This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “You do what with Potatoes?”

I would like to offer my first story for your entertainment from my youth. Its old but worth the funny. Some times the customers suck and sometimes you realize they are here for your entertainment.

It was back in 1993 I was working in a grocery store in Southern Idaho. Nice little resort town and I had taken a third job to make ends meet. Cooking doesn’t always pay the bills. As it’s a resort town we get no end of possible entertainment from fool customers, most days you just deal with it but sometimes you have the gleaming moment where your sarcastic nature over rides your mouth filter. I am checking a women out scanning each item and I come across a box of instant mashed potatoes. Now I hate them I am a foodie and the sheer laziness add to bad taste just makes my mind explode.

So before my mouth filter can engage I blurt out “I’m sorry ma’am I can’t sell these to you there illegal in Idaho”
    The CS looks at me and say “What? What do you mean?”
    ME: With a dead serious face I say “well this is the state of potatoes we grow and sell potatoes all over the world, these fake ones are against state law!”
    CS: looks to cashier next to me and says “Is he for real?”
    Other Cashier: “yes Ma’am he has been here longer than me he would know.”
    Me: “See ma’am I’m now going to have to report my boss for even having these in the store and he is going to get busted big time”
    CS: “Well how do I make mashed Potatoes?”
    Me: “Short description on what to do with a bag of potatoes”
    CS head off and grabs a bag of potatoes pays for everything and leaves me and the other cashier bust a gut laughing. Then Boss comes down from his office where he has been listing to the whole exchange. He looks at me and says

"Your and Asshole but that was funny… don’t do it again”

The Kicker is a week later I saw her in the store again and she was holding another box of instant potatoes she looked at me and slowly set it back on the shelf. When she got to the checkout line she had a bag of potatoes.

Well-made mashed potatoes are a delight. Yes, it takes a while to make them, but oh, they're so worth it.

Mashed potato flakes? Feh! You did this lady a favor!
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Instant mashed potatoes are the height of laziness. Well that, and instant gravy.
      Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Sort of related but not really: it is a crime to sell Spotted Cow beer anyplace but the Immoral Fairyland (see signature).

Several clearance swamp stores sell beer, including my own. My store is in the top 5 for beer sales, last I knew. The store that's number 1 is right on the border with Minnesota. So we have kind of an Eastbound & Down thing going where people from the Twin Cities are crossing the border to get their Spotted Cow fix.

I'm not allowed to refuse sale of Spotted Cow to anybody with an out-of-state ID. But I should be. More for me!

Also, Smokey And The Bandit needs to be remade, with Spotted Cow as the contraband being smuggled.
        Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 04-05-2016, 11:04 PM.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Not to be contrary, but I don't notice that large a different between flakes and real. And I'll be damned if I have to spend forever mashing and dirtying more dishes (no dishwasher) just have what I consider to be a negligible taste improvement. If you'd told me that I couldn't buy them and I thought you were serious I'd have gotten a manager involved. Sorry. I guess it's her own fault she was so stupid that she believed you.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I'll buy instant potatoes if I'm staying elsewhere (housesitting) and don't have the time to make fresh; they're decent for what they are. Also far easier to stuff a small box/envelope in my backpack for an hour commute than deal with a bulky bag.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              Also, Smokey And The Bandit needs to be remade, with Spotted Cow as the contraband being smuggled.
              But then wouldn't they have like 28 minutes to get there and back, instead of 28 hours?

Atlanta, GA to Texarkana, TX is approximately 660 miles and 10 hours' drive.

I don't know the distances between those two places you're talking about, but doubling the above means that Bandit & Snowman had roughly 8 hours "to spare" if they drove straight through.
              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Real potatoes

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                Not to be contrary, but I don't notice that large a different between flakes and real. And I'll be damned if I have to spend forever mashing and dirtying more dishes (no dishwasher) just have what I consider to be a negligible taste improvement. If you'd told me that I couldn't buy them and I thought you were serious I'd have gotten a manager involved. Sorry. I guess it's her own fault she was so stupid that she believed you.
                I can tell the diffirence between flake potatoes and PROPERLY MADE mashed potatoes, but more than once I have quickly made mashed potatoes and have them come out no better than the instant flake version.

On the other-hand, my mother who would spend lot more time than I would on making mashed potatoes always came out delicious tasting.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                  I can tell the diffirence between flake potatoes and PROPERLY MADE mashed potatoes, but more than once I have quickly made mashed potatoes and have them come out no better than the instant flake version.

On the other-hand, my mother who would spend lot more time than I would on making mashed potatoes always came out delicious tasting.
                  I like both. I can tell the difference but I happen to like both. Oh, well, no accounting for taste
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    I like both. I can tell the difference but I happen to like both. Oh, well, no accounting for taste
                    I'm with you on this one, MoonCat.
                    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                      I'm with you on this one, MoonCat.
                      My parents used to buy the brown box of "instant" potatoes when I was a kid.

It's extra work to make real mashers, but so much more worth it, to me.
                      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                        Probably has something to do with the quart of heavy cream, the pound of butter, and the half-bulb of garlic that she put in them?

(HUNGRY NOW!!)
                        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I don't mind either, depending on how lazy I'm feeling and how much other cooking has to be done, and if I have enough clean pots to spare to make them. But I must admit I can take a box of instant flakes and work miracles with it. Tastes almost as good as any other real mashed potatoes I've ever had.

Comment

Quoth Crai View Post
                            she looked at me and slowly set it back on the shelf. When she got to the checkout line she had a bag of potatoes.
                            It was a mean thing to do, but I have to admit I'm picturing her doing this and it just makes me . The look on her face in my mind's eye!
                            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                            X