Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indecisive/sucky rant... Warning LONG!

Apologizes if this isn't where this goes.

I haven't been on here very long, but here's some background. I currently work for a large library, near DC, as a part-time page. I've been working the same job for about 3-4 years now, I love my work, I love the people there (most of them anyways but that's a rant for another time). But its part-time with limited hours, benies, etc. And no room for advancement.

So I've been looking for a better job elsewhere, for about two years now. Of course the job market sucks, but I'm willing to take my time. I still live at home, so its not that big of a deal, save for the fact I want to get out.

Now for the reason for this rant: I recently applied to an awesome sounding job in WA. Its a job at a smaller insurance company, and I'd be doing Customer Service and billing (Yes I'd be the one everyone yells at). The lady who's hiring really likes me and has been helping me find an apartment, and giving me advice about the area, etc. I have an uncle up there, so I'm not leaving without a parachute.

The catch was, I'd have to get my P/C insurance license. I was told that the lady could only hire me if I got the license. She even gave me an internet site to do the course through, as well as advice, etc. And I'd be fully embursed for the cost of the course and exam. She even says she wants to hire me, if I get this license. So I'm thinking "Score! I can work on this course stuff, while I'm packing and everything and be out and in WA before the end of the month. I can take the exam and get my license, and be working towards getting my own place by the end of the month!"

Everything's going great, I'm studying hard, doing really well on my practice tests, the lady and I are still in communication. Then she tells me the DM wants to meet with me before she can give me a formal offer. No big deal, we get a date and time, and I install Skype (which I've come to loathe). The interview with the DM goes okay, I did make the mistake of being honest and telling him, when he asked for my three biggest weaknesses, that I can be shy and quiet. But I also told them that I'm stubborn. The lady who wants to hire me tells me at the end that she'll call me.

That was pretty much the end of our communication. I sent her emails with my status on my quizzes and studying. I try calling her the following Monday. I end up actually catching her Tuesday afternoon my time. She tells me she'll call me that night. Night comes around and I end up having to call her back...

Apparently the DM didn't like that I was honest about being shy and quiet sometimes. And he doesn't like that I'm way over in VA, even though its the 21st century and we've communicated pretty much face to face, and I can grab a plane and be there the next day if I wanted. And to top it all off, he brought in some people for her to interview. But she won't be making any decisions until the end of the week.

I get discouraged, and physically ill because of this news. I just spent $100 on a course, that I need to get hired, and now it looks like there's a chance I won't get it. I end up having to call the library on Wensday and letting them know about everything that's going on (they're awesome about it and pretty much everything), and I stay home to cool off.

Friday comes around, and I'm feeling better. I'm more upset about being left in the dark then the possibility that I won't be getting this job. I hear nothing from her all day, and waited until two hours before her closing time to call. And I kept calling, once every 15 mins. I'm sorry if this seems like harrassment, but I've been raised to be punctual to a fault. And the fact I could only get her voicemail was dreadfully annoying. But I don't leave any messages, save for the last once. I'm not that crazy, just very stubborn and persistant.

That was last night. This morning I waited until she had just opened for the day before calling her. I was planning on just calling once more, and then calling it a lost cause and being on my way, apparently that wasn't in the cards for me today. I actually got ahold of her! Yays! And her decision is.....

She doesn't know.

She apparently got a couple MORE applicants! And she can't make any decisions until she looks over them! That's all well and good, I'm glad she has a choice. She is a really nice woman to talk to and seems like she'd be really easy going about things. Maybe too easy going. So anyways, she tells me, once again, that she'll make her decision by the end of the week. Maybe earlier.

I wanted to scream.

At LEAST tell me if I'm still in the running for this job! I have a lot of things to get settled before I can move, I have a lot of things I must sell before I can go, not to mention my car! Eeeevil car that it is, its still a car that I have to sell before I can go anywhere! (I'm not making a 2-day, non stop road trip in it, its evil and I wouldn't trust it to make it even half of the way there before something going wrong.) But the longer she puts off letting me know ANYTHING, the longer I have to take to get ready, let alone the longer I have to return to studying (I have 20 hours out of 40, but after last Friday's "fun" I decided it would be better to wait until I know I have said job before I stressed out over studying.)

