Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That's funny, the waiting room has AC. (kinda-long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's funny, the waiting room has AC. (kinda-long)

Time for another story from my time in the trenches at the lube shop.

One bright, sunny morning we had an suv pull up to the shop. Nothing too out of the ordinary, until the window rolled down to reveal a very, uh, well-fed woman. I thanked the good, sweet lord above that I was working the pit that day, so I didn't have to deal with her. So I head downstairs, get my gloves on, my tools ready, getting ready for the vehicle. Which is still sitting out side. With the woman still sitting inside. In the middle of a quickly escalating argument with the CSR. Over whether she can drive her own vehicle in or not. Eventually the SC gets her way and drives into the shop. Now, it's late June at the time. So it's pretty warm, even if you're not sitting in a car with the windows rolled up and no ac, because the system requires the car to be running. I'm running the standard oil change, so the pan is draining, and I'm about elbow deep in the engine loosening the oil filter when I hear the courtesy tech yell something about no oil in the engine. I figure he's talking to the upper bay tech, so I don't worry about it.

Then the engine turns over.

I jerk my arm out of the engine and fall to the catwalk. I sat for a moment, making sure I wasn't hurt, then ran upstairs. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it sure wasn't what I saw. This cow had locked her doors to prevent the employees from turning the car off, and was screaming through the window about the heat, and how she was going to pass out if she went another minute without air conditioning. I took a moment, watching the screaming match, and walked back downstairs. I put the drain plug back in the oil pan, walked back upstairs, poured six quarts of oil into her engine and pulled the bay door up. By this point my coworkers and miss SC have stopped screaming at each other long enough to see what I'm doing. I slammed her hood closed, walked over to her window and, in the most controlled voice I was capable of at the time, told her to take her buisness somewhere else. She gave me the finger and tore out of the shop.

I had some choice words after she left, but I understand this forum doesn't condone violence against customers, so I'll just keep those to myself.

Quoth lumlite View Post
    Then the engine turns over.
    Good lord! What a tragedy that could have been!!!

Please tell me you put back the OLD oil in her car!

Comment

OMG... Who the hell does that lady think she is? It's a good thing you weren't hurt, but something tells me that lady could have cared less. How hard it is to get out of your car and wait in the waiting room like everyone else?

If I read this story right, she started the engine, and had it running with no oil in the engine? Something tells me that check engine light is going to come on in the very near future.
      A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Afraid not, Quicksilver, she got six quarts of free oil. She just can't come back. Ever.

You read it right, IT Grunt. No oil in the engine when she decided to crank it.

Comment

Quoth lumlite View Post
          Afraid not, Quicksilver, she got six quarts of free oil. She just can't come back. Ever.
          I understand why you had to do that. She came in with oil in her car, so she had to leave that way. You did the right thing and I am very glad you weren't hurt. Wow.

Comment

Thank goodness you appear to have quick reflexes and were able to be out of harms way!

Sweating like a pig would be a lot less uncomfortable than a lawsuit and having to pay for your medical bills. But that woman appears to not have very good thinking skills, so I won't talk anymore....
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
              Thank goodness you appear to have quick reflexes and were able to be out of harms way!

Sweating like a pig would be a lot less uncomfortable than a lawsuit and having to pay for your medical bills. But that woman appears to not have very good thinking skills, so I won't talk anymore....
              Like a pig?
              "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Over whether she can drive her own vehicle in or not. Eventually the SC gets her way and drives into the shop.
                Had this not happened, neither would the rest.

Never let the customer force their will when they try breaking a rule.
                This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
                  Had this not happened, neither would the rest.

Never let the customer force their will when they try breaking a rule.

The problem is, according to the owners, this isn't a rule. If the customer wants to drive their car in, then they can drive their car in. The owners have backed customers on this issue before. We can tell them that we're not responsible if they end up in the pit, that's it.

Comment

How can anyone be so stupid!? That story just floors me, but you definately did the right thing, limlite.
                    "Sir... sir... diagnosing computer problems over the phone is like diagnosing brain cancer with a pointy stick"
                    -ahanix1989, inspired by bash.org

Comment

She's lucky she didn't "crack" the engine without any oil in it. Then she really would have been SCREAMING!!.....LOL.

Comment

What the hell?! I am perfectly content to hand over my key and have a seat with my book. I have no desire to be in the garage...that's why I don't do it myself

(yes, uh huh, that's why...)
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                          She's lucky she didn't "crack" the engine without any oil in it. Then she really would have been SCREAMING!!.....LOL.
                          She's definitely lucky it didn't seize up on her, but if she had it running for any length of time without oil in it, it couldn't have done any good to that engine. She just shortened its life I suspect, setting in motion a major can o' whoop ass from karma.
                          A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Wow, just, wow. What a nasty piece of work. I'm glad you're OK, lumlite.

Honestly, I'm afraid to drive my car into the oil-change shop. I figure I am so flaky sometimes, I'll probably end up in the pit. So I take a book, or my DS lite and go sit in the waiting room.

Comment

Actually I still get cheap oil changes from the dealer so I have to park in the service lot and go in to the office (so they can tell all the other things my car is due for...); the service adviser takes the keys there and gives them to the garage when they're ready to work on it.
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X