "sure" they had the wrong number. I guess they expected me to say "oh my <expletive>, I'm at home, but I've been living in a doctor's office without knowing it!" One of them demanded to know how she'd misdailed. I don't know the foot doctor's number, I have no fracking idea.
                              "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Working...
                              X