I have been putting in applications all over the place. I even applied to another insurance company in the same city. The thought of working at a competitor after all the stress and worry this insurance company has given me make me Specially since they'll give me paid training for the same job and license!

Anyways, what's ya'll's opinon on this whole mess? Should I actually stay optimistic about the job, or expect her to call (or more likely I call her) and her end up telling me I'm not getting the offer? I am trying to be optimistic after everything, but its getting to be to the point where I'm just ready for her to say I'm not hired so I can move on with my life.

I'd look someplace else.

If the place is that disorganized working there is probably a bad idea even if you were somehow, eventually hired.

Also by not giving you any information and refusing to give you any updates they may just be avoiding confrontation, and are just hoping you'll go away on your own.

Just keep looking for work elsewhere. Unless you have it in writing that you will be reimbursed I seriously doubt you'll get anything for the courses you took.

Consider it a lesson learned, but now that you have that certification you can then put it on your resume when looking for other jobs.

Comment

I agree with Hyndis on this one. I always view employment as a contract between the indivdual and the employer. If they are causing you this much stress before you even work there, it is a red flag. I think a lot of people forget to worry about themselves since we're all short on job openings right now. People jump at jobs that they wouldn't take if they had a choice.

It sounds like your situation is stable and you do have money coming in. I would keep looking. It's fine enough to say to yourself, "Well, if it works out well in the end with this job, I'd be happy." But I would stop putting in so much work and worry over it. You've already gone above and beyond what is reasonably expected of someone with just an "applicant" status.

Comment

Write it off.

The situation sounds hinky... if you were supposed to have a specific licence and the company is to pay for it.. then they should have hired you first, then gotten you studying and applying for the licence. Not you get licenced first, then they hire you. 95% of business works this way, hire then get the appropriate licencing. Even for lawyers... they can take the bar after they've been hired. (Yes, you can be licenced for things ahead of time, but that's on your own dime)

She was stalling on you, and not sure why, but it doesn't sound on the up and up. Apply with a different company and no matter how sweet and nice she is, you are going to get screwed, if you aren't already with the $100.
        Last edited by r2cagle; 04-19-2010, 03:54 PM.
        Make a list of important things to do today.
        At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
        Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

I was afraid of that, but ya'll are right. I haven't heard anything from them since, and I'm thinking I probably won't either. I'm not sure its actually the lady that's the problem or if its the DM, but whichever it is, they're definitely giving me too much grief for the job to be worth it. And I haven't even started said job!

Unortunately with the program I'm studying for the licensing I can't get a refun, so I might go ahead and get the license. Still debating on that. Trouble being I'm studying for the exam in WA, not in VA.... hmm..

Ah well, thank ya'll for your advice. I have been looking elsewhere, actually had an interview yesterday, but was a commission job. Not something I'm interested in, I'm not a salesman, heh.
          Last edited by Lady J'ssem; 04-20-2010, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Quoth Lady J'ssem View Post

Unfortunately with the program I'm studying for the licensing I can't get a refund, so I might go ahead and get the license. Still debating on that. Trouble being I'm studying for the exam in WA, not in VA.... hmm..

I'm not a salesman, heh.
            Well, if you are already well into the program and it's something that runs along your interests and you have the time and inclination to finish it, assuming that it's a recognized, validated licensing program, go for it.

And don't just say 'no' out-of-hand to a job if it provides opportunities for learning and growth. You'd be surprised at what you are capable of doing and the things you learn always seem to build on each other. I never thought that my low-wage job as housekeeper in a hospital would help me in my current job, but some of the lessons I learned have stayed with me and just helps me be a better person and employee. I wish you the best of luck, because it's just around the corner!
            Make a list of important things to do today.
            At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
            Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Send her a bill for the course.

Comment

Working...
              X